Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Ouch your poor head those doggies are just too happy to see you must be the yummy treats & endless face washings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Well even Nugget knows that an octopus is a marine animal!
you're too funny Hazel

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

Friday morning update (16th Jan 2009)

I have been volunteering on Friday evenings for quite a long time now, but unfortunately I have a dinner party with a friend for his birthday. Therefore, I decided to cut class go to the SPCA in the morning and walk a few dogs. I really wanted to try and walk Thelma, whom I met briefly on Monday.

Unfortunately, there were other dogs that were in more urgent need for an outing so I could only say "hi" to her in her kennel.

I was really surprised to see an old buddy of mine, Chance. He was the first dog that I took out. At first he pulled a little on the leash, but after he walked of a little of his energy he was a lot better on leash. Still as smart as before, "sitting and waiting" for me at intersections. A couple of times without me even having to give him the commands. It was a nice long walk, nothing interesting happened.

One gentleman out walking his little fawn coloured PBT (a real handsome little fellow) wanted to say hi Chance. But since Chance is a shelter dog and there is always the chance of kennel cough and what not, I had to polite inform the gentleman that I couldn't let the dogs play. I did explain that Chance was very well behaved and nice, but the more important thing is to not spread doggie flu around.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...78930&result=5

I think he has grown a little bit taller and his shoulder has broaden a little since I have last seen him.

All dogs want to be lap dogs doesn't matter the size!
-Growler
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Next up, I walked Sadie. She was just so mellow and easy going. It was a pleasure to walk her. We didn't go very far nor go for a very long walk though. Sadie just told me in her own way with her body language that she was ready to head back. No balking on the leash or anything, just slowed down her pace and kept looking at me.

Once we turned around, the pace did pick up again. Sadie was easy to walk and good at following directions. We came up to one street corner and there was a broken glass bottle on the sidewalk and I told Sadie to "stop" and I guided her around it. She just followed my direction, no hassel at all. Then on the way back, when we were coming up to the same corner again. Sadie stopped all by herself and looked up to me for directions.

We were walking along the pavement next to the park near the shelter when a PBT who was off leash ran up to greet Sadie. Sadie was really calm and didn't react at all. I just asked her to keep walking and she did.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...82335&result=3

No suckering up to me for belly rubs today though.:sad:

-Growler
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Then I took Chevy out next. He is sharing a kennel with Sadie at the moment. Chevy just couldn't seem to make up his mind what he wanted. First, he didn't seem to go out then once we were out, he decided we needed to get back to the SPCA shelter right away.

In the end I took him out for about 15 minutes. Then once back at the shelter, he didn't want to go back to his kennel, since there wasn't any body around so I just let him chill out in the volunteer room for a bit. Afterward, Chevy decided that he did want to go out after all. So, we went for another 15 minutes stroll. Poor guy can't make up his mind what he wants.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...76235&result=4

-Growler
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Went I was getting ready to leave, in the reception I saw the PBT that ran up to Sadie and his owner. His owner inquired about buying a new leash, seems his broke. The doggie came up to me all big eye and goofy grin (probably had to do with the sandwich I was eating). Since the SPCA doesn't sell leashes and stuff. The guy left with his dog, I did catch him in the parking lot and I gave him my leash (its a little roughed up) which has served me well for many months now.

I also gave his dog a treat.

-Growler
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM

Totally forgot about my boys.

I totally forgot about my boys who were in ISO, Nugget and Houston. Nugget apparently got adopted! Also Houston is all better now and is no longer in ISO but one of the regular kennels.

Houston's profile again
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...83830&result=8

-Growler
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Monday night update (19th January 2009)

Got there pretty early this evening. First dog that I walked is not currently up for adoptions so there isn't much information about him. He was easy to walk and really relaxed. We were out for a nice stroll. It was kind of surreal and nice in a different kind of way with all the fog (there has been a lot of fog in Vancouver lately - FYI For those of you that live else where).

As this dog's situation developes I will post more information.

-Growler
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Nugget got adopted!!!

Nice to hear that Houston is well enough to graduate to a regular kennel, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM

Next up was a buddy Chance!

Chance managed to headbutt me twice tonight, at least it wasn't in my face though. Both time he headbutted me in the chest. I was trying to put the LED light collar around his neck and he was just too excited at the prospect of going out that he kept running around and into me. He has grown a bit from when I first knew him and he is not as clumsy as before now. But he is still basically a big clown.

Also Chance wanted to be helpful and give me a paw or four when I was trying to baggie up his no.2 on our walk. Big guy tried to climb into my lap! He really wanted to help but was more of a hinderance.

