Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM

Spa Blue - Wilderness (mini review)

Well I had high hopes for this food. Seemed like a really good product ( its advertised as high protien/low carbs on the packaging ) with top quality ingredients, but my cat developed diarhea and started to eat less and less of it.

So for now he is switched over to Nutrience Supreme for his dry, and he loves this stuff! But again on the surface it seems like a lower quality food, although they are both priced around the same.

I guess for now I'm going to stick with the better known and bigger companies.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Never heard of the food, but he shouldn't be on a dry only diet, canned is much better for him.

Cindy
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM

He's not on dry only, he on about 50/50 dry/wet right now.
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I am assuming you mean this food:

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cat...ness-cat.shtml

It comes in wet and dry, and although it isn't grain-free (which is generally best) it is still very low in grains and is a high protein food with good holistic ingredients. The first seven ingredients are: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Whitefish Meal, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat

In comparison, Nutrience Supreme's first six ingredients are: Chicken meal, ground corn, brewers rice, hydrolysed chicken, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp

http://www.nutrience.com/english/cat...preme_3kg.html

No pet should be eating corn or brewer's rice - they are very low quality ingredients with virtually no nutritional value. I don't know what "hydrolysed chicken" even is....but it sounds like something I would never want to eat!

IMO the Wilderness food is a huge step up from Nutrience. Diarrhea probably developed because it can take a lot of time to get used to the higher protein. A really gradual switch is probably needed. And your cat probably is eating less because it isn't coated with fake flavours. It's like swapping out his Big Mac for a salad. I'd try to be patient and give the Wilderness more of a chance, or else try some other high-quality foods like Wellness Core or Orijen. The Nutrience is definately a step backwards
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM
chronically insane.

Wilderness is the grain free kind chase_mom. It now comes in a 3oz canned kind, a chicken one and a turkey one.

I am a rather big fan of Blue Buffalo, BUT PetSmart severely over prices it in my opinion. If they lowered the price, my cats would absolutely be on it alot more. They charge something like 32$ for a 12lb (?) bag of Wilderness when I can get a similar product, Wellness Core for 12lb bag/20$. Innova Evo 15lb bag is only 36$ as well. Their Spa Select cans are $1.09 a can, and their new 3oz cans of Wilderness are a whopping $1.29 a can! I get 13.2oz can of Evo Turkey+Chicken for roughly $1.69 a can. So the Wilderness cans are a huge rip off, so I only buy them as treats for my kitties.

...As you can see, I shop around alot plus I work in a pet food store, so I've learned to keep track of prices.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Wilderness is the grain free kind chase_mom. It now comes in a 3oz canned kind, a chicken one and a turkey one.
Oatmeal is the ninth ingredient, so it's not grain-free....they market it as "High-Protein/Low-Carb" since they can't actually make the grain-free claim.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl