Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Tux,my poor stray..

I don't know if I talked on the Forum about him,I have talked to 14+ and ACO and gotten some good advice.
I have seen him around since last winter,when I trapped a little grey/white stray,but I was hoping Tux had a home.
I have been feeding him for a few months and he eats a lot,I give him one can of food+a large handful of dry and some treats,he eats it all in no time.

He always comes from the same place,I've watched him,every day between 7-8pm.
He comes from a large town-house complex across the street from us,sits and waits until it's safe to cross our very busy streetmy heart is in my throat until he's safely across,I think he's incredibly streetsmart,but one day...

I've spoken to a few people in the compex and they say he's known as the"mean"cat and people throw things at him:sad:
They say he fights but there are sooo many cats over there,I know of one moron who has an in tact female who keeps having kittens,no wonder there are cat-fights

ACO suggested I talk to our HS,often they would trap a stray cat,neuter and release him back to where he was.
With 14+ help I have some good ideas about building a shelter for him for the winter and we will.
Still,I am very unsure and indecisive,would that be the right thing to do???
He's a kitty that would never get adopted by anyone,he looks like he's had a rough life,probably left behind when someone moved and HS is not a place for him.
I cannot take him in to my house,Rocky would kill me,it's just not possible.
What are your thoughts??
He is not as scared anymore as he was,I can be sitting 10 feet away from him and he does not run,but when I stand up he takes off,then comes back to eat his food.
Here are some really bad pics of him,I took them through my window-screen.
Attached Images

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, chico, I wish I could take him :sad:.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Is Tux lost chico? :sad: You have this posted in the lost and found forum. Please say he's not. You are such a sweetheart to look after this boy as you have been. Most would turn a blind eye as you well know.
L4 - I have told chico often I would bring Tux out here. I think chico enjoys looking after him. He is a sweetie. No wonder he doesn't trust people the way he's been treated. :sad:

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 25th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Chico2 are you talking shelter as in what 14+ makes with the styrofoam and straw and stuff, or are you talking made of wood. If it's wood let me know and i'll build you something and drop it over.
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh chico, Tux needs to have a place where he is safe. I know Rocky will never allow another kitty into your home, but he can't keep crossing the street. He will run out of lives :sad:.

He so reminds me of my beloved Bootsie . He was my first real cat that decided that we were to take care of him. We lived in Winnipeg, I was 13 years old. He passed away when I was 20. He was my best friend as a teenager.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I would definitely make him a shelter; that way he'll won't have to cross the street to get to you and you can keep a closer eye on him.

Some angel here sent me a web-page for a simple shelter which costs almost nothing (I spent maybe $20 per) and can be put together in less than an hour, even for us non-handy types. All you need is one of those plasic storage boxes with a lid, a big sheet of styrofoam, and some straw. A heat-reflecting 'blanket' (not always easy to find - Canadian Tire usually has them in the camping section) helps but is not essential.
Loblaws here sells bales of straw around Hallowe'en - Quebeckers love Hallowe'en (doctoral dissertation anyone?). Then in the spring you can recycle it into the compost or use it as mulch on the garden.
They are fantastically warm shelters and a warm cat burns fewer calories, increasing his chances of survival.
All that being said, any kind of shelter will help.
Remember to put it out of sight of your own cats so they won't go ballistic.
I had a brilliant set-up last year for Lil'Guy (now my very own excessively fat moggie). I put the shelter next to a discarded stove with the door missing and used the oven (with a board propped in front of it) as a dining room. Cat in the oven!

www.neighbourhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Chico2 are you talking shelter as in what 14+ makes with the styrofoam and straw and stuff, or are you talking made of wood. If it's wood let me know and i'll build you something and drop it over.
When I was at chico's last time we went online. We found a really neat shelter made of two plastic containers, one smaller than the other. The smaller one fit inside the other, in between the two was lined with straw, the small box was half filled with straw. It was a perfect safe haven for a kitty on a cold night. Straw is a wonderful insulator for them.
I will see if I can find the site.
We also looked at my favourite site with the styrofoam houses filled with straw. They are easy to make and inexpensive. No matter what they make for Tux he will be warm and safe in one.
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM

I hope this helps.
http://www.habitatforcats.com/huts.htm

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

There are many sites showing a ton of shelter ideas. My favourite is still this one...
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_...WINTER_SHELTER
But I would put a covering over the door or make it smaller so kitties have more protection. The idea is to keep them warm and toasty. I will be making more for my ferals this winter just to make sure they have enough spots.

This is the one chico and I were looking at when I was at her house. It's neat and very easy to make.

http://www.spayandstay.org/wintershelter.htm

There is also:
http://www.urbancatleague.org/Shelters.html

http://www.zimbio.com/All+the+Beauti...ay+Cat+Shelter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmyle...7609378965509/

http://www.pacthumanesociety.org/core/WinterShelter.htm
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no 14+,Tux is not lost,I just was not sure where to put the post.
He was here last night,had lots of food..
Remember I said I thought something was wrong with his jaw,looking at him closer,I see he has black fur on the sides of his bottom jaw,which made his mouth look lopsided.
I would never ask you to take him,I don't know what he would do,if he would ever integrate with your beautiful kitties,according to the people in the town-houses,he fights.

We have lots of styrofoam,even one of those"camping-blankets"and will get straw.
I like the idea of a wooden box with a lid(thank's Aslan for your offer)but we'll probably get the plastic-containers as seen on the site.

We have a good spot right right under the eaves in the front of our house,protected by a big cedar,not much snow ever gets there and Rocky cannot see him.

I know I sound like a wuss,but this is new to me,normally I'd call HS and they pick a stray/lost cat up,but I cannot put Tux in a cage at HS:sad:
The thing that bothers me,is whether I am doing the right thing for him or not,he should be neutered and have a check-up.
Like ACO said,I have to get my butt in gear and drive up to talk to HS...
Thank's everyone
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico, you could always do both. Talk to HS and see if they will TNR. Then you can build a shelter for him. Then at least he will not contributing to the pet overpopuation. Also by being examined by a vet, they will be able to tell you if he has any serious medical issues going on. I have seen lots of cats suffer illness, while living outside and sercum to their illness

ACO22