Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Question Dogs summer bed??

So my wussy Golden retriever has 'her' fleecey blanket. When we first brought her home, she lay on the blanket (to get her smell on it). Than I would put it on the floor beside my bed (since it smelled like her, she always came and slept on it). Once she settled in, we tranferred her blanket to her crate. It works great since she is scared of the metal crate liner (makes too much noise!) so we took the liner out and stuck the blanket in there.

That has worked for two years now, quite happily

But I was thinking, she's in her crate for over 8 hours everyday (while we're at work/school) she stays in there in the heat (with water!!) on a fleecey blanket ... that must be really hot for her! Duh on me --> (though it works really well in the winter!!)

She needs some sort of crate liner; it can't be metal or plastic since they make too much noise and scare her badly to the point that she won't go in her crate. So what type of material could I use to make a fabric crate liner, but that won't make her really, really hot?! Or is there something that I could buy?? I'm going to hit up the pet stores tomorrow and see if they have anything that I can either make myself or buy.

To clarify: We live in a farm house, so no AC! And we live in the boons, so no neighbours to let her out during the day. I always put water in her crate with her for the duration, along with a toy. And she HAS to stay in her crate or else she'll shred stuff and mess on the floor :-S

Thanks!

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Getting defensive

No A/C ? Do you at least have a fan or two moving air about in the room she is in, and her crate away from the sun ?

Water is good - maybe put some ice in it on the hottest days.

You could put a light cotton sheet or blanket down that may be lighter than the fleece, but likely wouldn't be enough to dampen the sound of the crate liner.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd say cotton would probably be your best bet. I made crate liners by getting an old duvet at a second hand store, cutting it in half (I was making them for 2 dogs) and then folding each half in half to fit the crate. Then I just bought some plain cotton fabric, sewed what basically amounted to giant pillow cases and slipped them over the duvet. Voila, crate liners.

I also leave a fan on during the summer for the dogs and, as you do, leave them with water.
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Talking

Thanks guys. I like the giant pillow case idea ... !!

We always have the windows open to get a breeze through the house. I'll see if I can dig up a fan to put near her crate, so that she can stay really cool in the hot days. And her crate is in the cooler end of the house, in the shade the entire day.

Interestingly enough, she hates ice cubes. She won't drink water when they're in her bowl -- this is a dog with serious opinions!! But I always give her really cold water in the AM and run the dish under cold water to cool it down .. it seems to stay cooler longer when I do that!

Thanks again !!

Old June 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog's summer

Crated every day for 8 hrs straight., could she not be left barracaded in a portion of the kitchen?
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Smile

t.petett, as already stated there is no where in the house to barricade her We have tried, but she insists in causing trouble when left in any part of the house ... except her crate.

Old June 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
-

I don't know where you live but , I went to a cheap store yesterday , here in Quebec , it's like a more expensive dollarstore .... anyway , I saw plastic beds , to keep hot or cold for cats and dogs. I think you fill it with water. If you get one , you could wrap it in a towell so it won't be too noisy.

Also , she's an adult dog and still crated ? Does she have issues ?
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

Also , she's an adult dog and still crated ? Does she have issues ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
We have tried, but she insists in causing trouble when left in any part of the house ... except her crate.
We posted at the same time. You mean she destroys things ?
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Smile

Thanks.

Yes she's an adult dog (6-years-old??) but was raised in a (breeding) kennel. It is proving difficult to change the old girls opinions on housetraining

She'll pee and/or poo when left out, but if she's in her crate she'll hold it till we get home and let her out. I give her a toy to play with in her crate which amuses her, but otherwise she'll go through the garbages and shred newspapers, etc. But she doesn't do any of this when we're in and around the house.

Frenchy, I'm in Ontario. What chain/store did you see the pet 'water bed' in?

Thanks

Old June 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.katoby.com/Products/Soothsoft/CanineCooler/

Pet Value in Ontario sometimes carries these, in summer. They do work, I ordered a small human pillow sized one for myself, from a pharmacy. I would worry about toenail punctures and they are not to be used for dogs who will chew and bite their bedding. You might be able to order one at a human pharmacy too.

I have also heard of people buying thick rubber matting that is used in cow barns for the cows to lie on. You will have to check out some farm supply stores but I think this has been used for chewers who will eat their bedding. Fit inside the metal tray of the crate is important, must not be any gaps where dog could get an edge up. Sorry, I don't know the proper name of these.

I also cringe when I hear the poor dog is in a crate for so long. I expect the chewing and bad behaviour is boredom. Could you build a pen in a little used room for her? We did that when our first girl was a puppy.
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Smile

Thanks longblades. The rubber matting is a great idea! We use that in our (horse) barn, I probably have some offcuts that would fit the dogcrate.

We live in a 100-year-old ++ farmhouse with two rooms downstairs and two upstairs ... doesn't give us many 'unused' rooms.

I'm going to look into building her an outdoor run area where she can stay during the days. Hmmm ...

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

I'm going to look into building her an outdoor run area where she can stay during the days. Hmmm ...
That sounds like the best idea of them all.