Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 13th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Jim,when I tried chunks in gravy with my cats,they too just licked the gravy left the rest,maybe your kitty prefers the Pate type just like my cats
I always add a little warm water to make it more sloppy.
Good Luck at the vets,don't panic if she howls in the car,or fights you to get her in the carrier.
My cats howl so loud when in the car,you'd think I torture them
As soon as the carrier comes out,the scatter
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Your feline needs a little space and time to settle. She is likely much happier in your home, then where she came from: fresh food, clean litter box, clean water, a patient calm person looking after her, will, all over time, give her the chance to trust you.

I agree with your girlfriend, and probably over the next few months she (the cat) will be sleeping on your head.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM
~and Trixie 2~

I'm a worrier too Jim so I don't blame ya! It sounds like you're doing a great job with her so I think soon enough she will really come around! Great job!

Angel
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

I came across this web page because I was looking for info about how to treat an abused cat.

Let me outline the circumstances around this story.

I have a neighbour who lives above me and owned a long hair black cat named Harley(didn't know this at the time, any of this). One morning I was awoken to noise outside my window from the balcony. I live on the 4th floor.
there was banging etc, but no other noise. When I went to my balcony door, I listened for a couple of minutes, then I heard a cat in distress making low growling noises. Then I heard a person say You B****, you're going over the edge!", in an angry, vindictive voice, and not one second later, the cat flew by me! I was shocked! I looked over the balcony and the cat was unconscious on the ground lying prone. I ran to get dressed and when I looked over the balcony again, the cat was lifting up it's head and trying to look around.
I ran downstairs to where the cat was, and it had moved under the hedge along the edge of the building. It was a nightmare capturing the cat and bringing it in. I didn't suffer any scratches, but got one hell of a bite on the end of my finger. I was using thinks winter glove for the process, but didn't think how strong a cats bite can be! Never been bitten that hard before, but I will live, with no lasting damage.

Apparantly it looks like Harley has sufferred more than one instance of abuse as his right ear lobe is crushed flat against his head. That is minor at this point, but I will have it looked at. Harley seems to be ok, he is moving around, not limping, but very cautious. He stayed under the couch for a full day, but is now out, but will go in behind the wall unit half the time, and comes out the other half the time. He is eating and drinking, but I have to have the patience of Job here because I have to clean up after him.

He will let me put treats in front of him, but he growls lowly and bares his teeth, but will eat the treats pretty much immediately. He is eating and drinking and I saw him cleaning. So for now I think the physical stress of any possible injuries is behind him as it has been 3 days now and he is only getting more active, not less. After talking to the vet, if he was injured internally, he would have expired pretty quickly.

I felt so useless and angry at this whole situation, and the police were no help as they believed the person who ownded the cat, not me irregardless of what I heard. That angered me more because I was told the cat would have to be returned! Well I know, the law is the law, and again it makes me feel powerless as Harley has to go back to this abusive owner. A friend of the owner was supposed to come around, but hasn't showed up. I pray to God that they don't.

I will be patient as I can and give Harley the space he needs for now and wait and see what happens. I know that cats do not like to be looked in the eyes and Harley won't look me in the eyes, except if I get to close and he hisses/growls and looks me in the eyes then. When I interact with him I try not to look him in the eyes and then I only glance.

I just need a place to be able to get this out in the open and have a place to vent, speel or whatever.

Thank you in advance for your support.
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
lol ok i bought about 6 diff treats since ive had her and she turns her nose up at all

So i make mysekf a nice spinach salad for lunch and as usual i put a little of what im eating in a bowl for her (only things not spiced and no onions garlic or choclate}

SHe comes over and starts chomping on the spinach
I just cut up some peaches and guess what she likes those too!
Doesnt like pou nce doesnt like tuna but like veggies what the hey
Kool! My Missey love banana, and cantalope! As well as various plants around the house. I know this is normal, and in the summer, I buy grass to have inside for her to chew on. Cats are carnivores, but the will eat to gain what their body needs. but it is cute and funny to watch her chow down on bananas and cantalope!
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thank you for looking after this poor baby.
As for returning him.... can he suddenly disappear? Like in - "Oh sorry. I opened my door and he took off thataway. I couldn't find him when I looked." No animal deserves to be treated like that!!!
He doesn't use the litter box at all? Have you taken him to the vet or just phoned the vet? It sounds like this baby needs a good checkup. There may be medical reasons he is refusing to use a box. If you have taken him in for a complete check up and nothing is showing could you try keeping him in one small room with a bed, litter box, his food, a scratch post and toys? Not let him have the run of the house? That may give him the idea he needs to use the box.
Good luck. Stick around and let us know how it goes.
But there is no bloody way that cat would be going back to the loser who had him!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_love_mischa View Post
I'm a worrier too Jim so I don't blame ya! It sounds like you're doing a great job with her so I think soon enough she will really come around! Great job!

Angel
I don't know if you noticed but this thread is a few years old. Jim did do a marvelous job with his girl. She is a happy, content kitty now.
You may want to consider starting a thread of your own. You will get more replies that way. And welcome to Pets.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli1327 View Post
I felt so useless and angry at this whole situation, and the police were no help as they believed the person who ownded the cat, not me irregardless of what I heard. That angered me more because I was told the cat would have to be returned! Well I know, the law is the law, and again it makes me feel powerless as Harley has to go back to this abusive owner. A friend of the owner was supposed to come around, but hasn't showed up. I pray to God that they don't.
That is absolutely outrageous. Can you get the SPCA involved? What about a vet report (did you take him in to see a vet?). Why would the "owner" even want him back? If it were me, I would tell whoever comes to pick him up (if they even do) that Harley ran away. He should not go back there!!! The next incident could kill him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli1327 View Post
I will be patient as I can and give Harley the space he needs for now and wait and see what happens.
Some tips to help you and Harley get acquainted can be found in this post:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ats#post492728

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I don't know if you noticed but this thread is a few years old. Jim did do a marvelous job with his girl. She is a happy, content kitty now.
You may want to consider starting a thread of your own. You will get more replies that way. And welcome to Pets.
Thank you for the advice, but I was looking for a link to start a new thread and I just can't seem to find it. I use different forums and they all seem to have the same structure, but for the life of me, can't find the start new thread tool!
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Actually from here it's pretty easy. Just go to the blue box at the top where it says pet forum for dogs cats and humans > discussion..... > general forum> and click on the general forum. It will open a new page. From there you will find a small button on the left side part way down that says New Thread. Bob's yer uncle from there!! Good luck!

Old April 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow,that is just terrible,poor kitty,but I am glad he has you.
I would think pushing a cat off a balcony is severe abuse,our animal-cruelty laws are sorely lacking,but this is clear-cut abuse.

Maybe Harley is hissing and growling because he's in pain
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Wow,that is just terrible,poor kitty,but I am glad he has you.
I would think pushing a cat off a balcony is severe abuse,our animal-cruelty laws are sorely lacking,but this is clear-cut abuse.

Maybe Harley is hissing and growling because he's in pain
I imagine that there is some pain, but he only does this if you get too close. So for now it is just a waiting game. We shall see. If you like, follow my thread that I started as advised to. I just hope I have the patience of Job, because I am going to need it.