Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old April 29th, 2004, 08:11 AM
banned user

I'm not trying to loose my temper here but Bludog you crossed a line!!!!!!!

I have a BC a Dalmation and a Purebred sweetie pie!

I spend hours walking running and hiking with them. I live in the heart of the city.

All of mine were rescues. My BC was the only one to survive out of the litter cause the rest were dumped in a dumpster. The Dal had sat in the pound for a month...her face had been smashed and not repaired...she was extremely ill when we took her in. MY oldest Goldy was in the Humane society as a pup. Sunny the cat was pulled out of a recliner with what looked like an eye missing... we found out later the eyes were so infected she lost her sight. Brandy was a exhibition kitten (Petting farm) She was deaf and the guy didn't want her cause she freaked out.

None of these are designer dogs!!!!!!! I took them cause they needed me and I needed them.

Please if you don't like it here go away.....cause the more you all talk the more I think less of you!
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
Please if you don't like it here go away.....cause the more you all talk the more I think less of you!
Ok I want it known... I don't know you or your animals (or anyone else here) I don't care what breed type whatever pet you have... and I'm sure that you are all good people and you all love your animals. I would only like to get the point across that there are different ways to love and properly care for an animal. I realize that any of you that have worked in shelters or animals rescue have seen bad things, but please realize outdoor animals can be well loved and cared for members of a family.

I get as offended as everyone else when told that I must be a horrible owner if I care for my animals differently than you do. The way Bludogs post made you feel is the exact reason I posted here in the first place.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Exactly MBRA,somone like Bludog I would not even dignify with a response.
Amaruq.just ignore him/her,he/she is obviously having a bad day
Well,the sun is shining it's +22C I am taking my LUCKY cats outside and I'll do some spring-clean up.. Have a good day everyone!
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Smile

Rescuekitty
I have NO idea why all these people are on your case.
My dogs are what you would call inside dogs, but I know plenty of "outside" dogs that are healthy,happy and more loved than allot of "indoor" dogs in this world.
You keep on doing what your'e doing and shrug this off.
See you on the EMG<BB
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm still waiting to do my drive by pooping!! Sadie has lots to offer

I think I'm going to move to a very small apartment (since I live in a city) and get a very big dog, a very active dog and a very loud dog.

I am then going to put the three of them on a 5x3 balcony that is 1/2 taken up by stacks of Canadian 24/s and some garbage I never put out cause I'm too lazy.

The neighbours don't complain cause their too stoned/drunk or off doing some illicit activity that involves the criminal element, because thats what us city slickers do LMAOO!

Okay now for the serious stuff, to the individuals who seem to be experiencing techical difficulties with their computers..... bringing them back to this site time and time again even though they hate it..... I suggest you clean your cachet!
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Thumbs up

MBRA

Well said
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I'm still waiting to do my drive by pooping!! Sadie has lots to offer
Humm.. you not want to engage in drive by poopings with horse owners... we have more ammo!!!

I personally think that anyone lumping all city people... is just as bad as lumping all outdoor pet owners in one pot... I don't agree with either opinion.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Actually I need some manure please bring all you got!! I have a very large garden that would benefit!!

BTW my drive by pooping mesg was 'aimed' towards Mona as a joke since she's in my city visiting her dad!

Side note reminds me of a farmer in Nova Scotia where a bank called a loan on him to pay all at once. Naturally he didn't have it, bank was putting pressure on him to pay it all off NOW. There also happened to be a 'new homes' builder trying to buy property in the area (the bank would benefit from several new mortgages if ya follow).

Anyway, the farmer....did I mention farmed PIGS (LOL) as well as crops.

Took his tractor along with his hose feeder (loaded with pig poop) and drove it into town where he plastered the bank in piggie poo!!!

You may say the employees had a *****ty day
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Actually I need some manure please bring all you got!! I have a very large garden that would benefit!!

BTW my drive by pooping mesg was 'aimed' towards Mona as a joke since she's in my city visiting her dad!

Side note reminds me of a farmer in Nova Scotia where a bank called a loan on him to pay all at once. Naturally he didn't have it, bank was putting pressure on him to pay it all off NOW. There also happened to be a 'new homes' builder trying to buy property in the area (the bank would benefit from several new mortgages if ya follow).

Anyway, the farmer....did I mention farmed PIGS (LOL) as well as crops.

Took his tractor along with his hose feeder (loaded with pig poop) and drove it into town where he plastered the bank in piggie poo!!!

You may say the employees had a *****ty day
I know the drive by pooping was in jest.. it's cute

Ok this is weird... I'm from NS... I remember that story... can't remember any details but I know I've heard that before.... LOL small world.

