Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old October 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

And I've been neglectful of my birdly posting here, so here are some shots from this fall:

A fall chestnut-sided warbler:
Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, hatch year fem 8-27-12.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  189.1 KB

We were flush with Common yellowthroats this year. Here's one from September, foraging for insects:
Name:  Common yellowthroat, molting male 8-30-12 C.jpg
Views: 6480
Size:  102.1 KB

The cistern area was very popular for bathing this fall. Even the warblers were coming to it. This is a Nashville warbler:
Name:  Nashville warbler 9-12-12 B.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  62.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

For the very first time we hosted a nesting pair of house wrens. Dang, they're so much fun to watch!
Name:  House wren 9-7-12 D.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  71.4 KB

Lots of vireos this year, including this yellow-throated vireo from September:
Name:  Yellow-throated vireo 9-5-12.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  67.6 KB

More golden-crowned kinglets than usual, too:
Name:  Golden-crowned kinglet 9-12-12.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  48.8 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Also lots of Eastern towhees, white-throated sparrows and thrushes (the one in the shot is a Swainson's thrush).

Name:  Eastern towhee, first fall male 10-1-12 A.jpg
Views: 3837
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  White-throated sparrow 9-16-12 A.jpg
Views: 4791
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  Swainson's thrush 9-1-12 C.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  50.7 KB

Old October 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And some of our more unusual (for us) visitors:

A Brown thrasher:
Name:  Brown thrasher 9-10-12 A.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  115.4 KB

A Great crested flycatcher:
Name:  Great crested flycatcher, possibly hatch year 7-7-12 A.jpg
Views: 5901
Size:  66.8 KB

A fem Scarlet tanager:
Name:  Scarlet tanager, fem 8-19-12 A.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  120.0 KB

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Hazel, I'm sorry taht with renos, vet visits and other stuff, this is the first chance I've had to check out your photos. The woodcock is neat. I've never seen one of those.
And I like the ones of the titmouse. He looks kind of like a small gray cardinal with the crest.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope nothing too serious with the vet visits!

I wish I could post a video a friend of mine put on FB. It's of a woodcock doing his bobbing walk, looking for food! It's a hoot!!

Are you gonna post before and after pics of your renos?

Old November 8th, 2012, 01:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

This is more a Canadian bird than a Wisconsin bird, but she came to visit me. She's about 250 - 300 miles out of normal range. Wish she'd brought the Mr. with her, but alas, she appears to be alone.

This is a female Pine grosbeak:

Name:  Pine grosbeak, fem 11-3-12 H.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  61.3 KB

I hope she sticks around a while, but probably she'll only be here a few more days and then cut out for someplace else...

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Thankfully, the vet visits were just annual vaccines/checkups, but the first one caught an ear infection that needed treatment and a follow up to ensure the medication worked.
the renos...Um, it's my parents house, I'm not sure they want pictures on the internet, but I can probably get away with pics of the four-legs inspecting the new fixtures and clutter created by emptying an entire room.
I like your grosbeak. I'll have to look up that species to see what the male looks like. I'm familiar with the rosy breasted grosbeak, but not the pine grosbeak. There are so many species out there!
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, no prob about the pics. I understand not wanting too much info out there

I think I saw a thread about inspection crews, so I suspect I'll be seeing your guys in action when I get to it!

Glad the vet visits weren't too serious!

The male pine grosbeak looks like the fem, only he's a pinkish raspberry color. Very handsome!

Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

TJTwitter has always been a favourite of mine and going to bump in back into today's posts.

While sitting in my make-shift Summer Phlox and Rose Bush Blind, I was able to capture the flight of these little ones coming in for a landing and an evening snack.

Name:  IMG_4880-1.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4879-2.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4888.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  52.0 KB

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Awesome!

Old August 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

August 2013 hummers at Hazel Run-migration

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Been a while since I visited this thread but I got a couple of good shots.
One of a yellow warbler and one of a mourning dove.
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2014, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love those, obc!! Especially that warbler action shot!! Totally awesome!

Old July 17th, 2014, 03:53 PM

I have some more to share. The river is only a 10-15 minute walk away, and these are some of my favourite sightings. Starting off, the great blue heron.
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2014, 03:55 PM

Next, his smaller relative, the Green Heron. (Thanks for the identification, Hazel!) I love how bright their eyes are.
Attached Images

Last edited by ownedbycats; July 18th, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Another wading bird. I'm not sure of the exact species. A family of mallards in front, and a mother wood duck and her baby in the back.
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2014, 04:01 PM

The swallows are too fast for me to catch in flight (so far anyway) but will occasionally oblige by perching and sitting still. The speckled bird is, if I'm identifying it right, a female red wing black bird.
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Awesome pics, obc!!

Your second heron species is a Green heron. I've been trying to catch a photo op with one since we moved here, but they don't seem to be very common in this county. I've only seen one in 10 years and it was too far away to photograph. You got some great shots of yours!

I think your mystery wader is a Solitary sandpiper.

And it looks like your kingbird has been eating mulberries! Or committing serial murders!

I wish I had some pics for you, but my tendons are getting aggravated by the camera again and so far this summer I haven't gotten many shots. Got some hummingbird videos, though:

https://www.facebook.com/hazelrunpac...9051073&type=2 (click on the little HD in the lower right of the video player and the quality improves somewhat)

And this spring we had some cool visitors:

Scarlet tanagers were coming to the feeders for sunflower hearts (surprised the heck out of me since everyone always told me they were more interested in things like meal worms and grape jelly!):

Name:  Scarlet tanager, male 5-8-14 K.jpg
Views: 4108
Size:  74.2 KB

We had a new warbler, one more common to the eastern side of the state--a Black-throated blue warbler:

Name:  Black-throated blue warbler 5-17-14 B.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  55.6 KB

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and a couple Harris's sparrows!

Name:  Harris s sparrow 5-14-14 K.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  136.2 KB

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:35 AM

Hazel - The tanager and the warbler are stunning. And that's a good close up of the sparrow.
Do you mostly hand hold your camera? Have you thought about something like a monopod? I'd been hand holding all my shots, until I got this new lens. I can't hand hold it and have to use a monopod. I thought it would be a real pain, and it was at first, but now that I'm getting used to it it's really helpful. The one I've got has tiny little feet at the bottom for extra stability. It folds up fairly short too.
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooooo....how big is your new lens? I looove new lenses!

I do have a couple monopods--one actually detaches from my tripod, but is heavier; the other is just a simple rifle rest from WalMart (I think it was less than $10). I do use them if I intend to go out specifically to shoot video or if I sit in the blind, but most of the time I just bring the camera along when I'm filling and cleaning feeders. The camera sits in the sled that I use to drag out the seed for the day and both hands are busy with the feeders. I tried bringing the monopod along, but I kept losing it--it would roll off the sled or I'd prop it up on the fence and forget about it till I ran across it the next morning! Good thing it's plastic cuz it got left out in the rain a few times!

I do tend to use the monopods more when my wrists are bothering me and it does help. It's not just the weight of the camera, though--when the tendons are acting up, keyboarding only makes the problem worse. So editing is out. I do have a few shots in the camera from June and July, but since they're in RAW format, I have to edit before I can share...which means lots of computer time.

Old July 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

They're all beautiful birds but I really love the Scarlet tanagers ,
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Hazel - I'm sorry to hear that a monopod/tripod isn't the solution. And to not even be able to play with them on the computer I admit, post-processing isn't my favorite part, I'd rather be out and about. But if it's raining, and the indoor fuzzies refuse to cooperate...
I just got this lens. I've been saving up for a true long lens for a looong time (or at least it feels like it). Tamron just came out, beginning of the year, with a new zoom lens, and then I had to wait for the Nikon version to ship. 150mm-600mm 4.3f-6.3f (first f-stop may be slightly off). It's about half the price of the cheapest Nikon prime, and when you add in extenders to get to 600mm, it's reasonable (If you can call any lens reasonable) It's not very fast, but the cheapest prime I could afford, with extenders to get it to 600mm would be just as slow. It IS heavy. I didn't realize just how much difference the extra weight would make. The autofocus chews up battery power, I think because of that extra weight, but Nikon batteries carry a pretty good charge. it's also quite long. It felt very clumsy at first, but not as much after a few days in a row of taking it out.
All this makes a great excuse to go out taking pictures as practice. Almost all those shots were taken at 600mm. I would never have gotten anywhere near close enough with my old lens.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, boy! Definitely lens envy here! Would love to have the reach of a 500, and a 600. Well, that. Would. Be. Awesome! I've heard about the Tamron 600--there were a lot of people waiting impatiently for the shipments to catch up to the orders.

As an afterthought, I picked up an extra battery when I bought my camera. Best move I ever made. That way I always have a fresh battery available. Now if I just had a freshly charged memory at all times so I'd remember to bring that extra battery!

Old July 18th, 2014, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
They're all beautiful birds but I really love the Scarlet tanagers ,
I have to admit that they're a favorite of mine, too, Barkingdog. We see them every year--they breed in the pines along the power line right-of-way--but only rarely do they come to the feeders. This year we hit the jackpot cuz it was so cold--they were coming in for the seed daily for quite a while.

Name:  Scarlet tanager, male 5-8-14 H.jpg
Views: 8663
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  Scarlet tanager and Rose-breasted grosbeaks 5-10-14.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  76.4 KB

Old July 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I have to admit that they're a favorite of mine, too, Barkingdog. We see them every year--they breed in the pines along the power line right-of-way--but only rarely do they come to the feeders. This year we hit the jackpot cuz it was so cold--they were coming in for the seed daily for quite a while.

Attachment 80502

Attachment 80503
I have never seen a Scarlet tanager before , we have redwing black birds out here but I do not seen a lot anymore. The animals and birds are losing their habitat out here at an alarming rate and some people do not seem to care.
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There was a Northern hawk owl in Eau Claire through most of December and I kept hoping to see it when I'd visit town, but no luck. 16th time's the charm, though. A friend and I went over to the neighborhood the owl's been hanging around and, with a little help from some other birders, we managed to not only see, but also to photograph this little beauty. Definitely a life bird for me--I've been hoping to see one for, literally, decades.

Name:  Northern hawk-owl, first glimpse 12-31-14 B.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  Northern hawk-owl, Lars road EC closer 12-31-14 B.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  125.4 KB

Name:  Northern hawk-owl, Lars road EC closer 12-31-14 D.jpg
Views: 2696
Size:  120.5 KB

Old August 9th, 2015, 05:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Just a few summer hummers:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, male 6-8-15 B.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, morning male 6-16-15 D.jpg
Views: 3303
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, morning male 6-16-15 H.jpg
Views: 3876
Size:  35.5 KB

Old August 9th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

They're jewels with wings !