Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Leaving pets in cars...

So, it's that time of the year again when people think it would be a great idea to bring their pets somewhere with them and leave them in the car. If you are going somewhere with your pet in the car and plan to stop to go in a place that doesn't allow pets (even for only a few minutes), don't bring your pet!

We were having breakfast at Perkins the other day and when we got out, this idiot who was parked besides us had left 3 yes THREE dogs in a Dodge Neon. Two Whipets and one Weimaraner. Of course we were concerned about the safety of the dogs. It was a cool day out, and the windows were slightly open, but still. I can't imagine what the person was thinking, bringing dogs in the car when you're going to eat. Anyways, when we looked in the car, we saw that the Weimaraner had eaten part of the back seat, there was foam everywhere! I hope that person learned a lesson!

I just hate hearing stories on the news about dogs left in their owners cars when its 30 degrees out and the window is only slightly cracked open. Don't bring pets in your car, unless you are doing the trip to do something with them! (Vet, pet store, park...)
Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Dogs in cars

Folks around here take their dogs seriously. If someone leaves a dog in a closed hot car someone will call 911 and the first repsponder who is usually the local sheriff will simply break out the car window and impound the dog.

Usually only takes one time to teach them the lesson.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:57 PM

That's a good idea! I figured the person who did this would have his/her lesson with the destroyed car seat!
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes people leave dogs and kids in cars! Some are just clueless as to what they are doing. See it all the time.

What really bothers me is seeing dogs in places like amusement parks, to see fireworks and airshows. (not all) but most of the dogs are scared to death from the noises, and are walking all day on hard concrete/pavement. Too hot and too long for them imho!

Leave your poochies where they're comfy, cool and can get outta the sun, get some water and enjoy a snoozola.

Sometimes it's better they stay home
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats why I said not all dogs freak out, some don't! But some do and it is sad to see them so scared with nowhere to hide. I am glad you leave the timid one home thats great stuff!!!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

apparently if it is 30 celcius (75F) the inner temp of the car can rise to as high as 50celcius (120F) in less than 1 hour and 70 celcius after 2 hours (no idea of farenheit)..charlie is always travelling with me so i have a few tools to help. firstly i have purchased a concertina grate for the window, from the vet (AU$15), this is good for driving as she cant stick head out but gets a window open for breeze. when it is really hot and we go somewhere, i park in a corner under tree or in a similar safe area and tie her to the tyre or front end, she sits happily under the tree with a drink till i return(we have a nice cute collapsable bowl for water that fits in my pocket) (i never go far or for longer than around 10 mins, and i dont leave her where she will get run over ). or i just take her with me and sit her in the shade. wasnt there a new system for cars that left the air conditioner on and if it failed you would be beeped?? im sure i read about it here last year, remember that copper that had his dogs in the car?? i could not imagine taking a dog to fireworks, charlie would probably eat someone . oh and if im eating somewhere, i will onyl eat outside and have her with me, if people dont like that i wont eat there, i consider these types speciests.
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:52 PM

I don't know what some people are thinking. You would think there wouldn't be any appeal to packing up your dogs just to leave them in the car while you eat. LOL- owner probably will get the message with the wrecked seat. Some people like to learn the hard way.
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I have to drive about 10 hours to go visit my parents and we go about 3-4 times a year (sometimes more) I've had to drive down there with my dad's dog a few times, once during the summer. When we had to eat, we went in a drive through or a fast food restaurant where we could let the dog out so he could stretch his legs. We also leave the A/C on, even if we're cold because dogs with alot of fur can be very hot in cars, even if we don't feel the heat. We haven't gone down with Mako yet, but it's just common sense that a dog in a car will not feel the same way as us humans!

It just bugs me that because the weather is getting nicer, people want to do more stuff with their dogs, and riding in a car seems like good ideas to them.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Like the idiots with dogs in the back of pick ups!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:32 PM

My dad has always put his dog in the back of his pick-up and nothing ever happened to it. In northern Ontario, everybody has pick-ups and nobody puts their dogs in the truck, they put them in the box. My dad even brought his Chow Chow with him to Alaska on his Harley. I think this issue is relative to where and how you live. In the city it doesn't make sense to have dogs in the box, but I've lived in the country for 18 years and I've yet to see a dog be hurt from being in the box of a pick up.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

funny stuff- charlie has met many a dog on the back of a ute. so now every ute we walk past, she stands on her back legs and looks for the dog, i thinks she thinks that all other dogs go on utes, it is very cute when she does it and she never walks past a ute without a looksee
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

not for the light of heart....:(

Ohh this thread brings back a bad memory I thought I had forgotten!! I was driving down a major road in Calgary (the Deerfoot for any of you who are familiar with the city) Speed limit is 100 km/hr but people do anywhere from 80 - 150 depending on the day!! I was driving south, and a truck was driving north on the other side. When we passed I saw a large dog in the back of the pick up and was outraged. I looked in my rear view mirror one last time, and I saw......ready for this?? Stop reading now unless you have tissue!!

The dog must have got picked up by a gust of wind or a bump, but I saw it fly OUT of the truck, and fly through the air like a frisbee, and land with several thumps on the road. I almost caused another accident because I completely freaked out. I slammed on my brakes and pulled over, bawling my eyes out. Several people had stopped to help the dog but it was too late, and the driver had kept on going! I was devastated, still am to this day when I think about it! (sniff) I cannot believe the idioticness ( I know thats not a word but its fitting) of some people. I am appalled that people think that that is a place for anyone - children OR animals!! Makes me sick!