Oh and you're welcome to my manure... LOL
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Lol

The hubby has been experimenting with some gardening and as a result I swear we've got the biggest pile of "stuff" you can imagine....guess for the most part you might say I keep my chit to myself.......lmao
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba,your a bit late with Sadies poop...Dad put the manure down last week.. ....But if he needs a top up,i'll let you know... ...I'd rather you stink up your car with Sadies poop then stink mine up with Yukon and Trons....LMAO
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Holy ****! Did I ever miss a good post!! For the last couple of weeks I've only been able to come on here for a few minutes at a time.
Here's my 2 cents. I agree with quite a few of you, even a lot of the new ones. As for a posse there is already a posse on this forum so its kind of nice to see a new one. . As for maturity levels that varies quite a bit around here!! I have walked away shaking my head a few times from here about if you don't agree, which is total b.s. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but the new ones made some very valid points!! Just because you don't agree doesn't mean the others are bad people.
I am not trying to offend anyone just saying what I perceive sometimes. Sorry!!
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

There is already a posse on this forum? Where and who, do tell I would love to know!!
Old April 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
There is already a posse on this forum? Where and who, do tell I would love to know!!
By my observation you need only scroll back on this tread to before our posse arrived.
Old April 29th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ahh well I"m looking through my romper room mirror and I see..... no wait! Thats silly!!
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM

RK, just to set the record straight....yet again....I didn't say you, specifically, were condemning anyone. I was trying to explain that everyone here should calm down, quit with the pack mentality, and quit barking at each other.
Wayyyy to much reactionary commenting going on here.

Again, it's the internet folks. Relax. You don't know each other, and don't know how anyone on here actually treats their animals. I have seen so many blanket statements in this thread from not both, all sides. I haven't seen just two distinct sides in any of this.

Anyhoo, where's the moderator here? I've heard of this guy Marko, but haven't seen him try and settle things down here. This guy must be like the Maytag repair man, who never has to deal with this kind of crap and ends up sleeping through it when it happens.

This thread should be locked, deleted and forgotten about.
Way too much passive aggression.

Nice job everyone. This thread is the first I've seen that's reminiscent to the hockey message boards with thirteen year olds threatening each other over a "your goalie sucks" comment.
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Lock this thread please?
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure Marko will lock it, or not, as he sees fit.
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think we should be all grown up here
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:58 PM

I just want you to know Amaruq, that I am leaving. I came here to enjoy interacting and meeting with fellow Canadian animal lovers. Apparently this is not the case. Maybe you are animal lovers... Okay, I'll give you that. But by the attitudes you have shown me here, you're not the kind of people I'd like to associate with anyway. I noticed before I ever posted anything here that several of you have picked on others before in previous posts. I think you need to realize your way is not the only way, albeit maybe for some animals, but not all. I love all my animals and just because they live outdoors, or in the barn does not mean I love them any less. I actually received a message from someone, who shall remain anonymous, on this board thanking me, and telling me to stick around because they think someone like me is needed around here, as they are sick of the way you people are acting toward some posters. (They did not post in this thread BTW, but they have been around a lot longer than me. They are one of the more "experienced" posters here.) I may stick around to read posts, and pop in the occasional answer to a question, but I will not be seeking advice, nor will I be sharing my achievements that I have with my pets. I have other places I can do that, such as where my friends who backed me up here came from. I never thought that simply stating that allergies sometimes cannot be controlled by medicine, would start a fight like this one.
And in fact, someone did say that I should give up my dog(I don't remember whether it was said to give it to a shelter, but I think that was said as well). I will look through the posts and quote it in a another reply if I can find it... That would have been something that hurt me if I cared what you people think. I don't! I just wanted to share with you that there are other ways, so that maybe you could be more open minded.
I'm sure there are just as many indoor animals that are poorly treated as outdoor ones, but maybe all you ever see are the outdoor ones. I don't think all the animals you deal with come with stories, and I doubt that they told you " I used to be a barn cat" or " I used to be an outdoor dog". Maybe they were indoor animals which someone decided got too big/too ugly/peed too much/barked too much/ whined too much/weren't trainable/etc. Maybe they were thrown out on the street or out into the country and became feral animals because of these people who had them as indoor pets. My last cat, who was also outdoors for the time I had him, was a throw away. He was thrown out of a moving car by somebody... As if that wasn't bad enough, he was tied up in a bag too. I have seen everything out in the country. A lot of it done by city people who decide they no longer want their animals. I've seen kittens run over, tied in bags with a rock or two and drowned, etc. It's not a pretty sight. I saved my last cat. I'm sure he was happy to be with a person who loved him. Although we didn't have a lot of room where we used to live, so I found a better home for him, with someone who rescued animals, and made him a house cat. Although he still prefers to be outside. I don't think you can fairly blame any one group for the abused and mistreated animals out there. But that's just my two cents.
I understand many of you are into rescue, and come across bad cases all the time, some of which are outdoor animals, but that does not mean that all owners which have outdoor or barn animals treat them badly.
If I had a temper, I would have flown off my handle at some of the things you guys said about me and other outdoor owners. A lot of what you said, especially before the other posters showed up, was rude and inconsiderate of you. I'm sorry if I said anything that you did not like, but I don't think I was rude about it. I think that all the people here who have been bashed deserve an apology. I'm sure they won't get it, as I know that would be a terrible thing to some of you... to admit you are not fully right. But it's something that is deserved. I was also very surprised to hear from a friend that posted in favour of outdoor animals that she received "hate mail" from one of you. How low is that??
I'm not stooping to the level of some of you. So I'm out of here. I think it's a loss, as I'd love to meet more people from my area who are pet lovers like myself, but, I'd rather be happy somewhere else. You guys need to get off your pedestals and look around. As my mom always used to say, "Some people need to get up off their pedestals to learn their lessons, others need to fall! " For some reason, I think many of you will have to fall before you learn your lessons. But go ahead... prove me wrong and appologize for the mean and hurtful things you have said to some of the people here, including myself.
Old April 29th, 2004, 11:04 PM

