Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Dundee is not so well.

Poor Dundee, my sheltie boy, is at the Vet clinic on a drip as I type this. Poor boy is so sick. Running a temp., vomiting bile, not so much diarrhoea as being at the stage of just passing slimey goo. There are signs of infection and his liver result wasn't good. Anyway, he'll be in overnight we think, I'm missing our 'bubby boy' so much already . Don't have a clue what caused this but it came on very suddenly. for him please that it's nothing serious.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Really sorry to hear this GF - keeping fingers crossed for you and Dundee
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Oh GF, I'm so sorry to read this. I hope and it's nothing serious. Please update as soon as you can. Hugs for both you and Dundee

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, oh sounds scary. We had several episodes similar to that with our ESS and she rallied every time, quite quickly too. We were never sure exactly what it was. Hope Dundee gets better soon.
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

GF, thoughts and prayers for Dundee, I hope he is up and running in no time. Praying that it is nothing serious and passes quickly. Hugs to you and Dundee as you wait this out my friend.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Prayers and good vibes coming from this quarter, too, GF! I hope he's home soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Poor Dundee, my sheltie boy, is at the Vet clinic on a drip as I type this. Poor boy is so sick. Running a temp., vomiting bile, not so much diarrhoea as being at the stage of just passing slimey goo. There are signs of infection and his liver result wasn't good. Anyway, he'll be in overnight we think, I'm missing our 'bubby boy' so much already . Don't have a clue what caused this but it came on very suddenly. for him please that it's nothing serious.
I am really sorry to hear this,. I hope your boy will feeling better soon.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone. All I can tell you is that his temperature was still up when I rang this afternoon. Poor little guy doesn't deserve this. Bad enough he has problems with his sight and hearing, plus his hypothyroidism, without feeling so lousy on top of it. I was scared we had bladder stones again because yesterday he couldn't urinate, just kept finding the right spot to go, then walking away with his head down. The vet said that they can get to the stage where they actually get confused and can't work out whether they want to urinate or do the other. Such a relief when he finally did urinate. Matthew now has diarrhoea, so maybe he'll be visiting the vet when I get to pick Dundee up.
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks everyone. All I can tell you is that his temperature was still up when I rang this afternoon. Poor little guy doesn't deserve this. Bad enough he has problems with his sight and hearing, plus his hypothyroidism, without feeling so lousy on top of it. I was scared we had bladder stones again because yesterday he couldn't urinate, just kept finding the right spot to go, then walking away with his head down. The vet said that they can get to the stage where they actually get confused and can't work out whether they want to urinate or do the other. Such a relief when he finally did urinate. Matthew now has diarrhoea, so maybe he'll be visiting the vet when I get to pick Dundee up.
That has to be really hard having both dogs not feeling good. I hope Matthew will get better fast.
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Aw GF, I really hope that both Dundee and Matthew get well quickly.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Sorry to hear about Dundee, do they have even a guess of what it could be?
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, no, Matthew, too? I hope they can figure out what's going on soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she is just treating the symptoms, Hazel, not worrying too much about whether it's bacterial or viral. I'll soon find out if it's infectious I suppose, some things just spread like wildfire amongst my pack. So far Mattie is not acting like Dundee, he seems fine this morning. I wouldn't quarantine Dundee 'in case' as it'd only stress him out. His temp. isn't normal yet but he's bright and starting to eat, I have to ring at 3 this afternoon to see if he can come home.
Penny, who hasn't seen him before, immediately asked me "What is wrong with his face?" . I explained about his mum having the injury whilst in whelp and his consequent birth defects, but a friend said, for a laugh, I should have played dumb and said "What? Is there something WRONG with it!? I did think, back when I was showing my dogs, how funny it'd be to put him in the ring, just to see the Judge's reaction . I'm pretty good at keeping a straight face so they wouldn't know if I was pulling their leg or too stoopid to see he isn't a show specimen. We love our funny face boy though, I opted to leave him his dignity. I'm sure he thinks he's as handsome as all the others.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hope your boys are feeling better .
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, Matt seems fine and Dundee came home, did 3 good puddles outside, then 3 puddles again in the big pen inside . LOL. The diagnosis is an enlarged prostate. The cure? For starters I should spey Jarrah. I'll probably end up with 4 sheltie boys with prostate trouble if I don't seeing her hormones seem to be out of whack. Too much stimulis for the boys with her going in and out of season. However, that has to wait till I'm home from hospital. For now Dundee is on Metacam, plus an antibiotic, and I'm using chemical castration, i.e. the Tardak injection. He can be surgically neutered later on.
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, glad he's home at least! And that Matt is fine today!

Have you scheduled your surgery yet?

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

My surgery is on the 26th June, Hazel. I thought it interesting that 2 Americans I know who have had total knee replacements were released from hospital 3 days after the op., yet here they want patients in for a week. One of those friends sent me a booklet though, one she was given before her op. and in it there are 9 pre-op exercises they do, 3 times with 10 repetitions, twice a day, whereas all the physio told me to do was just one exercise 10 times daily. Isn't that woeful? LOL. You'd have no muscle tone at all. So, I've dragged my big exercise bike out of mothballs and am also doing the exercises, fingers crossed that it might mean I can get mobile and go home early. Dundee didn't eat a lot tonight but I didn't push it because I don't know how much they got him to eat at the clinic.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

GF, glad to hear the boys are feeling better - somewhat. Isn't it interesting how one non-spayed female can create these health issues in a pack of males? I never would have figured that, of course I knew a female in heat would cause them stress and such, but never figured on prostrate issues. Learn something new every day.

Good that you got that info about the knee exercises from your friend. Anything that may help post-op is good to know.

Hope things continue to improve for your pack my friend.
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope all the exercising helps, GF! Less time in hospital is always a good thing!

Also sending more along for Dundee's continued improvement.

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My surgery is on the 26th June, Hazel. I thought it interesting that 2 Americans I know who have had total knee replacements were released from hospital 3 days after the op., yet here they want patients in for a week. One of those friends sent me a booklet though, one she was given before her op. and in it there are 9 pre-op exercises they do, 3 times with 10 repetitions, twice a day, whereas all the physio told me to do was just one exercise 10 times daily. Isn't that woeful? LOL. You'd have no muscle tone at all. So, I've dragged my big exercise bike out of mothballs and am also doing the exercises, fingers crossed that it might mean I can get mobile and go home early. Dundee didn't eat a lot tonight but I didn't push it because I don't know how much they got him to eat at the clinic.
No two people recover at the same rate from surgery, your age and what kind of health you're in made a difference. I hope you'll be feeling like OK soon. That is good news your boys are going better. It's so hard seeing a beloved pet in pain.
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

DD, I should have realised what Dundee's problem was immediately because in the past I have had two male cattle dogs that did have prostate problems when females came in season. Worse when they are older boys by the way. Pencil thin droppings are the clue, although with Dundee it was confusing as he also had diarrhoea. Still, should have guessed. So, now my quandary is, should I risk giving Jarrah something to keep her out of season until I'm back on my feet, driving again, able to look after her following a surgical spey? There is a drug people used to use, methylprogesterone, which can be okay, in that when it wears off, she just comes back in season, OR if you are unlucky, it makes them sterile. That may not be unlucky for me as I think I'll surgically spey her anyway. I don't really want to do it before I go into hospital though, just in case anything goes wrong.
Those exercises are hard enough now, so trying not to think of the joy of doing them with a swollen, stapled up knee.
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

GF, I've never had a male dog before so these things would never have been in my mind at all. Now with the new puppy we're supposed to get it will be a male, but since he won't be a stud dog or show dog he will be neutered at the right age.

I don't envy you the knee surgery. I can't imagine it at all. I am such a wimp when it comes to pain!
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I just wish I knew how bad it will be, DD. I once had a shoulder problem that put my blood pressure up into the heart attack/stroke range, systolic was over 200, and I managed that agony all one night on a dog show weekend without a decent pain killer, so I figure I'll be okay as long as I take the strong pain med's and ice the knee after physio. (Grown men I'm told have been in tears doing the physio, I am so NOT looking forward to this.)
Where Dundee is concerned, the boys are fine when a female comes in season, has a normal heat and goes out again, you can separate them for the time the female is right in. With Jarrah this could be a vaginitis, the males are always thinking they are in season if they have an infection you see, BUT that still wouldn't explain still why she hasn't had a normal heat. I think speying her is the best bet. Have to talk to my vet about it.