Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Stolen Credit card no...

Everyone in Quebec,do you know a store called "opt Beyond the Rack"in St Laurent Quebec??
Someone is using our Mastercard,so far 2 purchases for about $1,500,MC says not to worry we won't have to pay,but still I'd like to know what kind of store it is
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
-

This is what I found : http://www.beyondtherack.com/

sounds like a chain of expensive clothing store.

If I was you , I would cancel that credit card and ask for another one. I'm so sorry this is happening to you , I hate people who steel
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Chico2,,,MC will automatically send you a new card,,and yup you won't be held responsible..my ex is the head fraud investigator for city financial..what MC is doing is,,they've flagged the stolen card so when the person tries to use it again they're trying to get a picture from store security..I'm so sorry this is happening to you guys,,some people just suck..What you do need to do is think back when and where you last used the card, that is where it got skimmed. That or some information came in your mail and somebody snagged it.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Frenchy,we Googled it too and there are plenty of those stores in Ontario too.
I thought St,Laurent was a city in Quebec,but it meant Yves St Laurent clothng.
It's all fixed with Mastercard now,the card is cancelled.
Hubby nearly had a heartattack seeing the $1.600 charge
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Aslan,it's ok,the card has been canceled.
We get our statement on line and as soon as we buy something,it comes on right away,the same day,
I think these people were out of luck,seeing we noticed right away and the store won't ship it
We have an idea where the number was stolen,at a Pioneer Gas-Station on 6th line north.
Alain swiped the card,but it did not work,so he swiped it twice,I am sure that's where it happened.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hubby nearly had a heartattack seeing the $1.600 charge
Maybe he thought you have a secret wuver and sending some trinkets...

On a serious note, this has happened to me and everything turned out in the end. Sorry this happened to you.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Yup some people really suck.

Chico2, I to am sorry this happend, at least MC is on the ball.

On a side note and heads up to everyone, I was on another forum and those "skimmers" seem to be popular again. One guys bank accout was empited twice in 2yrs through his debit card. So it's not just credit cards. His bank said to stay away from pay at the pumps and no-name bank machines. Like the ones in variety stores and gas stations. They seem to be the ones theives are using now.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM

This is why technology is switching from swipe to chip, chip cards are most common in Europe, I needed to switch all my debit/credit cards to chipped cards before I travelled. It's harder to steal the card info when using the chip and pin (for now). Unfortunately in Canada the chip cards are still mostly swiped, as technology is slow to advance here, so thieves are still having their field day. At least CC companies seem to be pretty on the ball for these situations.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
-

Chico, sorry for all the frustration you've had to go through. Hope they can catch the scumbag that did it.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

that is crappy. I know how you are feeling. I had that happen to me as well, but with my debet card. They took out $1000. I got it back, but still. I was so peeved.

ACO22
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

yuch

theft like that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth

Sorry it happened to you
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

We don't use a Debit Card and only use 2 Credit Cards,but we do all our banking on line,hopefully that's safe.
Anyway,everything turned out ok and the thieves will not get their products shipped
They ordered on line on Sunday and we caught it on Monday.
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good job catching it so early, chico!! Stuff like that just drives madame hazel nuts

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
swiped the card,but it did not work,so he swiped it twice,I am sure that's where it happened.
If you haven't already be sure to contact the police & let them know you suspect this is where the number was skimmed, so they can put a stop to it right away & contact others who may have used that location

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Growler,the office of MC,said they are taking care of it,we gave them the time we were there and the address.
Of course it could have happened anywhere..
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM

could MC get the address of where the clothes would have been shipped to nab the thieves??
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, that blows. Luckily you caught it.

The same thing happened to me a few months ago, and again this month!

The first time it was my debit card. Someone tried to buy over $2,000 online at some clothing store. LOL, lucky for me at the time I had all of $25.00 in my account so the charge never even went through, but the usage was flagged and the card automatically canceled. Then it happened again about 3 weeks ago on my company card. 3 charges, 2 at a supermarket and 1 at some pub.

I can only imagine it happened from some online site, which lead me to think it might be a good idea to get a pre-paid card and use that exclusively for purchases and just keep filling it now and then for a couple of hundred dollars. That way my debit card would be safe.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Hello chico2,

This is Natalie—I’m Director of Customer Service at Beyond the Rack. This thread was brought to my attention, and I was very happy to read that MasterCard was able to help you out so quickly

Credit card fraud is a crime that affects customers and businesses alike, and is something we should work together to help put an end to. I wonder if you would be so kind as to contact me at [please pm the op] I’d like to speak with you about what happened. I’m an avid online shopper myself, and would have been horrified to find that my card had been hijacked like yours was.

Last edited by GateKeeper; April 14th, 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: no self-promo
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

A-G,the man at MC,said there are a million ways thieves can get your numbers and any credit-card company loses a tonne of money this way.
Our limit is $20,000 on MC,so it was a good thing we get our statement right away on the comp.
This store is a chain-store all over Canada,so I think it might be difficult to catch which store,but I am pretty sure it is here in Ontario.
That's $1.600 worth of clothing..
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Chico,

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but the only Beyond the Rack I know of is an online store only. It sells designer merchandise at discount prices. You have to be a member to be able to purchase there and it is all done via mail. If it is the same company, whoever got ahold of your credit card number is having that merchandise shipped somewhere.

Brenda
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's interesting, Brenda... MC should be able to get the shipping address, then. I wonder if they know that?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Brenda and Hazel,yes,MC knows that,but thank you.
The only place you can shop without showing the actual card is on line,my card was canceled on Tuesday,the purchases were done on Sunday and Monday.total $1.600
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope they hunt 'em down and lock 'em up