Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Unhappy oh the food problem again.!!!

Roland has been on Solid gold for about a week and a half and he still has the loose poops! i dont know what to do. could it be his treats? ive been giving him rice and tuna juice to try firm it up and it helps sometimes. i give him yogurt every morning too. he gets the Greenies as treats and some cat milk and i cant figure out what im doing wrong. any ideas?? poor boy.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Have you tried proccess of elimination? That's a lot of stuff, right there. Get rid of it all but the kibble?
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM

i guess but what if its the food? my poor boy. i guess i will have to try that. he loves the yogurt so much in the morning! okay i will try. maybe just a tiny bit of it in the morning and nothing else.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:06 PM

I'm not a kitty person, so I'm not sure... But with dogs, we'd cut back a bit on the food... Just a bit, to see if it helps at all.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM

he had absolutly no problems with the Neutro. its just since ive started trying new foods. how long does it take for them to get used to the new food? it took about a week to phase the Solid Gold. i thought that was slow enought!
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Which Nutro did you feed, and which Solid Gold did you switch to? Sometimes the change in protein will affect them (ie. chicken to lamb).
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Nutro also has things like beet pulp to harden the stool... Have you tried probiotics?
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:30 PM

good point. the Neutro was the natural choice which is chicken i guess and the Solid Gold is Katz-en-flocken. lamb and chicken meal first two ingridients. will he get used to it or should i try to find a chicken one?
Prin he gets about a tablespoon of yogurt evey morning and i do add digestive enzymes too (although not ever day)
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Just a thought, but have you always given him yogurt? Some cats are mildly lactoce intollerant, which is why I ask. Also, make sure it's plain, sugar free, and has live cultures.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM

no only since i tried to change him to EVO. it helped to stop his diarrhea from that (with chicken and rice). i stopped the EVO and tried the SG. i figured if it helped so fast with that time it should help now. it is plain sugar free. apparently yogurt is fine cause it doesnt have the indigestible lactose that milk has. (i read that just the other day)
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
-

I think you're giving him too much. I would just feed him kibble for awhile until his system settles.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Oh, really? I didn't know that! How much are you feeding (and how often)? Smaller meals do help...

If he was on chicken though, it could be the lamb that's not sitting right. What have you tried so far (and how long did you try them for)?

I'm sorry your kitty has gastro-intestinal upset. :sad:
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM

well when i got him i changed him from Nutram to Neutro straight off. not even a hint of stomach upset. then to EVO which was horrible on my poor boy. even 8 pieces of EVO in his food gave him loose poop. so i gave him chicken and rice and some yogurt for one day and it was back to normal. after a week of normal poop i started to introduce the SG. been about a week and a half and hes struggling. but not all the time. thats why im wondering if its not the kibble but something else. (i have given him yogurt all along since the end of the EVO)
he seems to havedifferent poop every day. some normal and some loose. and some half and half today its pretty bad but yesterday it wasnt so bad. almost normal.

Last edited by RolandsMom; March 28th, 2007 at 10:05 PM.