Quote:

3 mons old living outside and this wasn't enough for you to say, hey this dog needs a better life.
Maybe I am mistaken, but I think this USED to be the post that said I should give up my dog.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:07 AM
banned user

Thats your choice RK.. I see you replied to a few posts in the Vets. I just bet you will be back because we all have something to give to each other. I agreed with luba that at 3 months old the pup is too young to be outside. Not to mention dangers but also health wise they are not fully vacinated yet.. I think allot of people agree with that.
I think you took things way too seriously...if you looked at my posts and a few others everyone agrees that there is good in bad in all.
We may not agree with your choices but you didn't need to bring people from another board to stick up for you. It's like an us against them and really doesn't make you look very good on this board. I agree with Bill on this as it looks childish.
I was on a board that I had a disagreement on...It really upset and yes I voiced it hear thinking maybe I was in minority in my way of thinking. But to bring people there to yell and scream :P
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
I was on a board that I had a disagreement on...It really upset and yes I voiced it hear thinking maybe I was in minority in my way of thinking. But to bring people there to yell and scream :P
Actually that's all she did.. we all asked her to post a link, as we all felt as strongly about it as she did. After being totally offended by what I saw... I felt the need to post. Does it matter why I saw the post? I would have posted the same things had I found it another way.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Rude to people?Have you read alot of the posts?Some have been taken off.But if we are to be called rude for caring for an animal,then so be it.We have everything on here.He have been sworne at so many times.People come on here with very ill animals,throwing up blood,can't move,pooping blood,not pooping,eating or drinking for a week,shaking.The list goes on and on.And alot say they can't afford a vet.We suggest they ask the vet for a payment plan or borrow the money.Or when we say take the animal to a vet,they freak out.If we didn't care for animals,then we wouldn't be on here trying to help....And how many of these people come back on here because their animal has died?There have been quite a few.And it breaks our heart.Knowing that if they would have taken them to the vet ASAP,the animal would have had a chance.When you take on a pet,they are your pet for life.That means having the money put aside for an emergency...Our pets are our life.And to be honest,I wonder about the people who do come on here with the things I have stated,if they have children.Do they go on a site saying my baby is choking or coughing up blood,what should I do?I sure as to He!! hope not.Go through all the posts,the ones on Ask a vet and you will understand what I mean.WE are animal lovers on here.You talk about the negitives about us,what about the possitive in us?The ones we have helped?There are many.We even help each other out.But I guess you turn a blind eye to that side.Being on this site,I have learned alot.

