Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM

I think I'm switching cat foods

I posted a little while ago about Felidae and dandruff on my cats. Well, I think I've decided to switch them back to Holistic Blend. They did really well on it, and the only reason I switched them to Felidae is because I thought it was a much better food. However, their coats tell me a different story. Their fur is full of flakes, and I've never seen their coats so dull EVER. I now have them on fishy canned food which I'm sure will help a bit, but I'm still bothered by the fact that the Felidae is making their coats look like this in the first place. If it was only one cat I would think that maybe there was an allergy to something, but it is all 4 of them Oh well, I tried.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM

It's weird because some people rave about felidae/canidae, while others have lots of issues with it. Not sure the reason.

If the other brand works for your cats stick with it. Mine are on Chicken Soup Formulas, I've never seen their coats so soft before. I tried the Innova Evo and some others that were supposed to be higher quality and they didn't do so good on it.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Yeah, it's weird. My dogs are on Canidae and are doing really well so I assumed the same would be true for the cats.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

two of my cats did very well on Felidae. 1 was very picky with it. All three are on EVO now and all 3 love it! They go nuts for it. And trying to get all 3 to eat the same food isnt easy.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

my 2 kitties are on innova and boy are they sexy kitties!!! their fur is fabulous and they really enjoy it
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM

My two cats are doing wonderful on Felidae. But what works for one cat may not work for another. Before trying Felidae I tried my cats on Innova Evo, but without great results. While other people have had fantastic results with Evo. I think its about finding a balance, between a good food and what works. Good luck!
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
-

That's so true....what works so well for one often has terrible results for another. And, it sure is a blessing when you have multiple cats/dogs that do well on the same food.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

No kidding! It took me a while to find a food that everyone liked and could tolerate. I have one cat with a very sensitive tummy and another who's really picky so I was happy when Holistic Blend worked for everyone. They really seem to like the Felidae and I've had no issues with tummy upset, but as I said I've never seen their coats look so bad. When I look at the list of ingredients Felidae looks like a better food, but there must be something in it that all 4 are having issues with. I dunno.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Maybe its not something in it, but something thats NOT in it, or at least not enough of for their coats to gleam. If you havent already switched, you could try a suppliment, or maybe feed some fish on the side every now and then. See if that helps

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM

Yep, even the best food on the planet isn't good for some pets (not saying felidae is the best on the planet of course). You just have to figure out what your kitties need. Maybe a fishy based kibble would work... Just to get them back on track faster.

Here are a couple:
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...n_formula.html

http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...10FBrRr3BB00E0

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...gredients.aspx
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

My 3 cats are used to eating different food all the time with no ill effect.
At the moment they are on Solid Gold and Chicken-Soup,but when those bags are finished,I'll probably buy something different.
Of course they get canned twice a day too,the dry food is for in-between.
I've always done that with them,thinking in human terms,I guess I'd be really bored eating the same all the time
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM

Our cats seem to do best on holistic foods with fish as the main source of protein. They are also eating only dry food and their teeth have improved significantly. They are eating Performatrin Ultra Salmon & Rice.
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Yeah, a fishy based kibble is a good idea but I have yet to find one that meets my standards. Wellness has menadione, and my cats don't like it (I tried it a while back). Nature's Variety has montmorillonite clay in it. Not sure if that is good or bad, but I don't think clay is something cats would normally eat, and it is fairly high up on the list of ingredients so that concerns me. Does anyone know the purpose of clay in a cat food? The Orijen looks good, but it doesn't have any taurine in it and cats need taurine. Also, my local store doesn't carry it. I am currently feeding a variety of fishy canned foods, along with some fresh salmon a few times a week. I'm thinking if I continue to do that, and switch them back to Holistic Blend dry then that'll be good. Or maybe I'll mix dry foods, like Holistic Blend and something fishy. That way they'll get some fish in their dry food but won't be getting a full dose of whatever it is in those foods that bothers me.
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Ok, so I did a little research about montmorillonite clay and I have discovered there are 2 kinds. Sodium montmorillonite clay is the stuff that's used in kitty litter and builing materials like plaster etc. Calcium montmorillonite clay is a very good source of minerals and aids in detoxification of the organs and helps with digestion. Apparently native cultures and wild animals eat this stuff on a regular basis. However, since Nature's Variety cat food only says montmorillonite clay, I emailed to ask them which kind they use in their food. I am assuming it is the calcium and not the sodium clay, but these days you never know so I thought I'd ask to be sure. I'll post back when I get a reply.
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Not sure if Wellness removed the menadione from their cat foods. You'd have to write. They did remove it from their dog foods in August. I noticed (and ranted) earlier this summer about how feliney owners aren't complaining enough to get the menadione removed. Companies who are removing it from dog foods still aren't removing it from cat foods. How lame is that?!

Oh, the Orijen does have taurine- more than the Nature's Variety:
http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...tAnalysis.aspx
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I don't know if Wellness has removed menadione or not, but it's still listed on their ingredient list on the website. 2 of my 4 cats don't like Wellness anyways. That's weird about the Orijen because although taurine is listed on their analysis, it's not on their ingredient list. I'll have to email them and ask about it. Still no word from Nature's variety about the clay, but the more I read about it the more I think it's not a bad ingredient. My only concern now is that it's pretty high up on the ingredient list and I want to make sure they're not using it as a filler.
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Orijen probably just has taurine from natural sources instead of added in.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Probably. I'm not sure that the guy at Global will get the Orijen for me though. He's looking into it, but it's not really worth it for him to order small amounts just for me. If he says no I won't be mad because so far he's bent over backwards to make me happy. I think he's also running out of room in his store because every time I suggest something he orders it. I think I may try the Nature's Variety. The Global guy suggested that I might want to mix 2 or 3 foods to get optimal nutrition for the cats so I may just do that. He said cats seem to like variety in their diets (I agree) and don't seem to get the same kinds of digestive upsets as dogs do when mixing foods. Ideally I'd like to just give the cats more variety in their canned food, but 2 of my 4 don't really eat much of the canned, they prefer the dry. Oh, the joys of multiple pet ownership! Even Ted, my feral cat is getting picky about what he eats! I ran out of canned food last night and found one can of Whiskas in the cupboard (from back in my uneducated days). Well, Ted turned his nose up at it. It was still there this morning, uneaten. See what happens when they get spoiled?