Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM

canine papilloma

hi all

my pomeranian has developed a papilloma on her chin. I've taken her to 2 vets and haven't had much luck. the first one said to remove it if it doesn't go away in 3 or 4 weeks and the other one gave me some lysine but that hasn't helped either. I've read a few things online, some people recommend putting apple cider vinegar on it, others seem to have success rubbing a banana peel on it, I've read that thuja can be beneficial too. any advice? it's gotten bigger seen we were at the vet I really want it gone it's quite ugly and I can't take her to daycare till it's gone.
thanks.
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you seen this thread, Jotunleo?

Anti biotic treatment for canine oral papilloma??

How long ago did the papilloma appear? I wonder if Azithromycin would be helpful for your girl?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 10th, 2016, 11:22 PM

thank u for the link! the papilloma has been there for about 3 weeks. she did have some smaller ones in her mouth and they have disappeared. it's just the one on her chin that's left, it looks so gross. I'm hoping it is not going to get any bigger but if it doesn't start to regress soon I may look into the azithromycin. Maybe I should try some vitamin c as well. hopefully my local pet store sells that.
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I know when I'm looking for supplements for the dogs, I very often find what I'm looking for at a health food store, so that's another option!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:04 PM

it is safe to use human supplements on your dog?
Old October 13th, 2016, 02:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It probably depends on the supplement. Human strength might not be suitable for dogs or cats...or it might be a substance toxic to cats and/or dogs but that is tolerated well in humans. So it's a good idea to do some research before starting supplements. If you have a holistic vet in the area, they often have good advice.

As for Vitamin C supplements, once you figure out what the dose should be, the human variety should be okay to use. As I understand it, sodium ascorbate is a good variety of Vit C supplement to use in dogs as it's easily absorbed by the intestine. You'll have to do some research to figure out how much to supplement with, though--the dose will depend on the size, age and general health of your dog.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; October 14th, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:54 PM

thank you ! I will look into it. Michael appreciated.