Otherwise our walk was fairly leisurely.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...78930&result=7

-Growler

Last edited by Scuba; January 20th, 2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Then it was a senior dog, Basil.

Basil is a senior at eight years old, but it is more of a technicality as he doesn't act like a senior at all. Loads of energy and likes to play. He is a GSD x Husky and his coat really needed a brushing so I grabbed a brush and had at him. He was really good and standing still for me, for the first part at least. I guess, he figured it was kind of comfortable and really enjoyable. That the best way for him to show me his appreciation is to attempt to lick my face and wag his tail really fast so that his whole back end is wiggling. This was all whilst I was still trying to finish brushing him.

A lot came out and I mean a lot. He did look much better after the brushing.

Then we went for a walk. Basil was easy to walk, no issues and will sit for me no problem. Lots of wet dog smell tonight even without any rain, I think on my way home that is one of the reason no one wanted to sit beside me on the bus!?

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...4683&result=11

-Growler
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Some other doggies just because they are cute.

There were two dogs that I didn't walk tonight but I wanted to talk about them anyway just because they are cute.

Joey -He is a boxer cross puppy

When I first got to the shelter tonight another volunteer was carry him around. Apparently the little fellow didn't want to walk but was not adverse to the idea of being carried like a baby.

Later in the evening, a mother daughter volunteer team told me he was snoring away happily in the daughter's arms wrapped in a big blanket in the little grooming/greeting/play room.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...85269&result=2

Sam - Australian Cattledog Cross

I haven't walked him before but I have seen him around. Tonight he wanted to come up and say "hi" to me with his volunteer. Of course I accepted and said "hi" back. Seems like a fun fellow, I will try to walk him if I have a chance.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...83815&result=1

-Growler
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:32 AM

for Nugget in his new home

for Houston being out of ISO

Chance finds the purrfect furever home this time & soon

Such fun adventures you have with those pups not just on your walks but even just in the kennels The dogs are lucky to have you to help out.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM

Friday night update (23rd January 2009)

Houston - Houston got adopted!

On Monday I mentioned that I really wanted to try and walk Sam, well unfortunately I didn't get a chance tonight. I did spend some time with him in the reception area though. He is so cool and funny. Gave me high fives and stuff. I heard from his foster mom (she works at the SPCA) that apparently somebody is interested in adopting Sam.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...83815&result=1

-Growler
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM

First up for me was my buddy Chance

Chance was the first dog that I walked tonight. At first he was a little pig headed tonight with me. Didn't want to sit or wait before crossing the streets. I think part of it is that he is trying to test the boundaries. He is actually a very smart dog so I think he is trying to be clever and see how far he can bend the rules. We had plenty of time however and I have great patience so in the end, Chance was sitting and waiting again.

Thank DOG that he didn't try to climb into my lap again when I was cleaning up after him. I did hear a funny story about my boy though. Another volunteer on Thursday night went out with Chance and as she was picking up his poo. She felt him nudge her in the side. At first she thought Chance was just impatient. Turns out he was putting his nose into her coat pocket and stealing treats to eat.

On our walk we did encounter a group of people and one of them asked really nicely if he could say hi to Chance. Knowing that Chance is very friendly and easy going, I agreed. This gentleman mentioned that he really loves the brindles. As he was squatting down to pet Chance, who was totally loving all the attention, you wouldn't believe how his tail was going. Chance tried to climb into this guy's lap and nearly knocked him over. Fortunately this gentleman managed to keep his balance and he just laughed it off. Doesn't Chance realise that he is not a puppy anymore? He still tries to get onto my lap as well (or anyone's for that matter back at the SPCA) at any opportunity he can. Silly boy.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...78930&result=5

-Growler
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM

Next up was a little sweetheart, Jada. It was my first time walking her and she was quite well behaved and sat or waited whenever asked. She is about 8 months old and is a PBT cross. Mostly fawn in colour with some patches of white. She is on the petite side but very well proportioned and her muscle tone is beautiful. Strong too for her size!

At first, when we started our walk we were just doing our own thing. But pretty soon we caught up to Chance and another volunteer (long time volunteer who loves Chance as well). Jada then decided that she didn't want to walk by ourselves anymore and wanted to hang out with Chance. At first the two of them kept getting the leashes tangled up but once everyone was settled down. It went quite smoothly. Even though Chance is taller than Jada and has longer legs, due to him wanting to stop, sniff and pee on everything. Jada soon took the lead, she did keep turning around to watch and wait for Chance.

