Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

*sigh* Yes, it's possible to have both. Did a fecal sample turn something up? Will she have to stay at the vet or can you give her the meds at home?

You're such an for working so hard to get her healthy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

can you not talk to the rescue and see if they can help you over this financial hump??
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedust View Post
Back to the vet for more treatment...
Possible coccidia, possible giardia (sp.?), possibly both, if that's possible?
Poor Puppy...& damn the so-called 'rescue' lady we picked her up from...
The bright side is that she has a chance at a nice life - if she is not too damaged to recover...
All things considered - I cannot recall a tougher little canine / feline soul that I ever have come across in my life - she is a true warrior, and a very loved one @ that.
I'm sorry she had to go back again. Though I haven't commented, I have followed along. What a wonderful person you are for taking such good care of this sweet little girl. I hope that whatever her issues are now, they can be easily resolved. She is just gorgeous! And as suggested above, I would be contacting the rescue to see if they can aid you a bit financially.

I understand what you're going through... I have one just ike yours (healthwise). If there is anything he can possibly have, he gets it

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedust View Post
Back to the vet for more treatment...
Possible coccidia, possible giardia (sp.?), possibly both, if that's possible?
Poor Puppy...& damn the so-called 'rescue' lady we picked her up from...
The bright side is that she has a chance at a nice life - if she is not too damaged to recover...
All things considered - I cannot recall a tougher little canine / feline soul that I ever have come across in my life - she is a true warrior, and a very loved one @ that.
Very possible and likely for both these parasites. Many animals from high traffic dog areas get this. Even in dog parks by the way.
This is very difficult to detect and 'normal' deworming does not kill these off. Not easy to treat, but good to say...treatable.

Best of luck.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Clementine...

The 'rescue' lady, will not return my phone calls.
I now suspect that she is not a 'rescue' at all, but a dealer.
I know that is harsh, but if she cared, she would certainly be more helpful and forthright.
Out of concern for other puppies & families - not scorn, I have issued a warning about her so-called 'rescue' operation.
Back to the most important aspect of this particular thread - Clementine.
Regardless of what she / we are going through, I believe that she came into our lives for a reason. She is a tough little girl, and if she can pull through & leave this horrible experience behind, she will be extremely loved & respected for life.
Thank you again for all of your kind thoughts & wishes - they have helped make a tough time, better.
Will keep you posted on the little girl...
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Clementine...

Clementine is back @ the vet today...
The vet cannot get a large enough stool sample to confirm, but his guess is coccidia. He was able to confirm some other bacteria that begins with a 'C', I didn't understand, we were on the phone.
She is drinking on her own, but not eating. He now believes that she has developed ulcers which would explain the vomitting...
This would also explain the lack of appetite.
I pick her up again tonight, and he instructed me to give her immodium to calm her stomach down, and to force feed electrolytes w/ a meat & rice puree.
The coccidia medicine that he administred this morning should begin to work tomorrow.
My Wife & I have agreed that if we don't see any marked progress in the next 2 days, that we will have to put her to sleep - we will not let her suffer anymore.
This has been one of the most horrible experiences of my life - still hoping for a happy ending, but am beginning to resign myself to the fact that there is a good chance she won't pull through...Poor little girl, so not fair...
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Mickey, my angel

I'm so sorry your girl is still having serious issues.

It is obvious you are doing everything you can for Clementine. Whatever the outcome you have our support.

Sending more that things will start to turn around for Clementine.

Thinking of you. Please continue to let us know how things are going.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, no! You and Clementine deserve to catch a break! I hope she's starting to show some improvement on the coccidia meds already!

She's young and she's a fighter, so she's got that going for her. You're doing all you can and more She's obviously very well-loved!

Pls keep us informed on her progress. You're in my thoughts and prayers!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Just curious how benny is now doing. And that poor little clementine....??? Sending up lots of prayers!!!
Old September 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM

I too am a witness to this virus. Brought home a rescue Sunday night, and something didn't seem right. Monday symptoms began to show up and I thought it was a combination of stress...re-homed and new diet. Over night diarreha began with minimal vomiting. Went to Vet's Tuesday to make appt. for first shots and ask for an opinion on my 8 week old pups condition. The pup Luna, continued to get worse over night. When she had a b.m. that smelled like death, I knew it was much more than stress related. The vet on Weds. admitted her immediately and has been there since. Still not eating, though water intake has begun again with no vomiting. Unlit today the vets were not willing to lean one way or the other on her outcome. Today I was informed that unless she takes a turn for the worse tonight and tomorrow I should have her home on Monday. From what I have read about parvo the 5 day timeline for Luna seems consistant.
For the other ones here who have pups fighting this, I have an understanding both emotionally, finanically and what I can only describe as helplessly. I feel helpless and second guess myself often. Then, as someone on here has in their signoff, something about looking in the eyes of a puppy and seeing a soul, and I remember. I'm merely a witness to this. Luna is the one struggling through this. Ya, the vet's bill will be .......extreme, possible $2000.00 and I ask myself "for a dog" ? Yes, for a dog that has a sparkle in it's eye. Here's to the upcoming diet of Kraft dinner and hopeful years of looking at the sparkle in our dogs eye's.
(p.s. a well deserved thank you to the vet's who are there for these dog's)
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Our Darling Clementine

