Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM

My persian kitten seems to sneeze when shes cleaning herself, is this normal?

I got a persian kitten today, she will be 2 months on Tuesday and she seems perfectly healthy, she should have her shots a week from now or sos.
The kitten is active, at least as active as a persian cat can be, she had no trouble adjusting whatsoever as far as I can tell and everything seems to be perfectly fine, but she seems to sneeze when cleaning herself and this worries me. I was keeping a close eye on her since I got her earlier today, she only seenezed like 4-5 times since then and only when she was cleaning herself, and the sneeze sounds more like a blow to get rid of the hairs stuck in her nose than a mucus filled sneeze. I'm kind of worried cause her shots are due in a week from now, and I don't want her catching anything before she gets her shots.

It was kinda cold today when I was taking her home, but she didn't get to spend more than 2 minutes out in the cold, plus she was in a nice comfy box with a towel inside and I had my hand on her body all the time to keep her warm, well it wasn't THAT cold but still.

Is it common for persian cats to sneeze when cleaning themselves? I've had a cat before, a semi-long haired cat, but that was long ago and I honestly can't remember if he used to do this or not.

EDIT: Also she is a strictly indoor cat, her mom is too, so neither she, the other kittens or the mom have had any contact with other cats ever.

Just how serious can this be, I don't want to stress her and take her to the vet first thing tomorrow, she seems to have adjusted perfectly and the last thing I'd want to do now is stress her out.

Last edited by Jack1337; November 18th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
~Cat Servent~

That doesn't seem to sound serious.... if it is only when she cleans and only a few sneezes, I would guess she is maybe getting fur tickling her nose... especially with long fur. If she is still doing it, ask the vet when she goes for her shots.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
That doesn't seem to sound serious.... if it is only when she cleans and only a few sneezes, I would guess she is maybe getting fur tickling her nose... especially with long fur. If she is still doing it, ask the vet when she goes for her shots.
I see, I hope you're right. What are the chances of her catching a cold or something and if she somehow did, would it be very dangerous for her at this point?

Thanks a lot, I really need as much input on this as possible, it's late now and I can't call a vet to make sure.
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My new kitty, Maks sneezes often too. I asked the vet about it this weekend when I took him and his sister in for their vaccinations. She listened to his lungs and said he sounded good and just to keep a watch on him.

She said if he didn't have any nose discharge and was eating and playing well then to just keep a watch over him, but he might just still be adjusting to his new surroundings.

Maybe this is the case with your kitty too. She's in a new home so she might just be getting used to the new surroundings.

I think you should just keep an eye on her and keep her nice and warm and cozy, and certainly let the vet know about your observations.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Well guys, I did some more research and found this

"Answer: Persians and Exotics (and dogs with shortened noses and pug faces) often have secretions that gather in folds of their nasal passages. The sneezing "clears" the pathways. So depending on your particular cat's nose structure, he may sneeze more or less than the average cat and still be perfectly healthy. While it may be frightening to your other cats, they will become accustomed to it over time. If you cat is constantly sneezing or sneezing blood, have him examined by your veterinarian. Of course if the sneezing is accompanied by lethargy, loss of appetite, or runny eyes, take him to your vet immediately."

So I guess it's normal, her nose isn't flat like the ones extreme persians have, but it's still far shorter than that of non persian cats.

I posted this mainly to let others who might have the same fears know that it's pretty normal for persians to sneeze like this.
Still, I'd like some more replies, especially from people who own persians or very long haired cats, but it seems I really shouldn't worry too much over this.
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

When I had my foster kittens to the vet I asked about sneezing. I was told to bring the cats in if they aren't eating, playing or any discharge from their eyes or nose.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
When I had my foster kittens to the vet I asked about sneezing. I was told to bring the cats in if they aren't eating, playing or any discharge from their eyes or nose.
lol this thing is eating normally from what I can tell, as for playing, I think she is playing a tad too much, I've never seen a persian this hyper before.
I guess the sneezing really does only occur when something gets in her nose, like it only happens after she is cleaning herself sometimes of if she gets into a more dusty area in the house.
There is no discharge from the nose at all, she does have some eye matter I have to clean every day or so, but thats perfectly normal for persians.
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Jack,you cannot talk about a Persian fluff-ball without a picture,ok!!
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Did you get it from a breeder or a pet shop? I know that you can spray cats with something to make them smell good, maybe she is allergic to the stuff. Call the people you got her from and ask if they applied something on her fur?
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Got her from a breeder, and the lady had some damn fine cats there too, hope this one grows up to be just as awesome. Well there was no sneezing today, except for like twice and only when she got in areas of the house that are a bit more dusty.
And sorry guys, no pics, I don't have a camera or anything, plus I'm no big on taking pics and stuff anyway.