As for farms,I also know that farmers have a right to shoot a dog that comes on your property.My sister had a beautiful GSD.My nephew was taking her for a walk.Yes she was on a leash.His shoe came untied.He went to tie it up and dropped the leash.Tori took of to the neighbors farm.The neighbor who knew her,shot and killed her.My 3 nephews and neice where in tears.They had nightmares for the longest time.Especially my neice.Since you are in Ontario,this law does apply to you to.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,I guess this thread has been discussed to death
I very rarely get angry at my PC screen and most of the time,since you cannot see the what is going on with some posters and their animals,you get a mental picture in your mind.
My picture of RK's pregnant and due cat out in the cold trying to find shelter under a piece of sheetmetal,was not a pretty one,hence the response.
Rk later explained her mom being allergic etc....and that she really had nowhere for the cat to be in a warm place,which she later changed.
So,all is now good in farm-country and if RK choses not to be part of Pet.ca so be it,no problem
Oh,I forgot to mention,my Rocky now 8yrs old,came from a farm,I got him for free.He was one among 6 kittens in a box given away for free at my local pet-food store.I hope the others were as lucky as Rocky!
Actually my vet wants to test his blood for feline leukimia(SP?),she said it's prevalent in barn-cats...oh well.It seems to me to be a little late for testing,but we'll see.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:48 AM

But Mona... That was one of my points... just because other people have been or are bad pet owners doesn't give you the right to fly off the handle at a person because you don't like they way they care for their animal. There was nothing on this thread about an animal in need. All animals mentioned were healthy and happy.

I would probably join in with you if RK were talking about her dog with a gaping wound and not allowed inside or not taken to the vet... or her small hairless dog forced out in the cold, but that was never the case. It's not that I don't understand where you are coming from... but I think you are going to alienate a lot of loving pet owners with the 'my way or the wrong way' attitude. Especially with the horses, I've learned a lot by keeping an open mind and listening to other owners who did things differently. I completely disagreed with some, but accept their choose as something I would not do but something that works for other people and animals, but I've also got some great ideas. Because of what I've learned I've changed how I do things and those changes have made me and my animals happier.

I don't want or expect anyone to adopt my thinking, or even agree with me, but I don't want to be condemned because I'm different either.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Sure you may love your pets but someone else could love them more and share with them the things they deserve to have, not just look at through a door or a window and wish for!! I wonder if they understand the allergy situation, of it they just figure they're not loved enough to be allowed in the family home.
The more I go on about it the more t'd off I get!
Actually here is the post that t'd me off... as someone commented that no one told anyone to give up their pets.. here it is! This was in responce to RK saying that her dog and cat lived out because a family member was allergic. No cat having kittens under a piece of metal mentioned before here.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I flew off the handle because I heard allergies and outdoor dog.Especially at the age of 3 months..I know many people with allergies that have pets.My step-father being one of them.And they have a cat and a dog.Both indoors.And what I mean by indoors is not that they live their life totally inside.But they don't stay out 24/7...If having a dog live outside because there are allergies,then I would rather the dog be rehomed knowing that it would not have to stay outside 24/7,but to be part of the family "pack" and have it sleep inside at night...And we are not talking about a working farm dog here.This is a Springer Spaniel.

Also,there was a pregnant cat in my sisters barn...My nephew managed to get her in the house.Yes it took alot of work.But she stayed in the mud room where she gave birth to 4 kittens.Since my sister already had 3 indoor cats,she asked one of her neighbors who had no cats if she could take care of them.She agreed.In time all kittens were fixed and so was Mom cat.Mom cat stayed with on of the kittens.And the 3 others went to good homes.So yes,to bring in a barn cat to have babies can be done.And we think that she may have had babies previous.The reason is when the kids went in the barn to check on the calves,they climbed up on to the haystack.There were remains of new born kitten paws.The raccooons had to have gotten a hold of them....
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
I flew off the handle because I heard allergies and outdoor dog.Especially at the age of 3 months..I know many people with allergies that have pets.My step-father being one of them.And they have a cat and a dog.Both indoors.And what I mean by indoors is not that they live their life totally inside.But they don't stay out 24/7...If having a dog live outside because there are allergies,then I would rather the dog be rehomed knowing that it would not have to stay outside 24/7,but to be part of the family "pack" and have it sleep inside at night...And we are not talking about a working farm dog here.This is a Springer Spaniel.
But dogs CAN live happily outside given the right breed and type (ie can grow enough hair to be warm). I have nothing against indoor pets - I have 2. But I've also owned outdoor pets as well... and had barn cats (usually dumped at my parents farm) give birth in the barn -usually in the hay loft, without problems. Usually cats that are outside (especially feral - none of ours were) are less stressed outside and usually will find a warm safe place to give birth.

I don't understand why you think it's ok for working farm dogs to sleep outside and not non working farm dogs... why the difference? - I'm serious here, I'm wondering why that is different to you?
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Actuall Rk's very first post is on "Ask the vet"page 3 post no 1..her original question was about her pregnant cat who had already had several litters