Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I did it, I bought a Pedi-paws.

I was perusing the aisles at PetSmart and came across a diplay for Pedipaws. I've seen a few threads here about it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

We've had some serious problems with trimming Skylar's nails (I started a thread about it a few months ago) She is absolutely impossible. We've been unable to trim her nails since we got her (in April), don't hate us Melinda! Not for lack of trying. We've brought her to a groomer, to the vet, we've tried ourselves, my sister has tried, we've been trying to desensitize her with treats etc.... She is petrified of having her nails trimmed and she becomes very suspicious of you if you fiddle with her paws too much

So today when I got home I turned the sucker on (it's pretty quiet) and she was OK with the sound, she sniffed it. Then I started to "pet" her with it, kinda like an electric massager, she liked it. So I think I'll do this for a while and get her used to the idea of the thing, perhaps I'll touch her paws with it so she can feel the vibration in her feet before I even attempt to file her nails. Lots of treats too!

I'm so afraid of her losing trust in us and I don't want to make this a traumatic experience for her. She desperately needs to have her nails trimmed though.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

lol! I was laughing while reading this - in a good way, the things we do for our critters, and how bad we feel if they are in any way upset. I sure hope it works, it does look handy.

Try not to feel bad for her or hesitate on the "trim day", go about your business like its a wonderful thing, keep the energy low and stay calm.

Keep us posted, and good luck!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

*L* stacer!!!!!! how dare you *L* how could you think I'd hate you guys??? my god, if not for you what kind of life do you think Whisper would have????? geeesh, I love you guys for opening your homes and lives for her, I could never in a million years of searching have found such a perfect home for her.........now, that said (and it was all said lovingly) make sure you are in a relaxed, "i don't give a damn if it works or not" type of mood, be watching tv with Skylar laying on you like she does....start the pedipaw....and play with her toe with your other hand..casual like...then slowly bring it to her toe, make sure you are holding the toe firmly before touch it with the file....even if she just lets you do one, or lets you touch it with the pedipaw for a second...treat her,praise her!!! *L* I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you all!!! let us know how it goes...
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG Stacer thats so funny I bought one yesterday too! We must be on the same page!

I have to say though I bought it because Winston has huge nails and I am having trouble finding one that isnt cheap or break on the nails..

Heres my experience from last night...lots of treats...turned it on and he was like Oh whats that! more treats...gradually one paw in my hand...more treats...then I touched one nail with it and he got up and ran to his crate in the basement! I know I shouldnt be laughing! So I called him back and tried again..lots of treats..good boy! oh its okay..you know the drill! I then went to the back feet since he was laying on his side and he let me do it!!!! he was a little nervous but I think it was the noise it makes and the feeling they get when their nail moves across the board! The front was much better after working from the back...he let me touch them all and it did work very well. I basicall rounded the nails off and really didnt take much off because it was day 1..tonight we will try again! So far I like it but we will have to see if he tolerates it again.

I dont have any trouble with clipping his nails normally cause he was showed it from when he was a puppy and I always have done it...but now that the nails are harder and bigger its more trouble...besides most of the nail cutters are made soo cheap!

Good Luck with Skylar!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
You can call me DOG!

Pedi-Paws

Congrats on the Pedi-Paw! I also purchase one to and a couple things to keep in mind. It takes a little longer to file down then the alternative noisy, crunching clipping method.

Not sure what kind of dog you have but if there is alot of fur around his nails, you may want to take an old nylon stocking and cut nail holes into it and slip it over the paws. This is because the excess fur around the paws could get caught up into the file compartment causing the fur to wrap around the chamber.

Excellent idea getting him use to it first and for sure give it a try. If the fur doesn't wrap around the chamber then you maybe onto a great thing for your furbaby!!! GOOD LUCK

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
border collie mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post

Then I started to "pet" her with it, kinda like an electric massager, she liked it. So I think I'll do this for a while and get her used to the idea of the thing, perhaps I'll touch her paws with it so she can feel the vibration in her feet before I even attempt to file her nails. Lots of treats too!
good work on desensitzing her to it already, just make sure you dont go straight from 'petting' her with it to her nails, try slowing moving toward the legs, the start down the legs, then the feet and then the nails ( all over a few sessions) that way its not just a sudden thing.

i honestly havent heard of this, but it sounds like a good idea, i do have alot of trouble doing enzos nails, he gets all snarly and growly, no matter how much i play with his feet ( although i am starting to play with his feet and click and treat, the clicker seems to work for just abuot anything, go figure)

let us know how it works out. if you dont mind me asking, how much was it? and do you know any place other then petsmart to get it, we dont have one around here i dont believe, prehaps when i go to the states in the spring i will have to have a look if i cant find one here.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

It was $19.99. I'm not sure where else you can buy it, but I think you can order it online.

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM

klmcallum
thanks for the advice about the furry feet - Scruffy doesn't like getting his nails trimmed or his feet de-furred..sigh...
I was thinking the pedi paws might be easier on him. Will watch this thread for updates. If it works on a cat it should work on a dog..shouldn't it?
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
You can call me DOG!

Etwon Chick:
To be perfectly honest, I haven't given the Pedi-Paws a go on "Kitty" yet although I have on Gryphon by Springer Spaniel. We recently had him groomed so that the fur around his nails is short and the file chamber so far hasn't caused him any grief. As noted, it does taken a bit longer than the traditional way. So far I have clipped the nails with a good pair of clippers then after that, I used the Pedi-Paw to file down the edges. Makes for lots less clicking on our hard wood floors.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm still getting her used to the Pedi-paws. I "massaged" her with it this evening and fed her lots of treats. I don't know why I'm so nervous to try this thing on her. I really want it to work or else I'll be putting it up for grabs in the freecycle forum, lol!

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:37 AM
Senior Contributor

stacer, YOU have to calm down *L* just do it "matter of factly" thats how we did her nails, just grabbed up her paw and between face licks we clipped them...don't take no for an answer from her, well the vet and groomer, I just held her head to keep her tongue from their faces
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
stacer, YOU have to calm down *L* just do it "matter of factly" thats how we did her nails, just grabbed up her paw and between face licks we clipped them...don't take no for an answer from her, well the vet and groomer, I just held her head to keep her tongue from their faces
Ummm...would you mind making a trip to Milton to trim her nails?

Old January 21st, 2009, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

you don't know how much I'd love to!!! not to trim nails, but just to see her..........umm and you guys of course *L* I'll bring her trainer to do the nails *L*
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM

For those that are looking to save on pedipaws:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19802

Free shipping but could take up to 2 weeks to be delivered.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
-

I bought one this morning. But don't have batteries for it. The girl at the store told me to get rechargable batteries , it seems pedipaws 'uses' them real fast ?

So any updates Winston and Stacer ?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM

i seen them at walmart the other day - think they were $14.99 or close to that
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I've had the same dollar store batteries in it since I bought it last summer (08) frenchy and I use it weekly