Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
I think you should start fostering some dogs in need... in fact, I think you should foster a doberman, a sheppard, a boxer, a rottweiler, a pittie, a dane and a husky. I will happily ship you some extra dog food if you choose to do so.

I do like Dracko's idea of the orange fencing. I'd probably do that if it were me.

I do have a crawling baby... and as a mother, it's MY responsibility to watch him at all times. your neighbor is irresponsible, and a jerk. maybe if you foster all the dogs mentioned above, they'll move.
foster a couple at a time.

This neighbour is expecting you to accommodate her on your property. I would simiply ask her not to tresspass. I wouldn't be able to be civil to this woman, she is extremely arrogant. I don't understand if she is so scared for her child, why she doesn't fence?

Unfortunately in our society, the dog is always at fault, not the parents so it is up to you to do what it takes to protect your dog.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

lol, i have an idea, print off this thread and show her what we all think of how rude and doggie ignorant she is. Not to mention where did she learn her manners from.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I think you should put up the deer fence/winter fence and put up signs that say " NO DUMB B****** THAT THINKS MY DOG IS AGGRESIVE AND VISCOUS WHEN SHES NOT ,AND IS TO IRRESPONSIBLE TO WATCH HER OWN CHILD ALLOWED ON MY PROPERTY" I think THAT WOUld get the message across

OR you could just put up a "NO TRESSPASSING" Sign up on "Her side of the fence"
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I would also put up NO TRESPASSING signs!!!! I have an awesome sign it says, "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again!" LOL put up the fencing and move on with your life, if you have to get some electric horse fencing as well to keep her away!!! She has some issues to say the least.... I hate crappy neighbors, best thing to do is document and ignore her.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM

if it were me?

id tell the lady to off and get the off my property.

but thats just me...im an of a young man, i swear
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigndano View Post
if it were me?

id tell the lady to off and get the off my property.

but thats just me...im an of a young man, i swear
Oh yes No young man is an angel lol

I too would tell her to off. You have to stop tyrying to accomedate(sp?) her, otherwise she is never going to stop until your dog is gone from YOUR property. Id call the authorities and make a complaint about her and her child wandering into YOUR yard. Then Try to explain what she is doing and saying to you so if she EVER calls on you, they already have your side of the story!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Who would give a list of unacceptable dogs to a neighbour they barely knew? This woman is either delightfully eccentric or has a bordeline personality disorder. You need to push back firmly and consistently, including telling her that unless she supervises her baby, you cannot ensure his safety on your property. If you're worried about any of this, ask the police, you don't have to identify yourself.
And make sure your insurance is up to date.
I think the fence is an excellent opener.

Last edited by badger; August 20th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking electric too, but it would be too bad for the baby to get shocked because his mom's an idiot. Maybe string up some white rope that looks like the electric rope fencing and get the warning signs that clip onto it. They usually just say something like WARNING! Electric Fence. She won't know that it's not electrified and she won't want the baby hurt right? Just don't ever let her see you touch it and find out that it's not really electric.

The plastic fencing is also available in green and black as well as orange, if you don't want to look at bright orange fencing. Some of them are made a little differently, I know I priced some out one time and some of the orange stuff was about $50/roll but the green was only $25

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:56 PM
What to say, what to say

Do you have any other neighbours with small children? You should totally invite them over for a playdate IN THE YARD. Love the doggie playdate idea too. Get all the breeds that she hates

On our street, the family with the big dogs have three children(two small children and one teen) so we are pretty sure that it's fine for the dogs to play with any other children.

OMG, this thread has unleashed all the evil sides of the pets.ca members
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM

That lady is a classic example of why I prefer dogs to humans!
I'm way less patient than you are - I'd have given her a list of humans I hate and whiners would be on top.
I agree with the other posters, you've done more than enough to accomodate her and she has done nothing for herself.
Stay outside, enjoy your yard, ignore her as much as possible, take pictures every time that kid enters your yard.
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post

I too would tell her to off. You have to stop tyrying to accomedate(sp?) her, otherwise she is never going to stop until your dog is gone from YOUR property. Id call the authorities and make a complaint about her and her child wandering into YOUR yard. Then Try to explain what she is doing and saying to you so if she EVER calls on you, they already have your side of the story!

