Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Unhappy poor petie

I don't know if anyone can help me out there but here is my question or dilema. I have a 15 yr old miniature poodle, petie, who is my baby. He has congestive heart failure and coughs continuously, especially at night. He is on the maximum meds for this, enalipril, furesomide and aminophylline and now on torbutrol. I am having a very hard time with his disease and feel like he is suffering (on most days) but then there are days he seems okay. He is losing his hair and his skin is very flaky, scabby looking and his eyes are always watery. I know I have to make the decision of whether to put him to sleep or not but i thought maybe someone else may have gone or is going through the same thing with there pet and might have some helpful tips or knows a little more about what should be done. Thanks, very sad mother of petie
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww - poor old guy! If he is on maximum meds, and you still feel he is suffering, it may be time to let him go. At least you know that you gave him a very long, wonderful and happy life. You have to try and think of that.

I know how terribly hard this is, but sometimes it's the only thing we can do to help them.

I'm sorry.
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:03 PM

poor puppy

Hi,

I feel so bad for your little guy. How are you holding up? It seems as if you are having trouble making a decision that I would never want to make,, ever!
He has been you buddy for so long and now you have to watch him be sick, how heartbreaking for you. ill be thinking of you let us know what happens,
Laurie
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,unfortunately I have to agree with Lucky....sometimes we hold on,because we love them so very much,don't want to let go
However there comes a time,if living is to painful for our animals we have to do the right thing,heartbreaking as it is.
Let us know what you decide,we have a whole bunch of people here,having had the same experience,many times we think the pain will never go away and it helps to talk,even if it is on a Forum.
Best wishes and hugs to you and little Petie Anita
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM

This little guy has had a wonderful long life. Now it is time to put him out of his pain. This will be the last selfish thing you can do for him. You don't want to know that he is in pain and you could do something about it.

Dogs are really good at covering up pain. They could be in a lot of pain, but never show it.

Good luck with your decision and I don't wish this call on anybody. I had to do it 4 years ago. Broke my heart, yes, but at least it was my heart broken and not my baby.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I had to go through it 6-1/2 yrs ago with my 18yo poodle. He also had congestive heart failure and then arthritis became really bad. If you're in tune with your pet, you'll know when the time has come. You know how he is when he's suffering and when he's not. It's a hard decision, but when you know he's not going to get better, it's a little easier. The last act of courage and love! You'll feel horrible afterwards too. I remember feeling quilty because there was also a sense of relief. But then I realized it was relief that he was no longer suffering. He's so fortunate that he has the kind of owner who is there for him at this time of his life!
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

A poem comes to mind I hope this helps

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown