Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Need help with cat...new here

Hello,

I have 2 male cats that are 4 years old, Peanut and Charlie (hence the name). We have had them for 2 years now. This summer there has been an increase of stray cats in the neighbourhood and in our backyard. We noticed our cats spraying plants around our yard when we took them outside. This spraying was then found inside. On our stove and on our bed. We have only caught the one cat spraying inside. The thing is after we clean Peanut must still smell from when he previously sprayed and will spray again. Is this normal? I thought they would recognize their own smell? It has been an expensive summer to say the least. We have tried so many different things and I think the next step is a trip to the vet. I did read up on the difference between just not using the litter box and spray but he still uses the litter box.

As well, last summer we had no issues with spraying inside or outside. We took these 2 cats in from my sister. We are very much attached and I could not get rid of them but would like to fix this situation.

Thank you in advance!
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM

If what you use to clean has ammonia (or similar cleaning agent) in it, they will spray to cover the ammonia smell cuz it kinda smells like the "base ingredient" in cat pee.

To clean cat spray/pee use 1 cup water 1/4 cup vinegar 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol mix well spray on the area wipe up then for good measure spray & let dry.

Cats & dogs will often re-mark the same spot they've done before to remind others that is still their territory. Also are they both neutered?

Welcome to Pets.ca we would love to see pics of Peanut & Charlie when you are able to post them

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Slave to the Kitties

If they are fixed, it could also be how old they were when they were fixed. Sometimes if there fixed close to or after there majority , they will still spray if they smell other males in the area. Its best to fix a male early so they never really get that urge.
Pics please.
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM

They were fixed as soon as they were old enough to be fixed so that is not an issue...or maybe it is. I just find it odd that this is the first year it has happened. Cats are strange creations though.

For cleaning we use Nature's Miracle. It was recommended to us at the pet store. I have also tried Oxy Clean spray for pets to help eliminate the smell. I will try the vinegar, alcohol, water mix to see if that helps. We had to rip the carpet up in our spare room to get rid of that smell. Good thing we were planning on it anyways.

here are my cats...hopefully the pic works ... sorry if the image is too big I don't know how to resize the image. Peanut is the one stretched out on the couch and Charlie is the black and white one. They are litter mates