It was really fun, a nice little group walk.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...83589&result=6

-Growler
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Live well, laugh often

Chance and Jada are beauty . I'm glad they got to hang out on the walk together .
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:50 AM

Great news for Houston

for Sam's potential adoption

That Chance what a clown people don't know what they're missing out on with him

Jada is adorable

Old January 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM

Friday night update (30th January 2009)

Sorry that there wasn't a Monday evening update, I was feeling under the weather and stayed home. Still have a little bit of a runny nose but it wasn't too bad. The coordinator was joking tonight that I must have kennel cough and that they need to place me into ISO for a week.

I was really really hoping to walk Chance, but he got adopted and I didn't even get to say goodbye to my boy.:sad: So happy and sad at the same time.

-Growler
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:47 AM

First dog that I took out was BASIL

The first dog that I took out was Basil, no issues with him what so ever. We have gone out on walks before so it was all cool.

Basil's coat does look a lot better now. I guess somebody has been brushing him or took him to the groomer. He is so fluffy and even a young lady on our walk commented on how adorable he is. I think her exact words were, "What a cute dog". Then half way into our stroll, coming out of an apartment a gentleman decided to say hi to Basil and said "What a good puppy" and I had to actually tell him that Basil is a senior already.

That is what I love about Basil, he is so relaxed and easy going. Yet he has the energy of a puppy.

Only thing was that he kept wanting to drink out of dirty puddles tonight.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...84683&result=8

-Growler
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:06 AM

Then it was a boy name Sabre

Sabre is a GSD cross with a Rottweiler (?), don't know his age as he was found as a stray. He looks mostly to be a GSD to me, I can't see any Rottie in him personally but the main thing is that he is a very good boy! Sabre was an absolute angel to walk. He was heeling all by himself on our walk. I am pretty sure he has had an owner before who took him out on loads of walks and trained him. He will walk on my left hand side and look at me once in a while. Most dogs even the ones with good leash manners will often time go back and forth to different sides of me to go sniff stuff. Sabre will stop to sniff something and then put himself back into the same spot.

He also sat all by himself a few times as we approached an intersection. Not to mention that on our walk tonight. Going pass an apartment building, I notice that there was a big orange cat outside. At first I was going to cross the street with Sabre. However, since Sabre was really relaxed and didn't even tense up at all. I decided to continue walking down the sidewalk and see what would happen (I did have both hands on the leash just in case). As we were getting closer, this cat started arching its back and hissing. Sabre just looked at the cat once and walked right pass it. The distance was only 4-5 feet at one point. Sabre is just a really well behaved dog, no aggression what so ever. It was like paying attention to the crazy cat was not worth the effort for him.

Poor guy is on a special diet at the moment though and I couldn't give him any treats. He doesn't have a tail, not sure why. He could possibly be my new favorite guy.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...84979&result=3

-Growler
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM

kennel cough/ISO good sense of humour

Great news for Chance

for Basil getting adopted soon

I can see Rottie in Sabre's face - he's adorable original owners probably had the tail docked so he would look more like a rottie With such great leash manners he should have no problem finding a home

Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:04 AM

Update for Monday 2nd of Feb 2009

The first dog that I walked this evening was a girl Staffoshire Bull Terrier, her name is Sacha. She is fairly petite but has long legs and is a brindle, very pretty. It was her first day at the SPCA shelter and she was a little bit anxious and nervous. At first she was a little adverse to the idea of being leashed up and taken out for a walk. So, the coordinator of this evening and I decided to let her calm down for a bit before we tried again.

She actually got pretty excited at watching all the other dogs going out but the second time we tried to put a leash on her, it was no problem. At first she was still really nervous and excited to be out on a walk. After a while she got used to me and we just walked normally.

Sacha likes to walk in front but there was no tension at all in the lead and she kept looking back to me every few steps. She has really good leash manners. Turns out she will also sit and wait very patiently all by herself when we get to an intersection. Just the act of slowing down and stopping by the curb will cause her bum to connect with the ground. Didn't even need to say "sit" once during the course of our walk.

We also walked passed a cat without any issue what so ever. There was even a dog in a ground floor apartment that went nuts as we walked pass and Sacha didn't react in anyway at all.

When we got back to the shelter, the coordinator of the evening was busy so I sat down on one of the benches to wait and Sacha hopped on to join me. Emphasis here is she joined me on the bench not on me.

She is really adorable but since she is so new, there isn't a profile of her available yet. As soon as there is one, I will post a link to it.