I totally agree with babymomma, you should make the call to the police before she does. If she can't keep an eye on her wandering child, the child could end up in the street. Then ask them about if maybe you should give her a letter stating that you do not want them "tresspassing" on your property, and ask them to put a copy in their files for future reference.

Do you live in a home owner's association or does your development have a board you could go to about this?

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM

I sympathize with what you're going through. I've had trouble too with my 2 dogs "scaring" a lady who was walking in the back alley because they barked. They were behind a fence, totally friendly, but bark when strangers walk down the alley. The family immigrated from another country that doesn't see dogs as part of the family.

It would be so satisfying if you get back at her but really that would probably cause more problems, and if reported, the family with a child will win and you will lose. Unfortunately, that is just the way it would go. Not fair, I know. I think no matter how hard it is, you need to make peace with her. Can you suggest that she pay for half the fencing since it would be in her child's best interest? (Do it in person and also in a letter and keep a copy.) Maybe exchange phone numbers so she doesn't have to come on your property, ever. I would also point out that her child needs to be taught simple facts about how to and how not to approach a dog (not just yours), and that your dog and her child could form a wonderful bond. Your dog could actually help protect the child, if the two were introduced in a non-threatening way.

Anyway, back to the story of my barking dogs .... It's 8 years since I moved into my house and 5 years since the barking incident. The lady scowled at me for many of the 8 years. It took her grandson making friends with me (riding his bike in the alley) and meeting my dogs. He always smiles and waves and now she does too. The dogs are not an issue any more.
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM

just be careful in this situation with the beware of dogs signs. Theyre fine as ameasure to keep people away, however if you ever goto court for some reason, they will rule that the signs prove you were acknowledging you have a vicious dog
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

yup i would be more inclined to put up " No Trespassing" signs,i would also send the letter suggesting you two go halves on the fence, but i would put in the letter " due to your fear of dogs, and your childs wandering onto my property" in the letter just to get it out there in writing for your protection.
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampbell21 View Post
just be careful in this situation with the beware of dogs signs. Theyre fine as ameasure to keep people away, however if you ever goto court for some reason, they will rule that the signs prove you were acknowledging you have a vicious dog
That would depend on the bylaws of each individual municipality. Here, you must post a sign if you own dogs (Beware of Dog doesn't necessarily mean it's aggressive). Not doing so is an infraction. Otherwise it's looked upon as if the owners are negligent in warning others that a dog is on site.

You can go to your city hall and ask for a written copy of the rules pertaining to companion animals if you want to be sure, dogcatharmony.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Last year I had a problem with my neighbour across the street, he was trespassing, possibly peeping, he is the busy body of the block with questionable motives........Zoe rounded him up one afternoon when he was wandering through my yard (trespassing.....as the police told him and I could press charges if I wanted). She didnt' bite him, lots of loud barks and was doing circles around him like she was herding sheep, I was up on a ladder painting my garage.The officers told me to get a "dog on premises" sign therefore I was not saying my dog had any behaviours to beware of. I ended up making a hand made sign because I could not find a premises sign anywhere.

I do know from back then, the officers told me that I was doing right...my dog is licsened with the city, vaccinated and tied up in my own yard. I did some by-law reading and that is why I shortened the lead outside, because according to our by-laws even if a dog is tied up, if any part of the dog is in someone elses property it is considered a dog at large and would be subject to fines and penalties for a loose dog. So she can't even put her nose near the property line.

I really just don't trust her. Zoe hasn't given her any idea to think she may be vicious and in a way I think that is why the neighbour presses her luck with coming into my yard. I feel that she is looking for a reason to justify what she believes. If Zoe so much as curled a lip........it would be SEE, I KNEW SHE WAS BAD.

