Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Chelsea at work

Here is one of her first patients!
Attached Images

Old April 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM

awwwww so cute

I'm glad to see Chelsea has really taken to her work, just adorable

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Growler - I think she is having more fun than the kids and telling her sister what she is missing as she prepares for the high jump at the Olympics.
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

a naked cat

Guess that's good if you're allergic and still want the purring ...
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

She is not naked! She is a Sphynx cat - a very expensive and highly cherished breed! And no, they do not work for ppl with allergies since it is the saliva and not the dander that tends to cause allergies. Sometimes it is the dander but not for the most part. Plus she is a Grand Champion many times over tho spayed now. (and never has been a mother - I was not putting these cats thru that even if they were in great demand)

I have two of these adorable breed. Two meezers as well. There are also other breeds with little hair like Devon Rex.

Just fyi.
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oops, sorry; didn't mean to offend you it's just so rare to see a "naked" cat or dog for that matter a Sphinx!

I'm sure she's a great cat, although not my first choice (I like furry cats, hence Misti, more fur than cat).
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
She is not naked! She is a Sphynx cat - a very expensive and highly cherished breed! And no, they do not work for ppl with allergies since it is the saliva and not the dander that tends to cause allergies. Sometimes it is the dander but not for the most part. Plus she is a Grand Champion many times over tho spayed now. (and never has been a mother - I was not putting these cats thru that even if they were in great demand)

I have two of these adorable breed. Two meezers as well. There are also other breeds with little hair like Devon Rex.

Just fyi.
I think that some dogs and cats are like good wines. You have to acquire a taste for them before you can truly appreciate the great qualities they have to offer.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

CK,I don't know if Sarah or some of the newbies know the history of why you have these "naked"kitties,the tragic passing of their owners and how you stepped in to help.
I am sure they are very expensive to buy,but you out of your love for cats took them in,you did not pay a few thousand $$ for them.
They would not be my choice either,but they are still cats and still beautiful.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
CK,I don't know if Sarah or some of the newbies know the history of why you have these "naked"kitties,the tragic passing of their owners and how you stepped in to help.
I am sure they are very expensive to buy,but you out of your love for cats took them in,you did not pay a few thousand $$ for them.
There was an episode of Friends where Rachelle purchase a Sphynx for something like $2,000.

She carried it around on a red pillow.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
Plus she is a Grand Champion many times over tho spayed now. (and never has been a mother - I was not putting these cats thru that even if they were in great demand)

I love the picture , Chelsea seems to love cuddling people
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have these wonderful cats given to me thru a living will. One of my best friends- also as pediatrician - had named me as her cat's guardian (just as ppl do for their children in the event something happens to them). They were even more valuable than most Sphynx (they are spelled differently than the ancient artifact in Egypt (ie the Sphinx)- and I only know that bec I have these 2, spelling is not my forte, lol) Alas, my friend - who had polio as a child - developed post polio syndrome and while many ppl cam do well with that ,she lapsed into a coma and I took the cats, thinking she WILL survive and integrated them into my family, talking to them about mommy, keeping her scent with them so they would know all was OK. But she died and they have been mine now for almost 3 yrs. They are sisters from the same litter and are show quality and have been Best Kitten and Best this and that and the other. They have more Grand Championships than I have patients or is that patience, lol

But I spayed them because I do not believe in ever having a cat that is not spayed or neutered - I do not care how valuable they are. Even one pregnancy can be hard on a feline and can increase their possibility of certain diseases. Pyometra et al - cancer even.

I admittedly did not know much about the breed other than what my friend had taught me when they were kittens and I would attend shows with her - that whole circuit is a subculture in and of itself Most interesting but I do not have time plus the cats are not altered!!! Tho there is a household breed but I think it should be the other way around. I honestly think cat fancy and other orgs should require their cats be altered but then of course, the breeds would not be enriched and helped thru the show process etc, etc. But I could never ever have a cat and have her or him unaltered. I would not risk their health or bring into the world more kittens!!!! I actually was seeking a Siamese who had special needs when I first discovered Pets.ca and almost adopted a one eyed Blue Point but someone got her first - someone closer which was less stressful for her. But then I found YY, yet another show quality cat who I fell in love with - it was love at 1st sight , literally and so she came home with me as soon as she could. Then this past yr, I adopted Beau who is 10 and has a plethora of medical needs, many of the expensive and there was some concern he might be euthenized or sent to a place in the US where they care for sick Siamese. My guess is he was not a stray but his family - not able to afford the vet bills- made him one. You do not want to know what I think of ppl like that - the words are not for a family site! He is such a kind, lovely cat - I cannot imagine anyone giving up a cat they had for 10 yrs!!! It ought to be criminal! Or as they say, "there oughta be a law!" Currently, his prospects now look very good, I'd even venture to say excellent- he is getting the right food, sees the vet once a week, I check his vitals all the time, I am not a vet but there are some things I can do, lol (like his BP and give him injections and so forth.) He has a heart condition but so do many ppl as they age or even when they were young. I myself had complicated heart surgery when I was eight so he and I have our cardiopulmonary "issues". I tell him he has to take his meds bec I take mine, lol He is such a sweetheart and purrs ALL the time. I think he family if they even were that neglected him because while he was very timid and shy when he 1st arrived, he is now purring and the happiest kitty all the time now. It is as if he has said to myself, "I have arrived. They wait out on me paw and paw and give me everything I want. And he is soooo smart!" And YY, therapy cat that she is, and such a sensitive soul, seems to know he is vulnerable -just like she knows what kids are - will lick him, lick his ears to make sure they are OK and she even listens to his heart after she sees me with the stethoscope. One of these days, I must try to- get a picture of that. I swear, she is trying to be a doctor or a nurse, lol Even "our" (my brother's but we lab sit, my bf and the cats and I) chocolate lab is careful with Beau and licks him and lets Beau curl up inside his great big breast when he is laid out on the floor. I wish I had encouraged my brother to get his lab to do therapy - he'd be great at it. Maybe he still can tho he has arthritis and has already had one hip operation. I think he and Beau sort if sense they share this health issue thing, <g> I am probably a little, OK, more than a little overprotective of him but he needs attention and excellent vet care and I bring him to see a cardiologist at the vet school in Charlottetown and if I had to, have the name of one in Boston as well at Tufts who I have sent Beau's records to. (I myself studied in Boston so am familiar with it and confident in their abilities in helping humans and fur babies. <g>)

