Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM

RE: Cat tail cut just before i leave for holidays, need advices

Hello everyone,

One on my 2 indoor cats is 8 years old, with a tail which he can still move at 85% of its capacity, this following an accident while i was away last august (it seems like he broke his tail somewhere in my flat, we'll never know what happened exactly. The cat sitter found him unable to walk, and his tail seems broken. He took a month and medecine to fully recover, but the tail is not fully back).

This to say, just as i am about to leave for 2 weeks, my cat arrived with a bleeding cut at the end of his tail, like if a sharp scissor would have cut it.

The vet checked his tail, and its seems like the cat can move it, but he does not feel any pain on it... The decision was to remove the last 2 inches of his tail since it was open to the bone.

We got him back home yesterday, and i am leaving next wednesday for 2 weeks, but i am deadly afraid about how to leave him since i cant have someone watch over him all the time. The cat sitter will come every 2 days to check on them.

He now has a bandage at his tail and doesnt seem to care about it at all (he is not munching or even looking at it). He's in shape, running and playing around as normal. He is not taking any medecine (he's got an injection of antibiotics at the vet).

The vet has given me a 'plastic necklace' to put on him so that he does not touch his tail once i remove the bandage on monday, but i cant imagine leaving him alone with this plastic thing on - it seems to cause more arm and stress to him.

Can i leave him with a bandage on his tail for 2 weeks with someone checking daily? It's breaking my heart and this situation leaves me stressed out...

Thanks in advance for your help!

emcee
(sorry about the double post, my first entry got erased)
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Does your vet board animals? That's where I would leave him.

Cindy
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

Cat staying at the vet for 2 weeks...

Yes the vet does, but my cat would be held in a cage alone for 2 weeks, not able to run around, and not with his brother cat (when they are separated one of them freaks out and miss the other... lonely).
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you spoken about this to your vet? Would your sitter be willing to pick your kitty up from the vets and transport it home when the vet thinks all is OK with the tail?

I know I would not leave the e collar on my cat unsupervised, that's for sure. The bandage I would be too afraid of the kitty trying to take it off and choking on it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a friend or family member that can stay at your place? Otherwise I definitely wouldn't be leaving the cone on. It's a good sign that he's not bothered by his tail so far. My cat also had a bandage on his tail for a while and it was never an issue. Hopefully that's the case with your guy.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd cancel my holiday and reschedule it.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM

solution...

Hello all,

unfortunately i have no one who could spend 2 weeks with the cats... and i cant reschedule my trip (flight tickets are booked and so on).

The vet told me the cat would be fine with teh e collar on for some days (5 days), and i'll have someone checking on them everyday.

I love and cherish my pets - i think its better for them to stay in their home environment than to be in a pension in cages for 5 days...

there is no easy solution...

emcee
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i think its better for them to stay in their home environment
I agree with you - just make sure the person who visits is very reliable and promises to check up on them every day without fail, particularly when he is wearing the cone. If you have a big house with places where they could get into trouble (particularly Cone-Boy), limit them to a few rooms. It will actually be a more secure feeling for them to be a little bit restricted.

Tags
cat, cut, infection, petsitter, tail