Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Stray cat and treatment?

Hi
Just wanted to get some advice about stray cats and treatment - is it too much for a 5 month stray kitten (which has worms) to get spayed, declawed, dewormed and vaccinated all in a 24 hour period? We've been feeding the cat for the past few weeks, and she seems healthy, does all the cat things (cleans herself, plays, purrs etc.). Has anyone had any cats react to deworming medication or vaccinations in a severe way?
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I personally wouldn't do it all at once (too overwhelming for her immune system). Why do you want to declaw? Please read this: http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

A vet would best be able to assess whether or not a stray kitty is healthy enough for surgery.

I was wondering why you intend to get her declawed though? If you plan to keep her then you should be able to direct her scratching instinct to appropriate targets like a scratch pad/post.....and if she is too feral to keep inside than she will need her claws to defend herself. It would be best to avoid this unecessary and painful procedure - but excellent call on getting her fixed, dewormed, etc. Thank you for caring for this kitty and taking her to a vet!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think this should be a discussion with your vet who can assess the health of the cat. No cat who is not completely healthy should have surgery done unless it is crucial.

Please, please, please do not get your cat declawed, it can lead to a life of pain (talk to an amputee) and should the cat ever get outside and attacked it would leave it defenseless. Very cruel death.

North American countries are some of the only 1st world countries that still allows this surgery. It is illegal in most European countries.

Here is another article about declawing:

http://www.declawing.com/

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Please,please do not declaw the kitten..I realize many people do not know what the procedure is all about,but in truth it is a painful mutilation of the cats paws.
Otherwise I think you are ok,but I don't think a vet would spay and vaccinate at the same time,I've only ever had one female cat.
Currently I have 3 males with claws,you can never prevent scratching 100%,but with training and a cat-tree,cardboard scratch-boxes etc...your furnitures will be spared.
Also,thank you for giving her a home,hopefully soon,or chances are she will end up pregnant:sad:
Welcome to our Forum
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM

I have to add my voice here, please don't declaw, if you read the articles posted here you will see why. The spaying will prolong her life, the declawing will scar her for life. My cousin had his cat declawed and it was never the same psychologically or physically. Could barely walk years after the surgery because his feet hurt and was afraid and aggressive - he was not the wonderful happy, affectionate and playful pet after the surgery as he was before. It was so sad and my cousin regretted it deeply.

For the other procedures, I've had my dogs and cats spayed/neutered and vaccinated at the same time and they were fine. Mainly because they were rescues who needed the spay/neuter asap but with my non-rescues I vaccinate, deworm, well ahead of surgery. Just don't want to overload their immune systems if it's possible.

I hope all goes well.
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Unless the cat is a 100% indoor cat (never ever goes outside).. Declawed cat = Dead cat.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Thank u for rescuing the kitten.

Please don't declaw your kitten.

(I'm ashamed to admit this.) But as a person that didn't know anything about cats when I found my first cat in our garage I had Willie declawed. THEN a few years after I found out what the surgery really was like and I tell everyone I know not to declaw their cats! I now have 2 more kittens and they will NEVER EVER be declawed!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
Unless the cat is a 100% indoor cat (never ever goes outside).. Declawed cat = Dead cat.
Even indoor cats escape outside once in a while.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

All of my ferals/kitties get vaccinated and s/n on the same day. The worm meds are given a couple of weeks before they go in (if possible). Normally worm meds are given once and repeat dosage 10 days to a month later, depending on meds.
Not addressing the declawing. You have had enough good information passed on to you about that.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!