Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Vaccinations: Your Views and Theories

I am really interested in knowing what people's vaccination theories are here. I have been doing some research and am leaning towards not vaccinating anyone again! http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.co...acc2.htm#qanda

Officially the AAHA has now issued a 3 year vx protocol for both cats and dogs, but some vaccines have been shown to provide immunity for up to 7 years. As I understand the 3 year guideline just came about as sort of a compromise between these studies and what vets were willing to do that would not cause them to loose too much money.The protocol that reccomended that you vaccinate every year really came about by chance as it boosted profit and also made sure people brought their pets in for regular check ups. http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf

So I am just interested in how often you vaccinate and why you choose to do it the way you do, and any interesting articles you may have come across along the way.
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM

I only have my dog have a shot of rabies vaccine every year since it is required here. I have come across this however: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/hea...cinations.html
Hope that helps in your research.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Doggie Wench

No more rabies vaccines for our guys. I'm still up in the air about Lepto and Lyme though .
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM

I had a shih tzu for 16 yrs and she was vaccinated every year exepct for her last year which was my decision.

My new shih tzu puppy should be coming home in about 6 weeks and I will be vaccinating her every year as I had my previous dog. This is my own personal decision. My other dog lived a long time and as far as I know, any of her health concerns were from age and not the vaccines.

I really haven't looked into any new research as to any concerns with the vaccines or how long they last now. I never had problems with them before so I look at it this way, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

As with anything, research and talk it over with your vet, then decide.

Good Luck
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Master of the Drool!

I have always had any of my dogs vac. every year. and I will continue to do so. Just the normal vaccs. though. I was offered a new vac. the last time I was at the vets but I didn't feel like the boys needed it. However Matt took a reaction to either the rabis or booster last July so it warrants new discussion with the vet this year.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM

One of the best books on the subject that I know of is called "What vets don't tell you about vaccines", I think it's written by Jean Dodds, but I'm not sure.

I personally think puppy vaccines are very important for all dogs, I also like to vaccinate again when the dog is a year old. After that I only vaccinate once every 2 years.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog22 View Post
One of the best books on the subject that I know of is called "What vets don't tell you about vaccines", I think it's written by Jean Dodds, but I'm not sure.

I personally think puppy vaccines are very important for all dogs, I also like to vaccinate again when the dog is a year old. After that I only vaccinate once every 2 years.
Yeah I agree that puppy vaccinations are imprortant. I just am not convinced that they need them after the year booster.

I have read articles written by vets and immunologists that state that once a dog is vaccinated for a disease as a puppy immunity remains for life and revaccinating every year does not boost immunity as the dogs antibody level is high that it attacks the incoming antigen and effectively netralizes it.

I want to read the Jean Dodds book. I have read articles by her and she is well recognized in the field.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

By law we need to vaccinate against rabies every 3 years. Recently, our vets amended their vaccination policy to recommend the parvo/distemper/etc vaccine every 3 years, as well. But I've seen evidence that titers against these viruses remain high even if you don't vaccinate that often, so we may either drop the latter vaccine or just do it less frequently (maybe every 5 years...)

We live in Tick Central, so the Lyme's vaccination is a yearly thing for us--it doesn't offer protection as long as a viral vaccine does. If there were vaccines for anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis, and babesiosis, we'd get those, too.

Leptospirosis is also endemic here. We've been experimenting with the vaccine--it's recommended yearly, but apparently begins to lose efficacy after 6 months, so in 2008 we tried a twice-yearly schedule... Neither protocol appears to have worked since we've had to treat all 8 for lepto for the past two years. All the cases have been mild, though...and that might be because they've been vaccinated? So we're not sure what to do about the lepto vaccine this year

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't vaccinate my cat anymore (he's 16 and was only vaccinated 5 or 6 times in his life anyway). If I was to get another cat or dog, I would do the puppy/kitten series and no more, and I would do them one at a time, none of the "3-in-one" or "4-in-one" shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog22 View Post
It's actually written by Catherine O'Driscoll. Here is a great (and long) article written by her in 2005 on the subject of vaccines: PET VACCINATION: An Institutionalized Crime She has a newer book out called Shock to the System that also covers pet food issues.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM

I agree that puppy vaccinations are important. But after that no more. We don't vaccinate our dogs at all. We stopped with Luke our first dog when he became very sick after each vaccination. He would be horribly ill for a week. Then the lumps and bumps after wards all over his body. He would have these itchy hives. He even had them in btwn his toes and then be blisters, then he would walk and they would burst and bleed. It was AWFUL And these bumps lasted months on his paws! It obviously didn't make him feel good. So we stopped.
I did a ton of research and decided it was doing more harm than good.

