Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM

My cat and balance

My cat tonight kinda lost his balance, and I'm not sure if that's something serious or not? Anybody know?
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

More details please. How did he lose his balance and for how long? Is he OK otherwise? Is he active, eating?
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Cat balance

I think that is something you should call and ask your vet about.

At a vet website:
I would worry about feline vestibular disorder (sudden onset of balance problems with abnormal eye movements). This usually lasts less than two to three weeks and clears up with or without medication. Trauma is possible (a head injury). Ear infections and ear tumors are possible (tumors do occur in young cats at times). Feline leukemia, feline infectious peritonitis and feline immunodeficiency virus can sometimes cause central nervous system problems, too.
Hi Dr. Mike, I was wondering if you have ever heard of a cat losing her balance. Our 2 1/2 year old female cat recently fell off the otoman and and then could not regain her balance for a few seconds, she stumbled and struggled but seemed to have a real hard time finding her balance. I am working with our vet over here trying to find out what could be wrong but so far he has no idea. We are going in for blood tests tomorrow is there anything I should be looking for. Thanks for your time.
I am not sure that I can help much. Loss of balance can come from inner ear disease, trauma to the cerebellum and lack of blood flow to the cerebellum from an infarct (blood clot). All of these things seem unlikely with the quick recovery. Seizures can cause many differing syndromes and maybe that could be the problem. Any disorder leading to blood loss can have symptoms associated with fainting or periods of weakness. Toxoplasmosis and feline infectious peritonitis both cause neurologic signs in some cats. These are the things I can think of but I have the impression that none of them are all that likely. Hopefully, your cat had a clumsy spell and injured herself only enough to cause temporary signs of problems. ~Mike Richards, DVM

I would definitely talk to your vet.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:55 PM

cat and balance

he was walking toward me and it looked as if he was drunk, kinda going to one side. he has fallen (he's okay didn't fall far), because of the balance problem, he has been eating, and drinking. he's wagging his tail as if nothings wrong, he purrs when I pet him.... seems he just can't walk straight. tonight he has vomitted twice, however, he is a cat that tends to hack up hairballs and things more often than the normal cat, vet said some cats are more prone to vomitting than others.
and actually now that I think of it, I did notice that lately he's been tilting his head to one side, I thought he was just being silly, playing kinda.....now I'm wondering if that has anything to do with this?....

Last edited by Sharon Debow; April 6th, 2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM

Definitely get to a vet ASAP. Some vestibular problems can be permanent if not treated quickly.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Debow View Post
he was walking toward me and it looked as if he was drunk, kinda going to one side. he has fallen (he's okay didn't fall far), because of the balance problem .... seems he just can't walk straight. tonight he has vomitted twice .... lately he's been tilting his head to one side
Ears that are red, painful to the touch, and produce a foul-smelling discharge are symptomatic of otitis. Typically, a dog with an ear infection will scratch and shake the ears or may tilt the affected ear downwards. Animals that are affected more severely may show some neurological signs such as rolling or leaning to one side. If both ears are affected, the animal may be deaf or off balance and uncoordinated. Some animals may be nauseated and vomit ... Typically, ear infections begin with otitis externa and then progress deeper into the canal to the middle ear. When the inflammation in this region of the ear is chronic, the eardrum may rupture and the infection may spread to the inner ear -- or, the infection may begin in the middle ear and progress outward to the external ear. Of the three types of otitis, infections in the inner ear are often the most severe and can lead to partial deafness and neurological problems.

In serious cases of otitis, the skin begins to form into folds in which the infection can become trapped, making cleaning and use of topical treatments very difficult. In addition, in cases of otitis interna, the skin will secrete more wax and debris that allows yeast and bacteria to overgrow, causing further disease. Severe inflammation leads to permanent skin thickening, mineralization, and narrowing of the ear canals. Once this occurs, the only viable treatment will be surgical removal of part or all of the ear canal.

From elsewhere on the site:

http://www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/ear_infection_dog.htm

It's for dogs but I imagine it's a similar story with cats.
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

One of my cats caught an inner ear infection and fell constantly. He recovered with antibiotics, but his coordination has been permanently affected. So I would say rush to the vet and get your boy started on treatment.