Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Bad couple of months and now Oscar is sick again!

So my little Gus passed away so suddenly about a month ago which was just so hard...

Then, a couple of weeks ago, Mom's cat, Jessie was put to sleep. He had been diagnosed with diabetes and was on insulin but he wasn't doing well. We took him in and had some bloodwork done. He was so lethargic, he didn't even fight. Turned out his sugar was great but his protein was really, really low and the vet thought that might be causing the fluid in his lungs. She said the prognosis was very poor so we made the decision to let him go. He seemed to be in so much discomfort... He couldn't even walk.

In the past two weeks, my cousin died of pancreatic cancer and yesterday, my godmother died of lung cancer. There's just no emoticon for my sorrow here.

Now, starting about a week ago, Oscar is throwing up nothing all over the place. He starts hacking and gets up what amounts to a quarter-sized puddle of bubbles. I also suspected he was losing weight. I took him to the vet Friday and she verified that his weight was down by about a pound. She gave me a medication for him - I can't remember the name of it just now but he gets 0.1 mg (a drop, basically) and, according to the vet, it should help things kind of move through him.

Well, it works sort of. IF I give it to him every eight hours without fail, he doesn't throw up, but if I miss a dose, he does. He seems to be eating all right but I don't think he's gained the weight back.

The vet did do a standard blood panel but she did not do X-rays or anything else. She thought that, based on her examination, we'd see how he did with the medication.

So now, I'm not sure what to do. Should the medication have dealt with the problem in a week? Do I need to go to more extreme measures diagnostically? What do you think?

I feel bad for disappearing for six weeks and then just popping up because I have a question. I just haven't been dealing with much very well.
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:08 PM
~Cat Servent~

So sorry for all you've gone through lately.

As for Oscar, maybe give the medication a little longer, some take longer to see results than others, if you know the name I'm sure someone here could give you more detailed expectations. I'm sure you'll know when to go back to the vet and ask for more tests. for you and for Oscar

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I finally found it. The medication she prescribed for him is Cisapride.
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No info for you, rjesak, but I wanted to send along a What a trying time you've been having!

I hope Oscar is better soon!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Catlover2

So sorry to hear all that you've been dealing with lately. That's too much in such a short time. I certainly hope the meds work for Oscar. Sending you some prayers.