Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 13th, 2014, 03:50 PM

Incessant Cat Meowing, Nothing so far helps

I have this cat, his name is Bertticus von Fuzzypants, Bert for short. He is two years old and a rescue animal. The lady we got him from had a LOT of cats and a LOT of kids crammed into a house. We know he has been abused and mistreated as my husband can pet him all he likes, he just loves it, but me... He looks at me like Im the devil and bites me. I pull my hand away and he cringes like I will hit him. I have never harmed an animal in my life and wouldnt start now. Poor little guy. I also have another cat, Sasha, shes just above one year old and is the princess of the world. Amazing darling cat, spoilt to the point of insanity. She isnt the problem.

At 4 am every morning and most days its starts at 2 am Bert will come to our door and start shaking it, sounds like a linebacker slamming into it. He is a bigger cat so I get that he is strong. He starts wailing like hes on fire, and it doesnt stop until I get up. I know I am supposed to ignore this behaviour and for a month myself and my husband tried but it didnt stop. I will these days get up at 4 am to allow my husband to sleep just a little bit longer but Im wearing myself out with this.

I understand he has seperation anxiety and no I cannot have them sleep in our room, tried that and we didnt get any sleep at all. He has been to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with him.

We have tried putting him in the laundry room, both of them at night with food and water, they have a cat tree out there and their litter box but he destroys the room and is ripping apart the door. Have tried the water spritzing and the whole lot, play before sleep and the diffuser and nothing has worked.

I am at my wits end here and if I dont get some sleep it isnt going to be pretty. Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Saetet
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Hi Saetet;

Welcome to the form. I am sorry to hear of your trouble with Bert. Situations like this can be very frustrating at times. Something I came across a few years back might be the answer you're looking for its called Ssscat Cat Repellant. It's a pressurised can of air with the motion sensor mounted on top. If it was put around the doorway when Bert went to go through it would hit him with a stream of air plus a hissing sound which would have a tendency to deter him from entering the room. The one problem is that it will not discriminate between cats so it will target Sasha as well as Bert.

Here is a product review of the item for you to have a look at and see if will work for you. If you do decide to go after the Ssscat Cat Repellant please let us know how it works. I never did get one but I did think it was a great idea for one problem Cat. The problem was there were four other cats that could be unduly affected by it.

http://cats.about.com/cs/behavior2/gr/scccat.htm

This system beats the spray bottle. In due time the cat relates the spray to the bottle, and the person behind it. This way there is nobody directly involved that the cat can relate it to.

Best of luck finding a remedy for your problem, and hopefully there are some other members with ideas for you.
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

There is thing you plug into the outlet and give off a sense that help cats relax. It looks like night light .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121286594708?lpid=82 A vet office use these to help cats relax when they being seen by the vet.
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

"We have tried putting him in the laundry room, both of them at night with food and water, they have a cat tree out there and their litter box but he destroys the room and is ripping apart the door."

But can you sleep undisturbed while they are in that room?

If the answer is yes, I might suggest "protecting" that room better so that less things get destroyed. How are they destroying that room though?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM

hi sateat- your bert needs to get adjusted to his home. I just lost my beloved coco on 1/11/14 from old age medical problems. I had another cat black/white calico cat died in 11//12/09 from urine blockage. Now esau/cat 13/14 yrs old use to greet coco with a kiss at the door. he is the only one left. Esau slept with me on my right side of the bed. I tried to discourage this all the time but if I closed the bedroom door he would scratch that door like into shreds, hes got a loud meow and living in a apt complex u cannot have a screeching cat meowing all night long, so I let him in because I had to go to work. I sleep on a twin size so u can imagine how little space I had. I recommend going to the vet and asking about a mild tranquilzer, low dosage. I gave it scarssely to my coco ecause he had ccd. and he would roam the apt at 3 am and bang into furniture because he was blind. the aroma spray sounds good but check with his vet. Now that coco is gone and esau knows this-animals know when one is missing or gone has been sleeping on the sofa which I never thought would happen.

He slept with me in the bed for 11 yrs. He is very attached to me when I am looking at tv he flops down on my chest. If u want to respond back to me im here as sweetheart1. I live in nyc,ny--do u? bye. Some cats express themselves as howlers MEOW,MEOW,MEOW! DAYTIME ISNOT SO BAD BUT WE NEED TO SLEEP. GO TO THE VET AND ASK ABOUT THE PILL.