Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Declawed cat needs a buddy

Hi everyone,

Glad to be here and this is my first post.

I adopted a cat that was already declawed a few years ago and now I really want to get another cat. I am against declawing but I am afraid that a cat with claws would harm my cat Sammy? Should I be concerned?
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try being a foster mom to another cat with the plan of adopting it and see how the cats get along . Sammy may just not want to share his home or you with another cat and hiss at it .

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/questions.html This web site tell about a declawed cat living with clawed cats and the declawed one hissing at other cats.

Last edited by Barkingdog; March 25th, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:04 PM

I would search your local animal shelter for a declawed cat. Bringing in a cat with claws would be unfair to Sammy in my opinion. Good luck!
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum Normad!

I've either had clawed OR declawed cats, but never both.

I'm assuming the clawed cat would make the declawed cat's life miserable...but is that a certainty? I'd be curious to know what other members think about this.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:18 PM

Hi normad;

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully we can shed some light on your problem. I have found through trial and error that the best way to introduce a new Cat to a household is to set up a safe room. The safe room would have to be set up in such a manner that Sammy would not have access to it, and it would be set up to house the new addition for a period of 5 to 7 days. It would have to have a litterbox, food, and water, and a cosy secluded spot to sleep. The newbie should also have some items to play with. Try to set up the last day or two of the introduction period so it falls on a weekend, and you can devote plenty of time to the two cats, and act as referee if need be.

Really take your time when you're introducing the newbie to Sammy. Sam has already divided the dwelling into territorials for everything that is living in there, and now the territorial will have to be changed in order to accommodate the new Cat. Something to remember about cats if they get into severe fights they don't act like dogs and humans. Dogs and humans and some other social animals have three avenues in a case like that fight, flight, or submit. But cats only have two and that's fight or flight. If the ordeal was severe enough there is a possibility that the new addition would have to go.

I was talking to a friend of ours about your concerns over Sammy's declawing, and she said there should not be really any problems. She had one declawed In a household with five others cats and had no issues. She also said that she knows of other people in the same position having no problems, and she should have a good idea - she has been working in animal rescue for years.

I am enclosing a couple of websites dealing with that animal introduction which could be of use to you.

http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.corne...newcathome.pdf

http://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats/feline...pets/index.cfm

The best of luck with your endeavours. It's going to take some time and TLC but I think done properly everything will work out. As Marko requested please keep us informed. We are very interested in how it will turn out, and hopefully it will be a pleasant and fruitful introduction.:
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:58 AM

Thank you all for the advice and welcomes. Maybe a rescue should be the first place I look when I am ready. But in case that doesn't work out thanks for all those the details reg!
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I found this web site that sound good to me , when you bring any new pet into your home it needs to introduce to your other pets slowly.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...2205648AAit3wx