1st off, very sorry to hear about your pup, Luna, 'Oh'...
Luna is our feline Queen's name! Sending healing vibes to her & hope she pulls through...
Little Clementine is pulling through & finally turning the corner towards becoming healthy! She is one tough little pup - that is for sure!
She has now been home for 4 days & getting stronger everyday. She is eating anything she can get her little paws on & beginning to have regular, normal BM's. She is still weak, probably operating @ about 50%, but we're seeing improvement & growth everyday - she is starting to show her personality, and I think she will be a handful when she completely recovers! She is now sleeping peacefully @ my retail store, her secondary infection medicine makes her drowsy, but tomorrow is the last day of pills - she will be happy w/ that, she does not like them at all & has been very clever about hiding them in her gums & spitting them out when I'm not looking!
Anyway, thank you so much to everyone once again for all of the well wishes & prayers - they most definitely made a difference!
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I was so afraid to look, but am very glad I did! I'm SO happy to see she is pulling through and getting stronger
YAY!! for good poops

I love both of mine dearly, and though Thorin is my souldog, and I'll never love another like I do him, there's just something so endearing about Nookie. I don't know if it's because I've had to "mother" him so much, or just being completely amazed at his will to live and love us. I just can't pinpoint it. They're all just so precious

Bless you and your family for taking such good care of her and for helping her pull through this

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't posted in here yet either, but just read through about half of the thread. So glad to hear Clementine is doing better You truly are her earth angels for adopting her and seeing her through all of this. If there is an animal protection group in your area I would make certain that they know this has happened. If nothing else the rescue should be returning your calls and be made aware that they have a deadly disease on site. Your perseverence has saved Clementine and she will reward you ten fold over the course of her life.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hurray for Clementine!!! So happy to hear that she's turned the corner and is on the mend!

Old September 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mickey, my angel

livedust, I've been watching this thread and hoping for some good news.

I am so happy to hear the news about Clementine. She is one very feisty little girl and also one very lucky little girl to have you. Sending that she gets back to her energetic self very soon.

ohyasayswho, so sorry to hear your girl is going through this too. Sending for Luna. Please let us know how she is doing.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Livedust,I was afraid to open your post,but wow,what wonderful news
Little Clementine is one very lucky little pup,I am certain were it not for you and your determination and love,she would not have made it.
She really wants to live and pay-pack all the love you have shown her. for continued improvement and strenght
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yay, I'm so happy for you, livedust

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM

Livedust, I'm glad that Clementine has turned the corner and recovering. That's great!
I don't want to hijack this thread, if I am then I'm sorry I am thinking this is about parvo, and trying to cope,so....
I brought Luna home on Monday as the i.v. was out and had begun eating (some) and drinking with no vomiting. I have been feeding her small amounts every few hours. Tuesday, to my surprise I awoke to her bark. I entered the room where her crate is to see a bright eyed pup with a wagging tail.Best start of a day I've had in quite a while. Progress has been steady. She is beginning to play some and act like a pup. I have tried to keep her calm, and resting as much as possible.

Maybe I should start a thread about recovering from Parvo as I have questions re:timeline for public places long term effects, best way to bulk her up etc.
Thank you to all for the kind thoughts and prayers.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's great news, ohyasayswho! Hurray for Luna!

I think a new thread on recovery would be a great idea! Probably get a lot of suggestions and tips if you do!

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

hurray for clemetine and luna! any update on benny?
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Clementine!

Just a quick update...
Clementine is getting stronger everday & is definitely making up for lost time!!!
She is a happy girl - playin' hard, loves people & watching the kids walk by to go to school! She is on a high fat diet & is starting to visibly gain weight & get her little muscles back!
She has learned the stairs & is doing her best to torment our feline Queen - Luna!
Thanks again for everything folks - best of luck & well wishes to Luna, Benny & all other pets who are sick.
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad to see she is on her way to recovery!
Please give her a gentle little hug from me and my boys. Thank you for taking such wonderful care of her

Old September 27th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I'm so glad to hear that livedust . Now if only we had some pics

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Parvo puppy

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Lab Italian Greyhound mix and she just recovered from parvo 4 days at the vet on iv fluids and antibiotics. She had only been sick for 2 days when I took her to the vet and she only did a parvo test as an afterthought she was trying to rule out everything else since Emily didn't have all the symptoms of parvo mostly listlessness and vomiting and no appetite. So there is hope for your puppy