Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

View Poll Results: Does Dani look like a Newfoundland Duck Toller mix to you ?
Yes 14 50.00%
No 6 21.43%
Not sure but she sure is loveable !! 8 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Adopted by Dani

Is Dani a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever mix

Hi all,
I think many of you know my baby Dani but the funniest thing has happened yesterday .

We were at the vet yesterday and I saw a 4th doctor for Dani's chronic diarea/loose poo and he said begfore we start any invasive testing since her mood is great and she is not vomitting and she even gained 3 lbs this month (run on sentance I know) he is not too worried at this point.

Prin -> he wanted me to try the high fibre diet for 2 weeks and see what happens so medi-cal high fiber we are on since yesterday ...

Ok back to track before I get banned for posting off topic in this forum.

The doc told me Dani is not a golden/boder collie mix and that she is mostly
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever mix. Anyway I told the doc many people at the dog run when asked what Dani is and I always told them what Inverness told me she was that Dani is a golden/border collie mix ... They would look at me funny and say are you sure...

Anyway after doc told me she is more Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever then anything else I did some googling....

Here is Dani and below is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever so you be the judge

Dani.

Google image.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Thread Jack

Lewis,
I know this is , but I just had to point out that I'm beating you with the number of threads I've posted..haha...Wooo Hooo!!!
I caught up!!!! hahahaha
By the way...Dani is beautiful

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I think she very well could be. Usually when you adopt a mix, the shelter or rescue organization just makes their best educated guess as to what the mix most likely is, then later on, as you live with your new friend, you notice characteristics of a particular breed. I don't know much about the NSDTR...are there any particular characteristics in that breed that stand out in Dani?

I think it's entirely possible she is a NSDTR mix. even if she isn't, she's a REAL beauty! who is her little friend in the pic? another cutie!
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahealani770
Lewis,
I know this is , but I just had to point out that I'm beating you with the number of threads I've posted..haha...Wooo Hooo!!!
I caught up!!!! hahahaha
By the way...Dani is beautiful
I'm falling behind on posts Mahealani
First I was on vacation from July 14 to 30th and then I went back to work and have been so busy at the day job, then the night job is my website and I need LOTS of time for Dani as the minute she hears my car alarm she runs to the front door and waits for me to go to the dog run / (I thought I was alpha male with her , but I think she has me trained very well already)

And thanks so much SHE is a beautiful dog.
Lewis
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Adopted by Dani

The little cutey is my sister in laws puppy Charlie .
Charlie is a maltese poodle mix and he is about 9 weeks old.

Dani has become his mother .....
Here are some more pics of the two ....

(Yes another chance to post pics of Dani )
okay here is a WHOLE slew of the two of them

more on the next post ...
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Adopted by Dani

the balance of pictures

Old August 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Since the first time you posted about her, I thought she looks very much like a NS Duck Tolling, BUT the thing that makes me hesitate is that this is a rare breed, and you don't see alot of them in Mtl.
So, to get one, you have to go through a reputable breeder, who would take the dog back, and not let it get into a rescue.....
Maybe some BYB or puppymill has gotten their hands on a Duck Tolling, but it's not likely....border-collie/golden are far more frequent, and there's lots of them in puppymills and BYB. So that's a more likely mix. But who knows?!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Lewis, I think your vet is right. But no matter what she's sooo cute and so lucky to own you.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I thought that was what Dani was I do see golden in her too. I thought NSDT and Golden because of her color but she is very cute and so good with that puppy. How is the loose poop any better?
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999
Since the first time you posted about her, I thought she looks very much like a NS Duck Tolling, BUT the thing that makes me hesitate is that this is a rare breed, and you don't see alot of them in Mtl.
So, to get one, you have to go through a reputable breeder, who would take the dog back, and not let it get into a rescue.....
Maybe some BYB or puppymill has gotten their hands on a Duck Tolling, but it's not likely....border-collie/golden are far more frequent, and there's lots of them in puppymills and BYB. So that's a more likely mix. But who knows?!