I was talking with my mother about the whole situation and she said well when you bring a child into it, it's different. A child is a human being, your dog is well your dog. Apparently I don't know how hard it is to be a mom and control a child. I am surrounded by ignorance over here.

As for seeing Zoe with kids, I don't have any kids really around me. The one boy that lives two doors asks to pet Zoe whenever he sees us out on a walk. I asked him to ask his parents first if it is ok, then talked with him about how to pet her properly. The one day my neighbour saw us on the sidewalk and asked the little boy not to pet her because you never know what could happen. He said "My dad says it's okay and she's a good dog" and off he went. His parents have already talked with me about how questionable our new neighbours are. They have different issues between them over noise and property lines and a few other stupid things.

It's like I live beside royalty.......I just didn't get the advanced notice.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Husky Addict

I had to deal with a neighbor like that once too, I had a german shepard (who was a total nut case I admit) She tried to kill our dog 3 time, we ended up finding enough proof to send her in court and some jailtime, woot.
but it took a lot of geeky camera work .

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

okay....i took a few pics to give you a better idea. There is this stupid hill and the property line is just about on top of the hill. Many many years ago when they added a basement the fill was used to create this silly bump......it just causes problems now.....baby can get some good speed going downhill.

Yellow line is property line, red arrow is dog.

And don't laugh at my ORANGE house.....maybe orange snow fence would blend in.
Attached Images

3+ cats......Surround sound
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
I do know from back then, the officers told me that I was doing right...my dog is licsened with the city, vaccinated and tied up in my own yard.
It's like I live beside royalty.......I just didn't get the advanced notice.
I would recommend thatyou get informed with the police about this. We had a problem with abusive landlord, that kept threatening to do this, to do that, but when he threatened us with "taking care" of my dog - I hit the roof. We got informed with our local police station, they told us that until an "event takes place" they can't really do nothing, as it is a case of "he said, she said", basically my word against his and since I don't have any proof... well, you know...
What he did tell me to do is write a journal, making carefully what exactly was said, on what date and time, what circumstances etc... This way, if I was EVER going to press charges and go to court, they would listen to my case far more seriously, as I would have some kind of collection of facts that took place, not just some random complaints. So the idea of taking notes and pics is great one and will serve you well, you never know. Hopefully, you will never have to use it, but if you do - you will be happy that you have it.

As far as to keep a relationship with her - you don't have to. She sounds like a miserable person and I don't see what you would be benefiting from being on good terms with her anyway. She hates dogs, thats obvious, and she will probably make your life hell anyway. I would put that fence up and the "keep out" signs, that cannot hurt. Its worth much more than $$ as it will give you peace of mind.
Another suggestion: whatever you decide to tell her, in polite or not so polite ways, please consider writing her an official letter, warning her off your property and disclaiming that you are NOT going to be held responsible if she or her child trespasses. And I would send her that letter registered! This way, you have proof that you have asked her not to come on your property and to keep her child away. I can help you with writing that official letter if you want, just PM me.
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I am a mother with a kindergartner and a toddler. If there was a dog next door to me that I was truly worried would hurt my child, especially the little one, I would never put them at risk by taking them into that dog's yard and letting them wander around, unwatched. It sounds to me like this woman either isn't really that concerned about Zoe, or she's hoping something will happen to her child so she can cause problems for you. I hope it's the first, because the second is just sick to think about. I don't know if it's gone beyond any chance of redemption, but if you could invite her over to your home for coffee, and officially introduce her to Zoe in a relaxed way, and show her how good Zoe is, that could help.
If its too late and there's no chance of that happening, I recommend putting the fence up as soon as possible. If something did happen to her child, you and Zoe would be considered at fault, unfair as it is. If I were you, I would do everything everything possible to protect myself and my pet.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwind View Post
I am a mother with a kindergartner and a toddler. If there was a dog next door to me that I was truly worried would hurt my child, especially the little one, I would never put them at risk by taking them into that dog's yard and letting them wander around, unwatched. It sounds to me like this woman either isn't really that concerned about Zoe, or she's hoping something will happen to her child so she can cause problems for you. I hope it's the first, because the second is just sick to think about. I don't know if it's gone beyond any chance of redemption, but if you could invite her over to your home for coffee, and officially introduce her to Zoe in a relaxed way, and show her how good Zoe is, that could help.
If its too late and there's no chance of that happening, I recommend putting the fence up as soon as possible. If something did happen to her child, you and Zoe would be considered at fault, unfair as it is. If I were you, I would do everything everything possible to protect myself and my pet.
I agree with it, you should invest that $$ in a fence. Maybe not all that pretty, but somewhat peace of mind nonetheless, and it shows that you were the responsible one.
that you have to deal with this, but better take care of it now, than deal with fines and such later.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM

