Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Biting puppy

Good am everyone! I wasn't sure where to ask this question so hope someone can help! I have a 9 wk old puppy who I hand raised and bottle fed since day three! She has quite a few minor problems such as blind in one eye, cleft pallette and crooked jaw! It's been a real struggle to keep her alive but she pulled through! Now she's doing great, eating well although she still looks like the size of a 3 week old puppy!
My question is her behavior! She bites badly! She looks likes she's playing but I don't think she is. She'll bite your face or nomatter what part of your skin she gets a hold of! I've tried putting chew toys ect... In her mouth to bite instead of me but she goes right back for the skin! I guess I'm worried that it might be a behavior due from the congential defects! (Left side of her face is effected)
Can anyone suggest anything I could do to stop her from acting like a vicious dog? I'm praying its just a puppy thing!!!
Thanks,
Jodi
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:43 AM

It's definitely a puppy thing -, but something you'll need to keep working on in order to get it under control. Most puppies learn bite inhibition from their siblings and momma, so you have a bit of extra work to do

My suggestion is to stop all play, altogether if she starts to nip and bite. Get up and walk away. She should soon learn that nipping/biting = play/fun ending. The trick is to be consistent and have EVERYONE on board.

Good luck! I'd love to see some pictures too
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Marty was very mouthy when I brought him home. A dog trainer told me when Marty got mouthy with me I should push him away and turn my back to him , like his mother would do. I did this about 4 times and Marty got the message. I just gave him a light push , not one that would knock him over.