Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

to children of our future..so very sad!!

Please see the link below:

Life Story: The Pit Bull
http://www.sidewalksundayschool.org/...ml/pitbull.htm

My letter:
Dear: Sirs / Madames;

I came across your site during a search on the internet; I was absolutely appauled to see the Sidewalk Sunday School "story" of the young boy that received a Pit Bull puppy for his birthday. This fictional story was absolutely disgusting and in no way depicted these animals as they should be. I was deeply saddened to see that this story was shown to large group of very young children to instill fear and hatred towards these animals.
It is your responsibility to teach these children about love, compassion, and morals; instead to take it upon yourself to teach these impressionable children to discriminate, hate, and fear. Very sad.
It might be in your best interest to revisit these Sunday School messages that you are teaching children and remove this "story" from your website. A story that you could share at your next class would be how to love and respect animals - including Pit Bulls, and maybe teach children about awareness around unknown dogs, specifically how to ask for permission before petting a strange dog, how to react around an excited dog or even about treating an animal with the respect that they deserve by not pulling ears and tails... just a couple of suggestions.

Please, I pray that you will take this letter into consideration and learn to teach these young children to love rather then hate.

Sincerely
Samantha
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:29 PM

i saw this another board i visit and it is so sad to see what people are teaching kids. hopefully the parents were or are able to teach them different. my children have a love for all animals (4 1/2, 2 1/2 & 7 mths.) but they have been taught to respect animals and their feelings to. it is always sad to someone instill hate into any living thing.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

The link was from the pit bull pets board... but I thought it was good to share with everyone.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:33 PM

That really upset me. Sammie, what you wrote to them was anything better than I could've thought to write up. I thank you for doing that. As many ppl do. Near the end of that video, I had gotten the idea of something.. Well, I have had this idea for awhile.. just nothing really to go with it.. but here it is..

I want to open a dog rescue, for society's 'bad dog' (namely the pitbull or am staff). I've wanted to do so for awhile now. And it makes sense, because today, I'm labled society's 'bad girl' as I wear darker clothing/make up and work in a piercing/tattoo studio, and listen to a heavier choice of music. They look at me from the outside.. one of my fave qoutes puts word on word as to what I'm trying to say about myself.. "Even in broad daylight a stained-glass window looks dark, lifeless, and foreboding-from the outside. But should you venture inside and look at it another way, you will find yourself amazed by the light, the vibrance, and a sense of peace and joy. Gothic culture is very much like a stained glass window."

Adding to my idea/dream; I would also like to note that he said something about the only way for them to change is to get a new heart.. I want to name this place, New Heart. Then, when I've done so, I'd like to email him, or get in contact in some way, and tell him of my sucess, thanks to the breed that he had so soulessly put down in a closed-minded matter.

I know this dream will take, what will seem like, forever to become reality, but I will work towards it. And after a few years of being that vet I have so dreamed of being, I will make this place a reality. And I will NOT put down ppl because of their financial matters, their disability, or disadvantages. You know, I get this overwhelming sense of joy when I see SAR dogs, therapy dogs, or any of those sorts that help ppl just because they love doing it.
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Smile

Thanks for the comments AM; I try really hard to be an ambassador for this breed. I pride myself on my attempts to make others aware. I face crap everyday, but you know what? I wouldn't trade it for absolutely anything!! People tell me that I'm stupid to get this dog, that I don't know what I'm getting into - my mom is an insurance broker, so you can just imagine her dismay the first time that Briggs went to visit.. LOL. I'll never get house insurance, I'm limited to where I can live, I'm limited to where I can go, I get nasty comments, looks, etc. But it's worth it, and I'm sure others would agree. And it's more than enough to make me want to retaliate with some witty comment, but then I don't want to be some "typical pit bull owner".

It's just plain ignorance that makes these people react the way they do. If I could just carry around a big book of photos and positive pittie stories and hand it out to every passer by that said some stupid uneducated comment. I would, in a heart beat.