-Growler
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM

Next up was a nice big handsome fellow who unfortunately doesn't have a name yet. He was picked up as a stray in Surrey (one of the municipalities in Greater Vancouver Regional District). He is a PBT cross Lab, mostly black in colour with a tiny bit of white on his chest. Didn't seem to response to any verbal command like "sit", "down" or "stay" but there shouldn't be any problem of the volunteers, staffs, coordinators and trainers getting him into a program. He is one mellow and relaxed dude so training him should fairly easy.

On our walk, it seemed he was pretty happy to just keep his nose stuck to the ground sniffing stuff as he ambled along with me. He likes to pull a tiny bit occasionally but the tension is minimal and as soon as he realises that you are not following along at that speed, he slows down.

A testimony to how easy going this dog is, was when I walked into him. He had suddenly stopped right in the middle of the sidewalk to sniff something. Which I was not expecting, normally the dogs like the stretches of grass on the sides. Before I had time to react, I had walked into the his bum. It startled him and he did jump forward and look back. As soon as he realised that it was me and that it was an accident he calmed right down. When I went to one knee and called him, he came right up to me and allowed me to pet him.

He should be able to thrive at the SPCA. Unfortunately there is no profile for him either at the moment.

-Growler
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM

Next up is a little PBT cross, her name is Louise. I wanted to walk her sister before (Thelma got adopted) but I never got the chance so tonight I decided I was going to take Louise out for a quick walk even if it was for 10 minutes.

Turns out our girl was all excited about going out but not for a walk though. She was just more interested in getting cuddles and playing with the volunteers. When I finally coaxed her outside, she only walked half a block and did a pee. Then balked at walking any further. When she wouldn't go any further, I stood there trying to decide what to do and Louise decided it for me. She ran up to me and leaned against my legs so I just gave in and gave her a few good hugs and some scratches behind the ears. She kept trying to climb into my lap. What is it with all the PBT and PBT crosses wanting to climb into my lap?

After a while, we went back to the shelter.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...82682&result=6

-Growler
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:56 AM

Awww Louise is adorable & still just a baby @ 5 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
What is it with all the PBT and PBT crosses wanting to climb into my lap?
They are trying to show the world pitties & bullies are loveable lap dogs too

Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Awww Louise is adorable & still just a baby @ 5 months

They are trying to show the world pitties & bullies are loveable lap dogs too
I know that pitties and bullies are lovable dogs, experienced it first hand myself numerous times. It is the lap dog bit that gets me confused. Especially with a guy like Chance. He is a lot bigger now than when I first knew him. Still acts like a puppy though, just not as clumsy on his feet most of the time.

-Growler
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM

All dogs want to be lap dogs doesn't matter the size

Edit: my Cally was a 70 lbs Dal x Blk Lab who at 12 yrs old still wanted to sit on my lap

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; February 3rd, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM

Friday night update (6th of February)

Sacha has a profile online now, no picture though. Also I didn't get a chance to walk her tonight.:sad:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...6540&result=10

-Growler
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM

First up tonight was Louise

Louise was being a clown again tonight, she kept wanting to play but not walk. When I first got her outside, she just kind of sulked around when I suggested we go for a walk. But she was pretty excited and hyper for the chance to be out of the kennel.

We wandered up and down the sidewalk outside of the SPCA for a couple of minutes. Then Louise found this 500ml pop bottle (7up if anyone wanted to know) and kind of went all crazy. She was batting the thing around with her paws, pushing the bottle with her nose and biting it. It was pretty funny to watch. At one point I did have to step in and remove the label as it was starting to peel off and I didn't want her ingesting any of that.

This went on for about 7-8 minutes. It was only then that Louise decided to go for a walk. But it was only a circuit that consisted of the few blocks immediately around the SPCA shelter. It seems like this little girl just likes to play and cuddle but not walk. At least she did both No. 1 and 2 for me during our walk. So our walk was only about 10-12 minutes long.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...2682&result=11

-Growler
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM

Next up was my old pal Basil

Basil was ready for a walk and his enthusiasm really shows. His kennel is right next to Louise's. When Louise saw that I was taking Basil out, she got all jealous and was *roo rooing*. That and standing up against the kennel door looking at me with her big brown puppy eye.

The coordinator just said to Louise "Well, you had a chance for a nice long walk but you didn't want to go so too bad.".

Basil was just his usual self, just wanted to enjoy a nice stroll and sniff some stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary happened on this walk. Everyone that we encountered did compliment Basil on being a really nice dog in one way or another.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...4683&result=13

PS. No need to feel sorry for Louise in anyway what so ever. Plenty of volunteers were playing with her tonight at the shelter.

-Growler