You can't keep them happy, all you'll end up doing is confusing your dog. She's being a terribly irresponsible parent letting her child wander around your yard. Perhaps you should take your dog over to her yard, bang on the door, and give her your list of concerns:

1. she keeps coming in your yard
2. she gives you a list of dogs she hates which implies she's going to hurt your dog
3. she puts her child down in front of your dog and then snatches it away, a good test of your dog's prey drive
4. you'd like her to pay for half the fence!
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am uneasy

She sounds like a control freak (controlling others not herself or her kid). Whats that saying "Good Fences Make Good Neighbours. You might not be able to afford a proper fence but you cannot not afford to put something up to limit this witch's invasions.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
-

oh one little thought, if this chic is as big a loon as she appears to be, you might want to move zoe's little pool until you can put up a fence. Don't want the trespassing little one to drown.
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Owned by goldens

I am uneasy....

Honestly, I think your best bet is to put up some sort of fencing even if it the snow fence type. Deer fencing is a bit nicer but of course a bit more expensive. You can buy steel posts and then attach the fencing to it. I don't think you will have to dig holes for the posts, just bang them into the ground and then attach the fence.

If push comes to shove with this lady, you will lose because children take precedence over dogs. She sounds like trouble.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post

thats not a very nice thing to say about young men..

i am an through and through
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
She sounds like a control freak (controlling others not herself or her kid). Whats that saying "Good Fences Make Good Neighbours. You might not be able to afford a proper fence but you cannot not afford to put something up to limit this witch's invasions.
Totally agree here my neighbors are jerks too. We put our fence up for the same reasons. When we moved in 8 years ago we only had Lady our border collie and her kids would come into our yard and pester Lady as she was chained and wanted to play ,but they would stay just out of her reach and throw stuff at her. We kindly told the kids and parents Lady was a good dog and doing stuff like that scared her and confused her their response was they are just boys. That weekend the fence went up and they had the nerve to say "I hope this fence looks better then the one he put up." pointing to the other side of their yard. Now when we have friends over they send the kids out to kick balls against the fence these are not little ones 14, 16 the other two are now gone. Hope you have better luck.
Put the fence up and protect your Zoe and give you piece of mind.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM

The square rabbit fencing is cheap and easy to do, we did it with rebar that we buried in two feet down to make it stable on a 1 acre lot that we lived on as we had kids next door that would tease our dogs, even after talking to the parents it made no difference so up the fence went and it cost next to nothing and was well worth it.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
owned by Tucker

What about a temporary fence, like metal posts and snow fencing, you can buy some brown stuff now so it doesn't look so bad. You would still have to keep your dog tied up but it would keep the rug rat out and set some boundaries for them to stay on their own side.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
they can also get over it. i wouldnt let a new neighbor drive me out of my home. im just stubborn like that.

-ash

exactly what i would do

if they dont like your nice sounding() playful dog, its their own problem. and i agree, if she is a careful mother and wants her child to be safe, then thats okay, but when her child is coming into your dogs space, it is no way your fault. don't back down!! she is so rude

ignore stupid people like that, and unless she starts doing really wierd stuff like calling animal patrol or something just because of her silliness, don't worry about it. you and you dog should have as much fun and make as much noise as you like!! hey, i bet her son isn't as quiet as a mouse either

soter

I do!!