Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 6th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Cat won't eat iams

Hello all,

I have a 1 year old cat(I think) :P and I just bought Iams for indoor cats after my Whiskas finished, thought to try different brands, and it claimed to be healthier. But now my cat won't eat it, he's very hungry but won't come near it, although he tried it when I first got the iams. So i had to give him some treats and canned chicke, and after like 15 minute I found puke on the floor . so my question is should I try keeping the iams or just switch back to the whiskas, although with all the recalls I don't really know what to feed my cat now. maybe just grass :P

Locco
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

smart cat. both Iams and Whiskas are not good foods. Check out the dog/cat food forum here for some better suggestions.

I feed my cats Wellness (dry) and Merrick (wet) foods.

If your cat continues to vomit, please call your vet.

ETA: DER! I'm still on my first cup of coffee, bear w/ me. this is in the dog/cat food forum.... lol... perhaps search for suggestions is what I should of said!
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM

thanks for the reply, well thats 20$ gone damn iams ads they make you think its the best cat food.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Thats what their goal is, advertise heavily and blind the consumers into thinking it is the best.
wasted $20 isnt that bad when it comes to your pets health right
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Like everything else, you can't believe ads for products without checking labels yourself. This is a great site to find a really good dry catfood.

Cindy
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

locco,I am assuming you bought Iams at the grocery-store,one rule of thumb,stay away from grocery store petfood.
Also,a cat can easily starve himself and get sick,that's how stubborn they can be if they don't like the food,so be careful,he has to eat and drink!
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I will third what jessi and erykah said, Iams and Whiskas are no good. Depending how much you can afford there are so many quality foods that Iams, Purina, Whiskas and all the other grocery store foods can't hold a candle to. I'm not sure where you are but your best bet for finding a food that will be the best for your cat is to find a pet supply store, or pet food store (not a PET STORE!) Look at the ingredient list, for starters if it has corn of any kind in it, put it down. Don't be afraid to ask the store clerk questions about the foods, everyone has to start somewhere. We're all here to answer any questions too. Good luck, I hope you can find something healthy that your cat will like.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Flyball Mom

You can consider the $20 a donation to your local shelter, most of them will take food. Just check the label and expiry date first to be sure it's not on the recall list as Menu Foods does make Iams. Here is the list for recalled cat foods http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
You can consider the $20 a donation to your local shelter, most of them will take food.
Most stores will offer you a refund, but I like this idea better.
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Most of the good food you can get for $20! well at my pet food store anyway. The Innovas a bit more expensive but the Orijen and Solid Gold, Natural Balance etc are all very reasonable. And remember that they eat less of the good food cause they get more out of it.
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Finding Felidae to be particularly affordable ...

It's only about 50 cents more per kilo than the Iams we were getting and that's buying it in a much smaller bag. They haven't been eating it long enough for me to say if they actually do eat less or not, but so far it seems like they do. I think we might actually be saving money, which is a pleasant surprise considering we were planning a few cutbacks to afford more expensive food ...
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM

thanks guys for the replys, got some new food from my vet and he's loving it
oh and I returned the iams with np, just told him my cat puked after one bite :P he was so scared it could be from the food, so he refunded the money in 2 seconds

Last edited by locco; April 20th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

what food did you get from the vet? most foods that the vet sells aren't very good either, IMO.
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM

so, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
smart cat. both Iams and Whiskas are not good foods...
Quote:
I will third what jessi and erykah said, Iams and Whiskas are no good
Anyone care to elaborate on why Iams isn't "good"....need you to focus on only the "dry original" if you can.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Ingredients. You're paying for fillers and by products. You want to see meat, like turkey meal, chicken meal, lamb meal, etc. You dont want to see chicken by product meal, etc.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Ok, I'll assume you mean the chicken original. Here are the ingredients:
Quote:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Sodium Bisulfate, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Calcium Carbonate, Minerals [Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], Salt, Rosemary Extract.
So the red ingredients are ones I avoid by any means necessary. The orange ones are my "avoid them if you can" ingredients.

Chicken By-Product Meal: not just beaks and feet. It's the 4-D animals: dead, diseased, dying, disabled.

Corn Grits, Corn Meal: this is "splitting". When combined, the two corns probably are the first ingredient in this food, which isn't good considering they don't digest most of it.

Fish Meal: What kind of fish? Is it high quality salmon or minnows and dead floaty fish? We don't know and there's a reason they aren't saying.

Dried Beet Pulp: a stool hardener. If the food is made properly, with the right amount of animal protein and without too many fast fibers (corn, oats, etc), then stool hardeners shouldn't be necessary. They also mask a lot of mild digestive issues.

Dried Egg Product: not for human consumption egg bits.

Sodium Bisulfate: I believe this is a clever way of hiding menadione in there... Menadione is a synthetic vitamin K (k3) that was banned for human consumption. It can cause free radicals, which can lead to cancers and tumors among other things. It's just bad.

Brewers Dried Yeast: Why yeast? So many of our pets have yeast issues and the last thing they need is more yeast. On top of that most of the yeast in pet foods is a by-product of the human alcoholic beverage industry.

Does that sum it up? Compare that to a good food, like Felidae:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felidae Cat and kitten
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement
See the difference in the green ingredients? More specific meats, no citric acid (important for dogs, so I always point it out anyway), and only one grain before the first fat, and no splitting of the grains.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Honest Contributor

Iams Adult Cat Formula Original

Quote:
Ingredients
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Fish Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride
1st ingredient is wet, so after food is processed it loses 80% of its weight so falls to the bottom of the list of ingredients.

2nd ingredient is a by-product, not much meat in there (heads, feets, intestines with content, lots of bones, etc).

3rd and 4th = CORN. totally useless and indigestible filler for cats. Both added probably makes corn the 1st ingredient in this food, by weight. tricky eh?

5th ingredient is another indigestible useless grain

fish meal. what kind of fish? which part of the fish? how any contaminants and mercury? usually leftovers of the fishing industry, not human grade.

Dried beet pulp is an artificial stool hardener, laden with sugar.

Dried egg product is all the gross things you would never feed to your cat if you saw it: rotten eggs, fertilized and dead eggs, rancid eggs, cracked moldy eggs. UGH.

Natural chicken flavor... another mystery ingredient, added because there is actually almost NO chicken in the recipe whatsoever.

Does this help?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM

lol two heads are better than one.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post

Does this help?
Dunno.......

First, both of you, thanks for the time you put into your replies.

You've given me a lot of food for thought.

Methinks it's off to Feline Nutrition 101.

So, after I digest some of this, I may come back to you, K?

(I have a lot on my plate right now)
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM

For sure.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
So, after I digest some of this, I may come back to you
don't get heartburn!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:59 PM
-

I agree with Prin and Technodoll.....Iams is one of the crappier foods out there.
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Everything I know about pets foods I learned from Prin and Technodoll, they know what they're talking about, their advice is sound. Iams is no good.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??