K, I'm done now!! Sorry if that story upset anyone....
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh Catt OMG thats a horrifying memory to have!! I would hate to have seen that and know there was nothing I could have done to help. Oh dear!

Putting a dog, a kid in the back of an open pick up is an outrageous thing to do and it doesn't matter where you live!! City, country...anywhere it's dangerous. Flying matter in the air can injure the dog, a sudden stop for any reason, open to any element of danger.

Oh Catt thats just horrifying! Stupid stupid stupid people and it could have been prevented!!!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Just because you don't feel the same way doesn't mean other people are stupid.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Do not get me started...I have seen too many horrors resulting from animals and pick up trucks. It hurts to even think of it. Why would anyone have to place their pet deliberatly in harms way?
Stopping now...bp is up...
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

before we left our last farm a cattle dog showed up one day, it was not from the area and no one had any idea what it was doing there. well it turns out the cattle sales were on, and the poor dog had fallen of the back of a cattle truck, lucky it was not injured. we took the dog to the sale yards and he was claimed by his owner who was extremely worried about him, but still he should not have been there, apparently it was a common occurance.
as far as kids go, well you should have seen the bumps and bruises we used to get, we were forever in the back of the truck on the farm as kids, and when a hole was hit, bang, over the side we all went, my mum said there were always alot of tears involved, boy my dad didnt learn many lessons?? but we did really enjoy it before the holes though.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey, I rode in the back of them when I was a kid myself.
Years ago people weren't as aware of safety as we are now.

How many kids rode in the rear of their station wagons, with the tailgate open or window down ..no seatbelt and hangin your head outside.

We learn, we grow and hopefully know better.

I can just imagine you falling out the back Mel...what a home video that would be!

Sorry for using the word stupid if it insults anyone but it truly is!
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM

We rode in the back of the pick-ups too. When we were going to and from the lake. We were all wet so there whould have been a mess in the truck. Riding in the box was SO MUCH FUN. Best memories i ever had! I think it was the whole package, going to the lake with friends... We never flew off the sides though, our roads are pretty nice (way nicer than roads in and around Ottawa), so there aren't many bumps.

I'm sorry I didn't want to start an argument. I just wanted to state that some people are used to doing certain things with their pets. Times change, and so we have to get used to these changes, but some people dont. I would never put any of my dogs in pick-up boxes, but my dad was raised that way. He would never put his dog in a crate (he considers it cruel). People do things differently because they were brought up differently. Ramsey (my dad's dog) loves being in the box, but when it snows or it's really cold and my dad put him in the truck, he scratches the sliding window to go out because he's miserable inside. I guess we're lucky he never got hurt!
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I understand, I have a dad too! He's come a long way though in changing things that we would have thought to be okay years ago. I wasn't calling your father stupid, pls don't think I was. Sometimes people do stupid 'things' but it does not make them stupid.

Lord knows I've done a few stupid things, not that I'm finished with that yet either. HAHA!
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Yeah, Ramsey is 12 now, so he's used to the routine and he likes it! But my dad babysat my Great Dane a few times and he know not to put him in the box (especially with those long legs ). I totally understand your concern though. My dad is a free spirit and nothing phases him (he brought the dog to Alaska on his Harley... need I say more) so it takes alot to get him to change him mind when he does something.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:13 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

A few years back while driving on a busy Orlando highway I was two cars behind a pick up, obviuosly driven by a moron redneck, who had his Pitbull dog in the back, tied to the tool box. The dog jumped on the tool box justas the redneck changed lanes. The dog slid overboard, dangling and choking while his rear legs were being grounded off by the asphalt. I pounded on my horn and yelled, (many other witnesses did the same) The moron flipped me a bird. I tailed him, still blaring my horn and called 911 from my cell phone.
15 minutes after the dog fell over the side a deputy pulled the moron over.
Thank God the poor mangled dog was already dead. I was enraged and crying, crying now just reliving one of the worse horrors I wish I never had to witness. The deputy was crying like a baby too. I almost went to jail that day myself..another deputy had to pull me off of this idiot, which btw, showed no emotions at all...all he got was a ticket for reckless driving & a dead dog. I can't type anymore.
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:50 AM

same here...

i never leave mine alone in a car for more than 1 minute...

Ive seen too many cases of dogs left in cars for hours.
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG that is a horrible thing to have to see too!!! ((hugs))

Growing up my dad always had a topper on his truck boxes - every truck he owned. Not sure it was much safer but at least we were protected from flying debris and couldn't fall out (Unless of course the truck was stopped and someone was leaning out, then the tailgate opened and I went flopping head first into the dirt!! LMAO)

Tim got his topper for his truck for FREE on a freecycle website through Yahoo......so no one can say they can't afford one!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I see excatly where Mako is coming from - being from a small town that ALL you'd see Dogs in the box of a truck. It's viewed as cruel and inhumane now, but I remember we wouldn't even think twice... riding in the back of the truck with your dog was awesome, and we would beg until blue in the face to be allowed. Accidents do happen though, and I still to this day have (thankfully) never seen the horrible outcome of those accidents. I guess that's what makes it hard for some people to see. To this day my dog will sit on the back seat with a heavy duty doggy harness attached to the seatbelts and the top off of the jeep. Begin the attack I know, but she loves it and she's protected - even though all might not believe it....
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

That doesn't sound so bad sammie....at least your dog is buckled in!!! I would do the same I think, if I had a jeep!!1 The top off the jeep isn't as big of an issue as an open back truck bed!! IMHO

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN: