Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Pit Bull Bans - here we go again

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-his-new-home/

Obviously all tragedies of any kind are sad......but I'm so fed up with all the spin.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:24 PM

This is heartbreaking

I have to admit I'm uncomfortable around a few dog breeds, pit bulls being one of them therefore I choose not to own one. I know it's not the dogs but irresponsible owners that perpetuate this fear.

It would be so simple if ALL dog owners complied with leash laws and monitored ALL dogs around children.

Just my two cents........
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

My daughter and her husband adopted a pitbull mix and she was the sweetest dog and really good with my granddaughter and my standard poodle got a long fine with his cousin. The 2 dogs would eat one another food and not growl at one another . Any dog is capable of attacking a person.
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Pitbulls are same as other dogs, they are loyal and loving to their owners.

Yep I agree with fellow members here that its up to the owners to keep their dog in line.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 11:02 AM

Ontario is interesting, pit bulls are pretty much gone but it rather seems that dog bites are on the rise. How can that possibly be?

I have a soft spot for pitties, love them, and haven't met a mean one yet.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
How can that possibly be?
This gets me so damn mad because it's SO fricken obvious....

Losers will adopt the next unbanned powerful breed once pitbulls are banned. This is why breed bans can never ever ever work. Neuter stupid people. ban stupid people.

but banning losers....( or god forbid making THEM accountable...that's too much red tape and may infringe on their god given right to be a complete irresponsible moron......so let's ban all dogs of a certain breed instead.....that's easier - dogs can't speak)

Seriously...people and policy are getting stupider in the name of a quick fix....to appease the uninformed. who have zero time/desire to learn anything new... Argggggggggggggggghhhhhh!

I love all animals. Humans, meh.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

^^^

We need a 'Like' button !
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree, Barkingdog! Where is that like button when you need it!

Well-said, marko!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:30 AM

I hear you... We live in the age of smart phones and stupid people.

Media has too much to do with this - they get wind of a dog bite and it's almost always automatically a pit bull. People freak, then a couple of days later we find out it was a completely different breed - but nobody reads it. Lots of pits and pit crosses running the off leash parks here, problem free to my knowledge.

The biggest issue I see at the off leash areas is dog owners. Dog has been cooped up all day, brimming with excitement when they pull in. Dog explodes into the park, hard play and any dog is fair game. It's playful, but... People need to learn that the dog park isn't a place to let your dog burn it off, exercise before you bring them. Many of the pit bull owners I speak with exercise their dog before bring it to the park - that's responsibility.

Edmonton council took the bone out of their collective heads and lifted restrictions. Now owners are more accountable under the restricted dog policy.

http://www.edmonton.ca/residential_n...cted-dogs.aspx
Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a pretty intelligently written by-law, rhynes! There's even a mechanism for handling incidents that were the result of baiting or provocation by the 'victim':
Quote:
*This section does not apply if the chase, attack, bite or damage is a direct result of the Restricted Dog being provoked.
I've always admired Edmonton for its pet-friendliness. Must have some good people on the governing council there!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
they get wind of a dog bite and it's almost always automatically a pit bull.

and THAT's part of the damn problem. the friggen curation of Internet and TV content - IT'S BIASED. IT'S A PRODUCT OF MARKETING.

Ever wonder why you NEVER see a picture or a story of a small dog that bit a baby. That made the baby bleed? That maimed the baby?

I'll tell you why. Ratings. A large dog causes more damage than a small dog.

More damage = more clicks or more minutes watching....and that = more merchandise sold. Simple as that.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 26th, 2016, 03:53 AM

This make me upset.
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:16 AM

I've taken 2 good hits from mr minpin, earned both of them as I was bugging him - otherwise he's laid back and easy going. He's never laid teeth into anyone else but I'm warning people at off leash parks not to grab at him or try to pick him up - that's just being a pin.

And you're right Marko, most of the dogs that are willing and likely to bite are small.

But to add some (un)fairness, many people that get a pit bull tend to want to do it the "right" way, but it's all wrong. I have friends that own a time bomb - but don't want to listen. The dog has been raised in the owners' canned environment, given playdates with specific dogs and never truly socialized with anything other than a clicker. Yeah, the dog is great and obedient but It's only a matter of time before the dog gets out of the canned environment and realizes there's a strange world outside the owner. Then what happens.

Isn't Montreal heading for a pitbull ban?
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:20 PM

Here's a case in point closer to home for you Marko.

Quote:
Published Sunday, July 31, 2016 4:52PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, August 1, 2016 11:26AM EDT

The dog that mauled a Montreal woman to death in June was registered as a boxer – not a pit pull – according to documents obtained by Humane Society International Canada under an Access to Information request.

Critics of blanket bans on certain breeds say the revelation raises major questions about the effectiveness of legislation meant to curb ownership of dangerous dogs.

Police found 55-year-old Christiane Vadnais lying dead on the ground when they arrived at the scene of her June 8 attack. She had been killed by her neighbour’s dog, Lucifer. Both police and the dog’s owner initially classified Lucifer as a “pit bull-type” dog after the incident.

Vadnais’ death renewed debate in the province about whether pit bulls are so dangerous that they ought to be banned altogether.

Alanna Devine, SPCA Montreal’s director of animal advocacy, says people are asking the wrong questions when it comes to identifying dangerous dogs, noting that neglect and abusive training methods are much more likely to cause a dog to bite or attack than its breed.
Rest of the story here:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/breed-o...-ban-1.3009859
Old August 11th, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
This is heartbreaking

I have to admit I'm uncomfortable around a few dog breeds, pit bulls being one of them therefore I choose not to own one. I know it's not the dogs but irresponsible owners that perpetuate this fear.

It would be so simple if ALL dog owners complied with leash laws and monitored ALL dogs around children.

Just my two cents........
Agree
Old August 12th, 2016, 04:57 AM

I heard that Rhynes... of course that does not undo the recent re-damaging of pit bull reputations.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter