Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Cat keeps licking her toes

I have a 12 year old female cat, and she is de-clawed. She has recently started licking her front feet a lot. Her two center toes on each front foot have nearly no hair on them. I am familiar with "feline mowing," but I do not think this is the case. I have checked her feet to make sure there is no litter or other items caught in her pads, and her toes are not swollen/red/bloody. What may be causing this. We did recently put our dog to sleep whom she had grown up around, and her licking seemed to start a little after that time. Could that type of change in environment cause her to lick?
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
~Cat Servent~

There can be long term problems associated with declawing, a trip to the vet to rule out anything physical is always the best place to start. (My mother's cat had growths- the vet described as almost like the claw trying to grow back- 8 years after being declawed and they were bad enough that she started limping.)

Also it can be anxiety from the change in the house, the loss of her companion. You can try rescue remedy or something like feliway or they even have anxiety meds for pets as well if you rule out the physical possibilities. It is also possible for them to develop an allergy to food or something in their environment (my 'mower' is allergic to fleas and corn).

Best of luck in figuring it out!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM

The stress of losing her lifelong companion can cause various behavioural and/or medical issues to arise. Stress does manifest itself in many ways.

Cats that are de-clawed often have arthritis inflammation in the feet that were done. Because of her age this should be considered.

I would suggest you take her in for a Wellness Exam with special attention paid to her feet & full geriatric blood panel & urinalysis to make sure there are no underlying causes.

All cats over the age of 7 should have a full blood panel & urinaylsis done once per year, especially with cats 12 and over. If anything shows up on the tests it can be treated early & @ that point they should be retested every 6 months since cats are so good @ hiding any illnesses.

& keep us updated on how she's doing

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM

So we took Aurora into the vet, and she is healthy. The reason that she is licking her toes the vet said was because the tendons that connect to her toes from her legs have tightened up. This is a side effect from her de-clawing and my have caused arthritis in her toes. So she has some medication to take to help with the arthritis. The vet hypothesized that she was licking her toes because of the sensation that the arthritis was causing in her feet.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Kitty pimp

Poor kitty thanks for the update

hope the medicine helps
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

A good reason not to get a kitty declawed, poor kitty:sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey