Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old December 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Question about Science Diet kitten food

Is there anything "bad" in it aside from the corn "filler"? My kitties aren't allergic to corn, but there's something in the premium kitten food I switched them to (Nutro Max) that just doesn't agree with them. They've been on it over a month and their stools are still extremely soft and I can tell when they're pooping because the smell is so strong it wafts in across two rooms. O____O Even after they've covered their poop, the bathroom smells like something died in it (and it's not like I leave it sitting there, I clean the litterboxes at least three times a day.)

I'm really worried that they're going to start "losing" their litterbox skills just because they can't stand the smell. (I wouldn't use an outhouse that smelled like that!)

So unless there's anything actively harmful (not just useless, like corn) in Science Diet, I'm switching them back to that . . . Their stools were blessedly firm and odor-less on that.

~LM~
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Do you have the ingredients for both? See what is different between the two and you might be able to figure out why there is a change in the stool. Sometimes, the furries are determined to eat crap food no matter how hard we try...
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I'll take a look. The first ingredient is chicken on both of them, so it can't be that . . .

Yeah, some kitties are like that. My parents' cat will only eat ocean-flavored Friskies. She MIGHT deign to eat a teaspoon full of moist tuna-flavored cat food once a day, but other than that it had better be Friskies! If you offer her real meat or cheese, she'll sniff it, sort of sneer, and walk away.

~LM~