Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Vomiting at night

I need some suggestions. I have a problem with TT. For the last couple of weeks and only at night he has been throwing up once. At all other times he is the same cat. He eats, sleeps, plays, wrestles, and farts. Smelly farts. One day I did see him swallow hard a few times like he was nauseous but nothing else. He drinks water probably 4 or 5 times a day. He has a cup in the sink he likes to drink out of that is changed every time I am near the sink.
I made an appt and took him to the vet yesterday. Besides saying that he could test for pancreatitis which in a cat as young as TT is would be highly unusual he wasn't sure. He gave me Tonic-Lax in case it's a hairball that TT is trying to bring up. I am not using it because of the mineral oil in it. But I really don't think it is a hairball. I need to find a new vet who will delve a little deeper into issues but that is an all together other subject.
My indoor kitties stopped eating Wellness a few months ago. I can not get them interested in it again. At the moment they are eating Performatrin Ultra Chicken Stew and Turkey Stew and Merricks occasionally. They really don't seem to like Merricks much. I know the Performatrin is not the greatest but can't find anything better in the store. I would love to get them on other kinds but not much available in Pet Valu. The closest Global is about 12 k away. They have Taste of the Wild dry down but the five of them only eat about half a cup between them a day. I have also been giving him about 1/2 a teaspoon of yogurt a day. He has no interest in the Temptations treats the others go crazy for.
The only other difference there has been in the last few weeks is that I have changed to Swheat Scoop for litter. TT always gets his nose right down into it searching for the right spot to relieve himself. I am wondering if he may have ingested some of it and it is causing problems.
Sorry this is so long. I am trying to get all the information in.
Is it possible TT is having allergy issues? If so, I will cut out chicken/poultry foods. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well, ummmm, I don't us Swheat kitty litter so if you want to find out if he is allergic you could send him my way for a bit. I'll return him, I promise .

Seriously, I really don't have any suggestions for you. I find my cats also have been off Wellness so I stopped buying it for them. Even Rose seems to be put off lately by it. I did find that Instinct mixed with raw really did a great job on Jasper (who has a sensitive digestive system) and Sweet Pea (who had a stinky digestive system). Puddles who is my vomitter also has done terrific on the Instinct/Raw combo.

Hopefully somebody else will have some better ideas so he gets better

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
-

Not My Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Well, ummmm, I don't us Swheat kitty litter so if you want to find out if he is allergic you could send him my way for a bit. I'll return him, I promise .

Don't believe L4H Gerri

Hopefully somebody else will have some better ideas so he gets better
Me too, although that sounds a possible solution.

Sorry no advice from me 14k, hopefully it is nothing seriouse with MY boy Timmy
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,my cats vomit occasionally,for different reasons,I had bought some Go Natural dry food,Rocky threw up so I quit it.
It could be the litter,they all react differently to things,they are all little individuals,what one tolerates,another might not.
I really have no answer for you,but if you have not changed anything,other than the litter,I would suspect the litter.
Maybe when I visit,I'll just have to take him with me back home,he'd love my big boys
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I need some suggestions. I have a problem with TT. For the last couple of weeks and only at night he has been throwing up once.
Does he barf up food or just liquid? If liquid, is it foamy? How long after he's eaten does it happen, and is it always around the same time?

Some cats get a little nauseous if their stomach is empty, in which case frequent small meals usually help.

Could be his intestinal bacteria need some balancing (stinky farts are a symptom). The yogurt may not be enough, which is why I prefer probiotic capsules from the health food store. They have a much higher potency and you only need to mix a small pinch with wet food a couple times a day. Natural Factors makes a good one with 12 different organisms in it: http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/Ultim..._p_17-218.html You could try giving TT about 1/6th of a capsule twice a day and see if that helps.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, I'm sorry the little guy is having tummy issues. When my gang were having their tummy issues, the vet gave me Cimetidine for the nausea and tummy and Flagyl for diarrhea. Maybe you can request some Cimetedine to ease his tummy.

