Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Urban Wolf

Just wanted to ask everyone what they thought of "Urban Wolf" raw food.I am feeding my chihuahua it and she can't wait to have dinner. Meat is not a problem because my husband and I own a Butcher Shop. Thank You
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Doggie Wench

I've never used it but found this on their site as a list of ingredients:

All Food Ingredients are Whole Ground or Freeze Dried: Natural Calcium Carbonate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Cultured/Goat Milk Powder, Parsley .
http://www.urbanwolf.cc/default.html

May I ask how much it costs?
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM

urban wolf

I think I pay aabout 35.00 for about 4lbs.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Doggie Wench

The calcium carbonate is just a replacer for bone. If you were to give your pup a chicken neck with some meat or 1/2 chicken breast on the breast bone, a tiny bit of organs, add juiced blueberries, cranberries and parsley, you'd get the same thing. I think it would be much less expensive if you just did it yourself. If you choose to feed a small portion of veggies, at least you can add variety. You can also feed eggs with the eggshell for calcium. I don't understand the need for milk in a dogs diet . We do feed the odd bit of cheese but that's more for treats than a mainstay of our dogs' diet.

Would you feel comfortable enough to not use the Urban Wolf?
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I fed Urban Wolf for a bit, and frankly, their recent ingredient changes, and the way they dealt with them, are really disappointing, IMHO.

Ignoring the fact that the mix ends up being extremely heavy in veggie content, they've recently done one of these change the ingredients, say it's just a label change (which would mean there were previously un-marked ing.) and then change the whole formula to include the addition of huge amounts of oil. For the people I know who still feed this, it was all a very frustrating ordeal with an impression of little accountability on the company's part.

So all that said, I'd have to agree with LuckyPenny.
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Chihuahua on Urban Wolf

I would not mind at all to feed my 4yr. old chihuahua Urban Wolf. It was the best that I could come up with at the time. She is doing great and has lots of energy. I went to dogfood analysis but could not find Urban Wolf, I sent them an e-mail but it came back for some reason. I will have to do some searching if their is something better. I had her on Royal-Canin Chihuahua which is not good, that is why I changed food. I would appreciate if someone could recomend a better food. Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM

If you're looking for a good quality food, I'm a firm believer in CaniSource. It's a dehydrated raw food (none of the ingredients are cooked - they're dehydrated to retain the original nutrients). They use only ingredients that are fit for human consumption and it's made in Canada with Canadian sourced ingredients. My Katie is doing fantastic on it! Compared to Urban Wolf, it would be a lot cheaper as you have to add your own meat to Urban Wolf. CaniSource already has the meat in it (it's 70% fresh beef). It's also great because it's in a kibble form so you don't have to do anything to it if you don't want to (no need to hydrate or mix anything in with it) and Katie LOVES it! She literally dances around at dinner time and if I'm not moving fast enough, she'll bark at me!
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM

I feed the Scruffster Orijen - I believe it's an excellent product.But a processed food is still processed so he also gets to share my veggies, he gets raw twice a week (I have reasons for not doing exclusively raw so let's not go there..ty). And bones of course.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

I ordered a large bag of Urban Wolf a year ago just to "have" it, just in case I couldn't get fresh vegetables at the store for some reason. (Because Japan is small, sometimes a really nasty typhoon will send vegetable prices through the roof for 6 weeks straight. Like, $6 for a head of lettuce. Ouch.)

What happened instead was the Fukushima nuclear accident and most of the food coming into the stores near me was what I considered "iffy"-- could be fine, but no way to know-- so it ended up being a lifesaver for us in a way I couldn't have predicted.

If you are a "prepper" and store food for your family "just in case", I think a bag of Urban Wolf might be something to consider. (Plus lots of cans of sardines and mackerel, of course, which are edible by not only humans but also dogs AND cats alike.)

That said, the other options mentioned above also seem very good. I guess the idea is to get something that can last in storage a good long time.

You can take the Urban Wolf out of its original packaging and put it into large mason jars for airtight storage if you prefer. Mine kept just fine in its original packaging for a full year despite the humid Tokyo climate, but once I opened it I transferred the rest into large storage jars.

Last edited by TokyoParrot; March 3rd, 2012 at 12:59 PM.