Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Crazy kitten moments... need to vent

My adorable 6 month old kitten Newton has really been testing my patience lately. I don't think there's too much I can do about it, aside from hoping his moments of extreme behaviour become less frequent in time, but I just need to rant a little.

Over the past two days, he has managed to knock over a floor-standing photo frame (damaging two of the glass panels), tip over a plant stand (the glass top broke into two pieces, so that will need to be replaced as well), as well as go on a digging safari in the litter box, dumping a rather large mound of cat litter onto the floor.

And for some reason, he has taken a great interest in all the wall-mounted picture frames, as well as my fridge magnets - things which he never paid attention to in the past. Even the large canvas print I have hanging above the sofa isn't safe, as I see him pawing at it at times. I'm afraid I'll come home one evening and find it ripped into tiny little pieces.

It's really starting to drive me nuts. I thought my home was reasonably cat-proof, but I guess not so much if a kitten is hell bent on destruction.

He's neutered, and has an excellent, well-behaved companion and role model, his mommy cat Newt, to look to.

I just hope he calms down at some point.
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

hahah!! I feel for you, I really do!! I have a Noella, very similar to your Newton!! Well except she's 3!! She has little hidden devil horns! She gets into everything, climbs on everything, pulls stuff out of bookcases, likes playing with the pictures on the walls, she's a thief and will try to steal the nurse's tools when she comes to look after my Mom's feet. She has to help me put groceries away, if she's in the bathroom when you're doing your business she'll climb the curtains cause she knows you can't reach her! She's either very frustrating or very cute, right now she's helping my Mom! If I'm cooking she has to watch or doing the dishes is just fascinating for her! I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, she also has 3 big brothers and a dog! My other cat Bobee, whom I also got as a kitten, was the total opposite, he never got into trouble!!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:48 AM

I have 2 Bengals, half brother/sister from different litters 2 weeks apart... they are total opposites of one another:

Male: Laid back, not very socialable with people except myself for the first few months and as of recently he and hubs have bonded! He is a good eater/drinker mild mannered and for the most part well behaved. His only vise and glad it's his ONLY vise.... Wire chewing! Drives me batty! And very dangerous!

Female: I have changed her middle name on her TICA registration form to Trouble because I find I call her that most often then not. She is also hell bent on playing with hanging frames, gets into places she shouldn't be, I can no longer keep things out of her reach by simply putting it up higher cause she can jump onto 7ft with very little effort. I don't like her climbing onto dressers, counters and tables, but she tried to find me distracted and will do so IN FRONT OF MY FACE!

I love them both dearly though - and I thank the plastic gawds for making me a squirt bottle! And the Virobi (Vileda floor robot) she will not go anywhere near that thing! I just got it last week hoping it would help pick any small bits off the floor between cleanings, but it sucks! I was going to take it back but how awful is it that I am contemplating keeping this $50 device that doesn't work for me because it keeps my cat away from any place I put it?

I think they grow out of it as they mature and the old wives tales about how your cat calms down sfter it gets fixed? BALONEY!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a climbing tree for your cats? I would not get one that is too high , I know of a cat that got hurt falling of his climbing tree that high. I had a cat that would run up my curtains when his got in his crazy moods.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

you know I finally found something to keep Noella out of trouble...cheap little cloth mousies!! I had a couple hidden away and brought it out the other day and she loves them!! Works better than any other toy she's had! Now even Nino has started to play with them. I'm going to either make some or get some more and keep a couple in my pockets for those times when she thinks trying to remove pictures from the walls is a good thing to do!!
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

How much do YOU play with him? Play with you, dragging a string around your house for example, will use up some of his energy. Then maybe he won't have to create his own games.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
you know I finally found something to keep Noella out of trouble...cheap little cloth mousies!! I had a couple hidden away and brought it out the other day and she loves them!! Works better than any other toy she's had! Now even Nino has started to play with them. I'm going to either make some or get some more and keep a couple in my pockets for those times when she thinks trying to remove pictures from the walls is a good thing to do!!
Do you mean the toy mouse stuffed with catnip? My acts would go crazy after playing with their. I am glad they never got the muchies for mice.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Well, my kitten is still crazy, but I'm trying to play with him more often to try and reduce his hyper-excited behaviour to some degree. There are certain times when no amount of play or distraction will work, and he gets on what I call a "what wall-mounted object can I knock to the ground?" mode. I do use a water spray bottle, but I don't like the idea of using it all the time, so only do so sparingly.

I'm currently reading through "How to think like a cat" in an attempt to try and understand my kitten's actions a little better. I have to admit, that I find it challenging to try and change his behaviour by means of positive reinforcement only.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Have you ever watched My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet? It's really good and I love Jackson Galaxy, he's awesome! I discovered that my Noella is really an up high cat rather than a floor cat. Unfortunately since we rent and our house is old I can't really put shelves all over for her to use but that seems to give those kind of cats an outlet for their energy. Floor cats tend to stay down low and aren't too interested in being up high. I think if Noella could she wouldn't use the floor at all!! Oh another good toy to try is a box and cut different sized holes in it and throw a few toys in it and he can try taking them out through the holes. You can get kitty sized kongs now too!
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Well, my kitten is still crazy, but I'm trying to play with him more often to try and reduce his hyper-excited behaviour to some degree. There are certain times when no amount of play or distraction will work, and he gets on what I call a "what wall-mounted object can I knock to the ground?" mode. I do use a water spray bottle, but I don't like the idea of using it all the time, so only do so sparingly.

I'm currently reading through "How to think like a cat" in an attempt to try and understand my kitten's actions a little better. I have to admit, that I find it challenging to try and change his behaviour by means of positive reinforcement only.
I hope that does not mean you have to go outside and catch mice!