Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM
NOT a senior member

Unhappy Minpins that won't do business outside, or inside...

Okay so I go through this every winter at some point. We get into a deep freeze and the Pinschers have the most difficult time going outside to do their business. Last I checked, it was -36 on my outside temp. (no wind), and we are losing degrees still over night.

In these times I wish that they would actually do their "thing" inside on a pee pad or papers or something...but they are so trained to go outside, that it is next to impossible to get them to go. Coats, booties...it doesn't matter, the minute they get out the door, they try to boot it back in, and I can't blame them when the mercury gets this extreme. They are real troopers though..and don't have real problems until it gets to around -25 or so.

My most challenging dog is Shadow, who has a constipation issue and considering how long it takes her to go....she would literally freeze before she could finish. Poor girl just holds it, and then we may have what we call a "blow-out" We always plow out a big area around our exit door so they won't have to jump through snow...but the physical extreme coldness just makes it near impossible for the little guys to potty outside. Last year I was forced (during a real cold snap) to bed them all up in the kitchen, with papers down, because they were going to have an accident at some point, and better there than on my carpets.

Thanks for listening, just wanting to vent here and any suggestions are highly appreciated. What to do when a dog can't/won't potty outside...and won't potty inside either??

P.S. I really hate Alberta right now.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
-

Hey Purpledomino , long time no post ! Good to hear from you !

So sorry about the cold and the dogs :sad: I don't have any advices for you :sad: other than ...... do you have a garage where they could go ?
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:43 PM
NOT a senior member

Hiya Frenchy... thanks for the welcome! Well we do have a heated garage that we go through in order to get to the door outside, and we have tried to put papers etc. down and convince them to go there. The problem is that they know that they are supposed to go outside, and not inside. They cannot differentiate that its okay in the winter when it's REAL cold to go inside...but only then. Does that make sense?

Maybe I house trained them too well. It's just so difficult for them that they are almost forced to be sneaky about it, and go in the house at some point. Believe me, we make so many quick trips outside because everything cannot be taken care of in one trip...its that cold. I've actually seen one of my Pins fall over in this type of weather...you have to be so careful with these guys.

I really don't know of any solutions other than waiting for them to have an accident...we are going to just have to try to make sure that accident is in the right spot!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Muggs has the same kind of coat as your guys, so I feel your pain. There have been times I've had to carry him back into the house (he's 52 lbs!) because he can't take another step.

Could you create their own little 'yard' in the garage? Box off an area, fill with dirt, maybe seed it? I've seen something like this for apartment balconies, might be worth a try.
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
They cannot differentiate that its okay in the winter when it's REAL cold to go inside...but only then. Does that make sense?
Of course it makes sense ! They can't know that if it's too cold outside , they are allowed to do it inside ...

I went through the same last year , we had a couple of very cold days and their paws would freeze after only a couple of minutes :sad: I have to supervise Bailey in these cases , he will walk all the way to the end of yard and then he can't come back , I have to go and get him.

I'm hoping your weather will change soon , would make things easier
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

What about that grass pad thing i keep seeing ads for online???
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Here's a couple of sites for those indoor grass patch things. Maybe if you make a little "yard" out of a few of them they may use them? The one you could maybe add grass on top? There are quite a few available on line if you do a google search.

https://www.besttvbuys.com/pottypatc...978&refcode=p2

http://www.ugodog.net/landingpage.ht...FQIhDQod1gfbKA

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
NOT a senior member

Thank-you for everyones suggestions! Poor Petie, I could not get him to piddle outside last night, and he found himself somewhere else to go.....in my BED. Ugh...spent the night laundering and slept on the couch. Woke up to -40, which it still is. Yes, I take each dog out individually (carry), then put them down and carry them back in if they go.

That potty patch is a great idea, but I am wondering if they would use that. I'm thinking that they wouldn't, just as they won't use the pee pads. I did have a thought last night though...maybe I should try to get one of those portable fire-pit things, and light a little fire close to where they go. It would create a little warmth, and maybe enough that they could actually go without freezing on the spot. I am just wondering if they are smart enough to get too close and burn themselves....I'd be right there of course.

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Could you try doing the little garden patch like MuggsMom suggested? Maybe using real grass would work. I would think if you contacted a sod place you could get a few sections of sod to place into a box like structure. That may do the trick.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Minpins that

If you go the garage garden patch put some of their pee and poos on it to encourage them to relieve themselves there again.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I came in to mention the grass patch things, but I see they've already been mentioned. Maybe you could get a piece of sod or something to convince them to start going on it since it would be real grass. Or maybe just a pot with some grass growing in it would do it since it would smell like your yard.
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

this may sound silly, but i take a old plastic crate bottom and put sand in it like kitty litter, also at the first cold snap, take a little bit of a poo and pee from one of them and put it in there !i know so well how you feel my 5 pins hate the cold, and we keep this in the heated garage and i clean a few times a day good luck hope this helps brenda and the pinsName:  PC100763.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  35.1 KB
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Santa , your reindeer are Min Pins.. Too cute

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

lol he is my santa for almost 35 yrs ,and sure does love his min pins brenda
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brenda love the pic! Gosh your DH could play Santa! look at all those good doggies! now all you need is a santa hat on all of them and DH probably wouldnt agree but I think it would make a nice Christmas Card next yr!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww,Great pic Brenda,Santa and the pups are adorableare those real cats or just a kitty-blanket??

PD,I can see how these little guys would have a hard time,-40C would put me in to hibernation
Hope you find a solution other than your bed
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM
NOT a senior member

Thanks Brenda for that awesome idea! I LOVE that picture of your hubby with the Pins, it reminds me of mine because they are true velcro dogs. We actually got through the cold snap, and had a couple days of 0 and -1 weather which was so nice the dogs actually ran around and played outside on their potty breaks. It's now down to -20 again, but still manageable for them if they go quick enough.

It's when the mercury goes down to -30, or -40 and colder (ack)...when stuff gets difficult. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
We actually got through the cold snap,
thank dog you're getting a break !

Brenda , love the picture !!
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a 6 lbs min pin who absolutely cannot go outside during the cold season. Even with a sweater, winter coat and booties - it's a no go. She literally screams in pain as she has barely anything to her.

During this time, I do use pee-pads which works for the pee only. The poop - well that's another story so I am going to start trying to keep her contained in the kitchen area (difficult since it is open concept).

Anyways - I have nothing concrete to offer as I am struggling with this myself.

Good luck to you.