I use Swheat Scoop, but mine have never reacted in a bad way. I've also been giving them some probiotics in their food once a day and so far no issues.

I stopped giving mine Wellness as well, quite a while ago. I think the formula changed. I give them Innova, but now and then they turn their noses, so what I've been doing is, I grind a bag of treats, Temptations, in a coffee grinder. And I add some sprinkles of it on their food. They LOVE their treats so they dig in to their food when it has the sprinkles.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mmmm, not sure sending my baby away would solve his problem. Sure woudn't help me! Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

SCM - Thanks for the name of the probiotics. I wondered if maybe that would help him. It sure can't hurt.
YOu asked about the vomit. Mostly waterish with small amounts of food and possibly a little amount of fur mixed in. Not foamy. I leave out the canned food they don't eat for a few hours after. None of them eat a great amount when it is first opened. I am hoping to go to Global and find some different foods they may want to try. So far anything I try their turn they noses up at.
I seriously hope I can find something to help him soon. I feel so sorry for the little bugger.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 14+kitties; April 17th, 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: my spelling is horrible!
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Have you considered homecooking for the indoor kitties 14+ ? Probably a lot cheaper than the higher quality canned food...and perhaps something TT can better digest?

We use the Natural Factors probiotics when needed as well and are really satisfied with it.

A big smooch for TT from me .
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You are right, LP, home made raw is much cheaper than most cheap foods. I estimate it costs me about 45-50 cents for 5.5 oz of raw. The downside is that it is time consuming.

As for the kitties turning up their noses, open the can when they are very, very hungry. They are more apt to try something different.

There is another great treat that cats I know love and that is Almo, it is for supplemental feeding only, but doesn't have all the junk fillers that other cat food has. Putting that on top of new canned food may help entice your kitties. It is canned and should available at Global.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
YOu asked about the vomit. Mostly waterish with small amounts of food and possibly a little amount of fur mixed in. Not foamy.

Fagan does this quite often, but he's a regurgitator, he eats, or drinks too much as the case was yesturday and then barfs it back up a few minutes later. Yesturdays was mostly water that he had been drinking from the tap, the vomit was projectile (about 3 feet long!) and at least a cup of water or so (with some treats, etc mixed in). Maybe TT's got a small tummy and he tries to put too much in all at once?

Hope TT is feeling better soon!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks for the well wishes ladies. Today I went to a pharmacy and got DDS Acidophilus with FOS in powder form. It is stored in the fridge. The bottle, if it's the right stuff, will last a long, long time. That's good because it is very expensive!
Then I got a variety of cat food to see if Mr Picky and his minions will deign to eat at least one of them. I got a few cans of BG chicken, turkey and beef for supplemental feeding hoping that if TT wouldn't touch the new cat food he would at least eat a small amount of it. Also am giving Eagle Pack a try again and Merrick's Turdukten (the only one they would eat out of a variety pack).
So I tried Your Highness with a little of the BG turkey that had a pinch of the acidophilus in it. I have never seen a cat turn down turkey before. What a boy! I finally did manage to convince him to eat a small amount of it. Let's hope he got enough of the probiotics to at least help him a little.
I am thinking it would be much easier to give him his meds in a small amount of yogurt. At least then I know he will eat it! Good thing I love him!!!!

Oh, and I am still looking at home cooking/raw options!
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

That TT He's lucky he's so darn cute! Hopefully he'll find one of the foods to his liking.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
150% PRO S/N

You are so right AG! for a good night tonight.
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww TT,it's soooo frustrating when you try so hard to get them to eat,especially with medicine in the food.
Vinnie will eat anything,even with the meds for the runs(due to antibiotics),he laps everything up,he's my little pig-let and thank dog for that.
Hope litte TT eats soon,we don't want him to loose any weight
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
-

How is little Timmy doing today?
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
150% PRO S/N

Last night he threw up again but it wasn't as much and was full of fur. I'm wondering if he has been trying to get this up for the last while now and not having any luck. You wouldn't think he would have that big of a problem being short haired. Vet sure didn't.
I am going to keep on giving him the probiotics though in a little yogurt. It's the only way I can get him to eat right away. I noticed today he wasn't nearly as gassy when I picked him up. That's a good thing!
Hoping tonight for no vomit!
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope he was just trying to get rid of the fur and now Timmy's Tummy will be all better He's just too cute to have an upset tummy!