As for your stereotype "gothic" reactions, it's just another thing that you have to take with a grain of salt, you know who you are and you know what you do for your pets. No one else matters except you and those pooches of yours.

house insurance: so you know, I rent right now and do have insurance, but my mom thinks that when I buy I will not be able to obtain insurance because of the dog - that's Ontario...

Last edited by sammiec; June 24th, 2004 at 08:59 AM. Reason: comment about house insurance
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:34 PM

I know exactly where your coming from - about doing everything in your power, and still getting those nasty looks, etc. and not wanting to trade it in for anything. I love my dogs, more than life it's self. If they were gone, I know, emotionally and mentally, I would be too. When I needed someone to cry to, or understand me without haveing acusations (sp) my pets were right there for me, and I'd be right there for them anytime!

As for the pitbull awareness u mentioned ("If I could just carry around a big book of photos and positive pittie stories and hand it out to every passer by that said some stupid uneducated comment. I would, in a heart beat.") I think that's a great idea! But the paper and printing is pricey But maybe you could do it verbally! These words could cost nothing more than a little breath and love. But where would something like that be able to be done? Maybe a beach, or park? Putting up a flyer or two at a dog park, and mention bringing ppl might be able to help! Once you get acouple ppl's attention, u've got the whole lot of them!

The way I dress, my selection of music, and taste in makeup is who I am. I enjoy listening to that music, dressing the way I do, and wearing this makeup. It makes me feel good about myself. The comments and awkward looks I'm given is my reality, my sacrifice. But, there's many things in life that you get those from. Other's just look at things a different way. It doesn't bug me, I'm aware that because of my choice in lifestyle that I'll get these looks and comments. Sometime's, these aren't even bad ones. More often then not. It really depends on where I am at the time (what city, area of the city, etc) same with many types of dogs. But there's a difference. I can choose to look like this, they can't. They can't choose to have their reputation, like I can't for the 'gothic' lifestyle. Reputations are given by media. I am the opposite from a stereotyped 'goth.' I don't do drugs, I don't worship the devil, I sure as hell don't make human and/or animal sacrifices. What really got to me about this stereotyping stuff, was my grandfather (whom I'm not all that close with) asked my dad if I wanted some goat pee or cow blood for my birthday, because, didn't u know, I'm a freak vampire! (sarcasm) Pitbulls are the same way, the opposite of media's reputation. They're not all agressive, and if they are it's because they're raised that way. I've seen more and more breeders out there who have their sires or dams behavour tested and whatnot before they even breed them. The more ppl accept these, the less agressive they are. the more love you give, the more you get back.
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Update!!!

So, I recieved about 4 emails back stating that the email addresses had been hijacked by pit bull lovers and others that needed to get a life!!! Therefore they were not responing to the emails, I guess they were not received either... shame.. BUT I went to the next step and FAXED them the letter and included the following:

Since I emailed this letter to your addresses provided I have received a rather rude reply stating that the address had been hijacked by Pit Bull lovers and is no longer receiving emails. I am shocked by this attitude that a church would have towards our comments of concern. I again suggest that the story is removed from the web site to prevent any further unwanted correspondence. I will continue to check the site for the removal of this hideous “story”. Shame on you.

Doubt that will get a response, but the fax did go through... LOL
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:30 PM

That's amazing! Thanx my babies thank you too

I hope they take that ridiculous video down from their website. My mom was afraid of pits for awhile, because of all the attacks that suddenly happened. I was more focused on the lives they made happy at the time. Ignoring the attacks really, because I knew any dog could attack. But me and my brought home a pitbull puppy one day, and we told her the breed, and it seemed like she ignored us, cuz she was too busy cuddling with him on the couch

Now I know that if my dogs aren't sleeping beside me, then they're on the couch with my mom She just loves them, sometimes I think more than she loves me LOL, I dont think that's possible tho