Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 10th, 2023, 09:36 PM

Do pets know what we say to them?

Do pets understand what we say to them? I read somewhere that talking or reading to your pets makes them smarter, but that was in a mystery book I read once, and not in a professional pet journal.

Whenever Bob nibbles my hand or tries to bite me, I say no, then I say, "You're a nice sweet good Bob, and nice sweet good Bobs don't bite!" I also give little compliments to Sassy, Shadow, and Pretty Kitty, saying that they're good girls, and I also scold them when they do something they shouldn't, like jumping on the kitchen table or the curtains (and about that, would pet repellent spray work on those? I said in a previous post that I'd spray the furniture with it, and the smell drives the cats away so they don't scratch it). Even up until the day Ambre died, I'd say "I love you" and "You're such a good boy". Also, when the kitties sneeze, I say "Bless you" Even my dad has a little dialog he uses with Sassy, Shadow, and Pretty Kitty: "Well, ladies, let's go up to bed. Sweet dreams."