Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM

Best brush to remove Husky undercoat?

I have been meaning to ask for suggestions on what type of brush will best remove undercoat?

Has anyone tried the furminator? http://www.furminator.com/

A local pet store was advertising this product and I was intrigued however the thing costs $80

Although, being a Mom of two very furry babies, I'm willing to spend that if it cuts down on the hair!

Any suggestions?
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Doggie Wench

I have the Furminator and I love it! Lucky has an extremely thick undercoat and it works amazingly well. I brush him daily for 10-15 minutes and he hardly sheds at all in the house now. Yes, it is pretty expensive but it saves me hours of vacuuming every week (more free time for Pets.ca ).
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Learning fast

Unfortunatly you have to try it to see, missy has a thick undercoat that you couls almost pull out by hand, the furminator worked no better than the $6 comb for us, the results are about 50/50 for them being a must have thing. I really wanted it to work but it jsut didn't it's one of those things you have to take the plunge.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Flyball Mom

I used a rake on my husky. Similar to the furminator, but 1/10th the cost.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Owned by goldens

Furminator

I have heard wonderful things about the furminator and was planning on buying one this weekend. They are not cheap but if it cuts down on the shedding it will be worth it.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM

My husky check list would be:

Best Shot Ultra Wash Shampoo
Best Shot Ultra Plenish Conditioner
Best Shot Ultra Vitalizing Mist De-mat spray
High Velocity dryer, like a little Metro Air Force Blaster $275 but worth every penny. You can get cheaper ones but this one is powerful!
The bath and HVD does 95% of the work.

Then tools I would use to get the rest of the loosened undercoat out would be an undercoat rake, metal comb, then once nothing more is coming out move to the furminator and use it until nothing more comes out. I could live without the furminator with a Husky. I find with Husky’s once you get the undercoat loose it comes out pretty easy but I can’t live without the furminator for breeds like GSDs and Labs, the never ending shedders.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

We've always used rakes on our keeshonds. Furry little monsters they are. Undercoat is very dense.

Cindy
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

best brush

A brush won't get the undercoat out as well as a rake and a metal moulting comb.
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM

Was anyone at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto last fall? There was a great demo of a grooming tool that worked great on undercoats. Maybe it was the Furminator.. I honestly can't remember. It was kind of pricey, otherwise I would have bought one because I have a 2 dogs with undercoats AND this thing was supposed to be good for regular grooming of cats, dogs, and horses.

I watched the demo for a few minutes and it really was working well. My 11 year old husky X is still shedding out his undercoat. He needs daily brushing to keep his coat looking decent. I threaten to clip him every year!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
I used a rake on my husky. Similar to the furminator, but 1/10th the cost.
And 1/10th the hair.

I use a double rake as a regular grooming brush, but I use my furminator seasonally (or when he blows his coat). I love the rake, but I don't know how what I would do without the furminator. That's one awesome tool.

Use it outside. (Those who've used one... know.)
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Live well, laugh often

Gotta say that I also loooovvvveee my furminator. Thought I would never buy one and then I was in a pet store with Lucy (yellow lab) and they actually had some sample ones to try and wow, I was hooked. I think it really depends on the type of hair you are dealing with but it is awesome for labs.

My mom was just over with her choc lab who is majorly shedding right now, I furminatored him and it was just like the ad .
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM

I'll take a look at the furminator - have a coupon for 25% off so that helps! I'll have to look at the rake as well. I just have a slicker brush and comb but that never seems to do the job.

Thanks for the advice!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM

I just got this 2 in 1 undercoat rake and shedding blade. It was recommended to me by the owner of the pet supply store where I shop. I just brushed Lobo (long-haired shepherd) with it and got a huge amount of hair out. The undercoat rake works better than the one I usually use, I thought the one I had was doing a good job on Sable, but this one got tons more hair out of her. The shedding blade part I wouldn't use on her (I want her to be fluffy!) but it worked well on Lobo, and it did really well on Basko (shepherd), he has a short coat, too short for a rake, but is constantly shedding and pin and slicker brushes do nothing for him.
Old May 15th, 2018, 05:38 AM

Sorry, I know that this topic is very old, but maybe my answer will help someone in the future since I spent a lot of time to find the right information. Okay- try this- get a water spray bottle. I have found spraying the rake with water catches the flyaways. Or even spray lightly the area of the dog.
The best way to get rid of the undercoat is to bathe the dog- using a good pin brush or rake with each step- the initial wet down, after the shampoo is applied, then rinse out.
Either way- its great for catching the flying hair. It's also soothing to the dog.
If the dog has hot spots, maybe a tar type shampoo is a good idea or any shampoo made for irritated skin would do it. Take it slow and easy- like a message. I also recommend using the combo, an undercoat rake with a slicker brush like Oster18 https://petapproves.com/best-dog-brush/ . I use the undercoat rake to pull out the undercoat and finish it off with a slicker or greyhound comb for the top coat. Gets out way more hair than the furminator without damaging the guard hairs. There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube, I will leave here one of them, I hope someone will come in handy. Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIPDFLjjtC4

Last edited by cesutedig; May 17th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.