Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM

Why does my dog act like this around the baby?

So Simba has picked up a few new quirky habits, I'm just curious if those more experienced in dog behaviour can tell me why.

1- When the baby cries (a LOT, he had colic), Simba will pick up a stuffed toy and shake it like crazy, tossing it onto the baby. After that, he will run around in circles.

2- When we put the baby to sleep for the night (it's dark, quiet, and we're careful to try and not make a sound!), Simba will grab a large chew bone and toss it onto the (hardwood) floor right below the baby's bassinet, waking him up! He *never* does this at any other time except at the 9pm bedtime routine.

It's cute & funny, I'm just curious.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:51 AM

Could it be that he gets jealouse and does it for attention?
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Perhaps he wants to play with the baby???

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's what it sounds like to me, too, L4H. In fact, it sounds like Simba's trying to cheer baby up with a quick game of toss the stuffy in that first example...

How's Baby doing, shibamom? Has he outgrown the colic now?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Doggie Wench

Hmmm...we have to see lots of pics and videos of the behavior in order to tell you why .
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds to me like Simba is trying to be included in the babies routine. I would try to get hubby to spend some one on one time with Simba just before you put the baby to bed and kind of tire him out. Then make sure the bone is not available to him to pick up and throw. The crying issue hopefully has settled down, but Simba was probably just very concerned with the fuss and trying to help. I agree though that some pics would help us diagnose!
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Hmmm...we have to see lots of pics and videos of the behavior in order to tell you why .
Absolutely

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Thank you everyone

I think including Simba in a night routine is a good idea, perhaps he is feeling left out (or at least still annoyed that his routine has been disrupted).

Since we need quiet to put the baby to bed, I have started to stay with the baby as he falls asleep and my husband takes him into the bedroom and plays ducky/dog bone with him (chase game he loves).

I would love to share some more pictures, but it's not easy to get them both together in one shot This is the best I can do for now
Attached Images

Old August 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamom View Post
I would love to share some more pictures, but it's not easy to get them both together in one shot
That's ok shibamom , we'll accept (lots) more photos of them individually .
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
That's ok shibamom , we'll accept (lots) more photos of them individually .
Finally! Although it isn't the night play picture.

Here's baby and Simba in our (communal~ bed,crib,crate!) bedroom.

He sits by the baby and waits while he naps
Attached Images

Old August 5th, 2010, 07:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamom View Post

He sits by the baby and waits while he naps
sooo cute ! and I noticed in the other picture , even if he's outside , his nose is inside ... it's look like he wants to be there to protect the baby
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
sooo cute ! and I noticed in the other picture , even if he's outside , his nose is inside ... it's look like he wants to be there to protect the baby
Thanks!

He is like a satellite to the baby, always around! It breaks his heart whenever I go to the bathroom or shower and I need to separate them into different rooms
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Now how sweet is that that Simba is so attached to the baby. He's obviously a pretty well adjusted dog. But you are so right to separate them when you can't be around to supervise. You just never know what can happen even with the most well adjusted pets.
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I know I won't be popular if I don't say how cute is that behaviour, but that behaviour is only seen here when my cattle dog is stressing out, wanting to get at my sheep but separated by a fence. He will pick up a Kong, chew the heck out of it and shake his head, spin in circles etc.. So, it may be worry over the crying that is making your dog do that. Harmless? I really hope so.
You need to see that the only toys he can pick up and shake are totally harmless ones too. My sister's GSD was shaking a tug rop which hit her sheltie pup in the side of the head and literally killed it. They had to revive it on the way to the vet. The result is that the sheltie had a fractured skull and is partly blind. Worries me that the baby is at the same level as the dog and of course I totally agree with Dog Dancer that it should never be left alone with the baby. With something that precious one should never have a "it won't happen to us" attitude, I am sure that woman whose poor baby got killed by the huskies thought she could trust them.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:29 AM

^ I see what you are saying Goldfields, I appreciate your concern. The only way to separate them is to lock one of them in a bedroom because we live in a one bedroom condo, or separate their level by forcing one of them to stay up high like on a couch or table or something. We're always there watching
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Goldfields, could it be your dogs are showing excitement in anticipation for getting out and doing their job? Perhaps not an aggressive excitement.

