Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Strange Tail

I'm in the process of buying a puppy. At 3 weeks old everything looked fine. Now, at 6 weeks, the puppy's tail is limp and is not growing at the same rate as the others. It is shorter and it is cocked slightly to the right near the base but limp throughout.

My first thought was a possible kink tail but it doesn't look like that is what it is. Behaviourally, he fits in well with his litter mates and acts like a normal puppy would.

Breed: Siberian Husky
Sex: Male
See photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericacl...in/photostream

Just wondering if anyone has seen something like this before and if it is something serious?

Thanks in advance!
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

It would be interesting to see the other pups tails just for comparison. That said, I recently brought home an Alaskan Malamute. Actually two. They are about three and a half months now and while the female's tail is fully curled and over her back most of the time, the male often has his tail down. Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's just sorta hanging there. Does this puppy ever raise his tail?
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Would you be able to have a vet check the puppy out to made sure there is nothing else wrong with him? How does his hips and rear end look to you, can he walk OK ?
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Would you be able to have a vet check the puppy out to made sure there is nothing else wrong with him? How does his hips and rear end look to you, can he walk OK ?

The breeders are taking him to the vet to get a look over and his first round of needles so I would know then. He walks and plays around just like the other puppies so it doesn't seem to be affecting him too much

It's just a bit of a concern right now and I was wondering if anyone has seen something like it. Google searches haven't proven to be too helpful.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
It would be interesting to see the other pups tails just for comparison. That said, I recently brought home an Alaskan Malamute. Actually two. They are about three and a half months now and while the female's tail is fully curled and over her back most of the time, the male often has his tail down. Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's just sorta hanging there. Does this puppy ever raise his tail?
Here is a picture of one of his sibling's tail at 4 weeks:

The breeder said that he hasn't raised his tail yet. He is the runt though so I'm wondering if he is a bit behind

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 18th, 2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Fixed picture link
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaG33 View Post
The breeders are taking him to the vet to get a look over and his first round of needles so I would know then. He walks and plays around just like the other puppies so it doesn't seem to be affecting him too much

It's just a bit of a concern right now and I was wondering if anyone has seen something like it. Google searches haven't proven to be too helpful.
I was asking about how the puppy can walk because my dog Marty has trick knees and his tail will hang low when his knees are popped out of joints. I was also thinking maybe his tail got hit by a door or something.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I was asking about how the puppy can walk because my dog Marty has trick knees and his tail will hang low when his knees are popped out of joints. I was also thinking maybe his tail got hit by a door or something.
Two good things to think about! Thanks for the reply
Did your dog Marty show signs of trick knees when he was a puppy?
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaG33 View Post
Two good things to think about! Thanks for the reply
Did your dog Marty show signs of trick knees when he was a puppy?
I got him when he was 2 yo at shelter , I found out about the tick knees by my vet after I adopted him. I am not sure why the shelter's vet did not pick on this. Marty was very sick when I got him but I was not about to bring him back . He was shipped 3,000 miles from California to the shelter in Massachusetts and I did not want to put him through any more rejection .

Tags
puppy