In any case, I am off to bed. No need for an apology, goodness. I was just explaining what they are since I figured maybe you had not seen one before. They were developed in Canada first but there is a peterbald one that comes from Russia as well. And yeah, they are VERY expensive. I am not certain I'd have bought one tho one of my friend's (the one who died who had Casey and Chelsea since they were tiny babies) relatives informed me she was planning to give me one if she ever bred one of them tho that was not in her nature either. She may have bought one from the same breeder she had found these two at, a very reputable one.

Needless to say, I wish she was here to enjoy her delightful and wonderful kitties but I am reminded of her every day by these two lovely cats. For the record, Sphynx kitties feel like suede. (to me anyway) Thx Chico for bringing that up. I had not forgotten - it is just such a long and sad tale (no pun intended). As her mom says, at least she need not worry about her babies. Like me, she had no children and her husband - an orthopedic surgeon involved in a variety of other things- had no time for them. So now, they are my babies and I doubt they have forgotten their meomy - cats have very long memories, longer than dogs, can even recall back to kittenhood. There are some remarkable and well done peer reviewed studies that show how intelligent and the kind of memories kitties have. quite amazing!

Last edited by CyberKitten; April 10th, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes Frenchy, she and her sister love to cuddle- people and other cats and even dogs. And rabbits!

Here is one of the two of the cuddling each other:
Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM

CK I had never heard the tale That's equally tragic and wonderful.

for your friend, awesome how she put the girls first

I hope her story inspires others reading to also set up provisions for their fur family.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:40 AM

i think they are beautiful.. and what they are doing is wonderful... i havent heard of too many therapy cats... but this post makes me think of one of my mothers many.. a shy beautiful black cat raven.. who seems to knead on a person.. exactly where they are in pain.. i can attest to this.. when i have a headache.. he comes over needs on my head... my sister has had stomach issues.. there he comes and does the same thing on her stomache.. and my husband had an issue with his lungs... and there was raven needing right on that area... blows me away as he is otherwise a very quiet shy cat... but always seems to know
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

CK,that is a beautiful pic,you can almost see the velvety feel of them
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I love your kitties, CK. And what wonderful personalities they must have to make it to be a therapy kitty.

I know somebody in St Albert who had one and would bring it outside occasionally for some fresh air. She has cat allergies but her kitty did not affect her at all. She was able to walk in the park with her kitty sitting calmly in her arms.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I didn't know the story on the girls, and I have to say, your friend must have really felt at peace knowing her babies would be taken care of by such a wonderful person.

I know very little of the breed, but I'm curious, are they totally hairless? Do they have any fine hair? I imagine they might need to be protected a bit more from the cold.

I think they're quite lovely.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

They have some hair but hardly enough to see it and yes, they cannot really go outside without sweaters and jackets and these two have a larger wardrobe than I. I am used to that since Siamese are not thrilled with the cold either but they at least have some fur even if it is shorter than most. I'll write more about them later- phone call, sigh!

Have a great day everyone!
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
~Cat Servent~

Aw snuggles! That is a touching tale. And Chelsea really looks like she has found the perfect job! My aunt has two hairless (not sure if they are Sphynx or Rex... so I just call them 'hairless' even though I know they really aren't) and they are the SOFTEST cats! I at first was a little weirded out by their appearance having only had traditional short or long haired cats myself.... but once they snuggle up to you, you're hooked. And my aunt's two are always looking for a warm spot... a lap, under a blanket or sweater (even if you're still in it!). They even like to snuggle on top of the fridge together.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I've seen pictures of Sphynx's with little sweaters, so I figured they probably needed them because of the no hair thing.

I can't wait to hear more about them.

I'm sure they have a great wardrobe too.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I think your kitties are adorable, I have seen one once at the Toronto airport and the owner was more than happy to let me pet her kitty and tell me about the breed. It was an experience I will never forget.