Good luck tonight!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
-

Could he have swallowed something that is causing a partial blockage?
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't think he would have that big of a problem being short haired. Vet sure didn't.
All depends on how much he's shedding, grooming & if he also grooms the others.

Are you still using the sWheat Scoop? Many cats will eat the litter cuz it is actually made from a food source. This combined with the hairball may have left him with a queasy tummy.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Hopefully the problem was a hairball.

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Last night he threw up again but it wasn't as much and was full of fur. I'm wondering if he has been trying to get this up for the last while now and not having any luck. You wouldn't think he would have that big of a problem being short haired. Vet sure didn't.
I am going to keep on giving him the probiotics though in a little yogurt. It's the only way I can get him to eat right away. I noticed today he wasn't nearly as gassy when I picked him up. That's a good thing!
Hoping tonight for no vomit!
Sweet Pea who is also DSH will vomit for sometimes a couple of weeks before the furball comes out.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

In my house Chico is the hair-ball-vomitter and he too is a DSH.
for Tiny-Timmys -Tummy
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM
150% PRO S/N

Well, last night he vomited again. It was mainly liquid. I am making an appt with a new vet so I can see if I can get more answers.
I changed his litter back to Feline Pine. The other boxes still have Swheat Scoop. He doesn't eat it. He just gets his nose down really close to it to find his spot to pee.
He doesn't spend a lot of time grooming himself or the others to my knowledge unless he does it all at night.
I'm flumuxed. I will figure things out soon I hope.
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe he's developed some sort of allergy in the food.

I hope you can get him in to the vet soon. Poor little guy.

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
-

I hope you can get some answers for poor Timmy soon.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor timmy...i missed this somehow.

Does he vomit after his evening meal? Bunduk sometimes vomits after his morning meal. Basically a big liquid mess. I think he gets too excited and eats too much....

can you try maybe giving him a little food at a time?

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks onster. You have been having your own issues.
TT got sick again last night but I have noticed since he threw up the hairball it hasn't been as much. It is possible that was what the issue was.
I am taking him right off his Taste of the Wild. It is venison and salmon. Possibly it is too heavy/rich for him too. And we all know dry isn't good anyway.
And..... meat grinder will be in the budget soon.
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Hopefully getting him off too rich food will help. Maybe that's what was wrong with the little guy.

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How they worry us, eh, 14+? I hope the food and litter change does the trick. Is he still having the...urm....how to say this delicately? ...the flattulence problem? Is he still acting okay otherwise?

Hope you get to the bottom of the nausea soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
150% PRO S/N

hazel - you slay me! He has been amazingly flatulence free since starting the probiotics. Now I need to get them all taking it!
Litter I don't believe was the problem. I have watched him with both litters. He does the same.... nose to the litter, once he finds the "right" spot he lifts his nose, does his thing, tries to bury it, then scats. They don't like the Feline Pine though. Much prefer the Swheat Scoop.
I am taking the dry away. Will see how he does for the next two days. Then if no difference will make an appt with a new vet. I have been thinking about changing for a while anyway. Sometimes saving money does no good if the vet can't help.
As for acting ok...... oh yeah, no difference. At the door as soon as I get the food and water bottles out for the catty cats. That is his sign that mom is going out. He gets his walk outside every morning before I go feed the others. Rest of the time he sleeps, eats, fight/plays, same ol', same ol'. Not spoiled at all.