I see your pup gathering the toys like he does as my cats do when they are wanting to play and attention from me. They get their stuffies, act like it is their "prey" and bring it to me and lay it at my feet. I know they are cats, but it could be a similar mental state .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, it's an aggressive excitement alright with my boy, Love4himies. He can't get out to heel the sheep so he takes it out on the Kong. It just bothered me that this sort of thing was new where Simba is concerned and linked to the baby being really distressed with the colic. I think dogs know babies are babies, but if you follow me, a dog can also be upset by what it sees as unusual behaviour . For instance a woman I knew let one of her cattle dogs have its litter in a building that was far too cold, and she wasn't there supervising. I think because the pups got chilled and didn't react as normal pups should, the mother attacked them, literally tore the whole litter to pieces. Where our reaction is to comfort a crying baby and smother it with TLC, a dog is a dog, that crying could be stressful for it.
Re the tug rope incident, I just thought I would mention it because shibamom might be like me, I'd not even dream that such a nasty accident could happen due to the toy shaking/head swinging behaviour .
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Oh, it's an aggressive excitement alright with my boy, Love4himies. He can't get out to heel the sheep so he takes it out on the Kong.

Excuse my ignorance, but is heeling the sheep an aggression act, I thought it was like a job or play to heelers .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

A lot of cattle dogs bite too hard if they aren't trained properly on sheep, yet they need to bite hard if they handle rough cattle. They are usually keen to work but no, I wouldn't call it play really. Shibamom should know watching her dog whether he's relaxed and playing, or a bit hyper and intense. If you watched my dog, and imagine it was your arm, or the sheep's leg he was shaking, you'd know it would be a real mess when he finally let go.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM

I don't have much experience with dogs and babies, but I read these two posts on a lbog I like and thought of your thread. The lady who writes this blog is really good at explaining why her dogs act in certain ways. I hope these posts help:
http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/...eat-with-kids/

http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/...gs-and-babies/
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Excellent links, ownedbycats, I especially like the one about babies. I think the same but she says it better. LOL.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I know I won't be popular if I don't say how cute is that behaviour, but that behaviour is only seen here when my cattle dog is stressing out, wanting to get at my sheep but separated by a fence. He will pick up a Kong, chew the heck out of it and shake his head, spin in circles etc.. So, it may be worry over the crying that is making your dog do that. Harmless? I really hope so.
You need to see that the only toys he can pick up and shake are totally harmless ones too. My sister's GSD was shaking a tug rop which hit her sheltie pup in the side of the head and literally killed it. They had to revive it on the way to the vet. The result is that the sheltie had a fractured skull and is partly blind. Worries me that the baby is at the same level as the dog and of course I totally agree with Dog Dancer that it should never be left alone with the baby. With something that precious one should never have a "it won't happen to us" attitude, I am sure that woman whose poor baby got killed by the huskies thought she could trust them.
I am very glad that you pointed this out Goldfields as the shaking the toy worries me alittle. Also, the baby should not be at the same level on the ground as the dog.

It is possible that this is harmless, but better safe than sorry. Dogs react to certain sounds and as your dog is using a toy he is redirecting (on his own which is fascinating) his attention.

I am sure that you know your dog well and that everything is fine, but I would be really watching the behaviour as all this is new to your dog.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM

Thank you for the advice everyone (good links ^_ btw)

I wrote this over a week ago and since then, Simba's behaviour has changed. He no longer does the bone toss (he has always shook his toys though, ever since he was a young pup - Shiba Inu has strong prey drive).

The baby is now in a crib in his own bedroom and Simba is back in his crate. It must have been a phase. Our baby had severe colic until last week, and since the colic and crying went away, Simba has changed. He just ignores the baby and shows no interest at bedtime.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Shiba Inus were bred to hunt, weren't they, so they should have that strong prey drive. You're a good mum and are not being a bad dog mum by separating Simba from your baby, in a way it's protecting both of them. By the way, I'm pleased to hear your bub is not getting colic now.