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Adver..._estimates.htm

http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

http://www.puliclub.org/CHF/AKC2007C...20Vaccines.htm

Some of these links might be repeats but good to read if you haven't
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:21 AM

My 17 year old CRF cat hasn't had any vaccines for 3 years, except a 3 year rabies she got 2 years ago, which she really shouldn't have had & left her quite lethargic for about a week. It is clearly stated by the vaccine companies to only vaccinate healthy animals. She won't get anymore, and I have found in my kidney failure research there is a possible link between the Feline herpesvirus1 (FHV-1), calicivirus, and panleukopenia vaccines and kidney failure: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/insig...l2004/cats.htm

Have a read through here it's in pdf start on page 6 Are you over vaccinating your pets? part 1

Part two here also start on page 6 Are you over vaccinating your pets? part 2

A particularly interesting piece from part 1 of the above article:

Quote:
One of the leading independent researchers and proponents of vaccinating animals less often is Dr. Ronald D. Schultz, Veterinary immunologist and professor and chair of the Department of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine. He is one of the most prominent Veterinary immunologist in Veterinary medicine. Shultz began researching vaccines more than 25 years ago, when he first wondered why humans were vaccinated as children and then not again, but animals were vaccinated annually. His research confirms that most animal vaccines, like human ones, create long-term immunity. Shultz stresses that while it's critical to stimulate initial immunity in animals while they are young, his work has revealed that many vaccines provide lifelong immunity, making repeated vaccinations after the first year of doubtful value. To compound the situation, he has found that indiscriminate vaccination of adult animals can trigger adverse reactions.
As suggested by Dr Dodd the New Vaccine Protocols

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the information about your pets and all the informative links. I think this is a really important issue and I will continue to research it!
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

We live in Toronto, Ontario. Our dog is vaccinated according to our particular city/provincial laws - and also gets the lepto and KC shots and of course is on Heartworm - Sentinel. There was an outbreak of lepto in Toronto a couple of years ago and I am not about to take the chance. Re KC, certainly there are so many different strains of it, but in 1977 our Beagle almost died from KC - no antibiotics then to treat it. Although our current dog did catch KC in 2007, he was immediately started on vet prescribed cough suppressants and it was over in 2 days. The KC shot does help with the recovery apparently, regardless of the strain. Those cough suppressants were great - I am allergic to anti-histamines and cough suppressants and was jealous! I do keep Benedryl on hand just in case for my guy, but no doubt I would be the one to suffer a bee sting. My Eskie will turn 5 April 1 and has been very healthy.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
-

I agree about the first vaccines for puppies and kittens. My crew is older , the dogs are getting their shots every 3 years , and really , I think it's still too much. The cats are strickly inside , no more vaccines for them.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
Re KC, certainly there are so many different strains of it, but in 1977 our Beagle almost died from KC - no antibiotics then to treat it. Although our current dog did catch KC in 2007, he was immediately started on vet prescribed cough suppressants and it was over in 2 days. The KC shot does help with the recovery apparently, regardless of the strain. Those cough suppressants were great - I am allergic to anti-histamines and cough suppressants and was jealous! I do keep Benedryl on hand just in case for my guy, but no doubt I would be the one to suffer a bee sting. My Eskie will turn 5 April 1 and has been very healthy.
Sorry to hear about your Beagle. That's really sad
The thing about the Bortadella shot is that even tho they get the vaccine for KC they can still get KC.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhip View Post
Sorry to hear about your Beagle. That's really sad
The thing about the Bortadella shot is that even tho they get the vaccine for KC they can still get KC.
Yeah that's so true. At the kennel I worked at we had cases even if the dogs were vaccinated. We had one client that dog contracted it and she was irate...and we had to explain to her that the virus is air-born and that there are lots of different strains...kinda like the flu virus.