This is what I was going to say. Dany was found as a stray and very probably comes from a pet store or some family breeding around here. And NSDTRs are not very common in our neighbourhood... although it would be much more exotic to say she is a NSDTR mix, I highly doubt this would be the case, but hey, you never know !
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
-

She could be but she is absolutely adorable so does it really matter?
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I thought that was what Dani was I do see golden in her too. I thought NSDT and Golden because of her color but she is very cute and so good with that puppy. How is the loose poop any better?
Hi Mastifflover.
No poop is stil a chronic problem but saw a 4th vet at Pierrefonds animal hospital and I actualy saw Dr.Major for the second time and I have found a compasionate doctor who is not in it for the money and is genuinly concerned about Dani. So much so that since I saw him last week and came back again he did not even charge me for the visit. Now that is a first for me.

Anyway we started her on a HIGH Fibre diet as of this morning with a return apointment next Friday evening.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Man do I love this dog ....
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
She could be but she is absolutely adorable so does it really matter?
Rainbow ,
Not at all I just like to feel I know my own dog breed when I am asked at the dog run or when I meet other dog owners
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I see a lot of golden retriever in her. She does resemble the NSDT, but in the pics I have seen I can see more golden retriever than anything else. And I also agree that because NSDT are so rare, that it is more likely to be a golden retriver-border collie mix. But who knows....I do agree that she is very cute.
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM

It's hard to say with mixed breeds, but it's definitely a possibility.

Her ears look kind of like my lab / border collie's ears did, though . . . I think. She's furrier than my dog so I'm not sure. Are they "flexi-ears" that can be put flat against the head as well as being out to the side?
Attached Images

Old August 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Adopted by Dani

Yes on the ears thats so funny sometimes when we walk I see her ears are flat other times they are not.
Youir dog is So cute....
Lewis
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I think she does have NSDT in her. I thought that the first time I saw here also. And as rare as the NSDT may be, I know that at the Ottawa humane society they have had a couple mixes in the past couple of years. So it is rare but possible!

Slave to Maxwell
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Your dog is probably a golden retriever mix, considering the rarity of Duck Tolling Retrievers.

Also, this from wikipedia:

Quote:
The exact origins of the breed are not known, but it appears that some Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever, and/or Irish Setter may have gone into the mix. It may share origins with the smaller Kooikerhondje.
Since duck tollers may have some golden retriever in them, that could explain how your dog could come out looking like one.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Adopted by Dani

Your probably right ,
some pictures as you can see above she is so golden yet others its so funny but she is anything but golden

Oh well ....
When people ask I just say my baby is a golden mix
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Toller?

Hi! I found this article somewhat late x3 But I hope you get this reply. I own a purebred Toller, his name is Gunner <3. And, I think Dani is definately a Toller mix! She has the same high ears, and shape to her head. If you added some white to her nose, and clipped off the rest of the body in the pic, she'd almost be gunner! My first dog before gunner was a Toller mix, but we didn't know until after he'd died. We bought another one, purebred this time, becuase of what awesome dogs they are, rusty was as gunner is, great people dogs! And he's rarely ever grumpy, (Except when I come home from the store without a present) Dani's a pretty dog <3.

-Kayla Best, NFLD&LAB
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I said yes but I am no expert thats for sure - she is really sweet and I love her adopted puppy - there was one just like it at the SPCA I was so tempted to snatch him up.

By the why where is DDO

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

I'm pretty sure the pink nose is a dead give away. Definitly a Toller mix. She is so beautiful. Duck Tolling Retreiver is one of my favorites.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy View Post
I said yes but I am no expert thats for sure - she is really sweet and I love her adopted puppy - there was one just like it at the SPCA I was so tempted to snatch him up.

By the why where is DDO
D.D.O = Dollard des Ormeaux
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Adopted by Dani

Been a long time Update on Dani

Hi All,
I know I have not been on the forums in ages but have been through a seperation back at the beginning of August and till Dani and I got settled in we had a rough time moving from parents house in laval back to DDO to a 4 bedroom townhouse I rented till I build a house in Vaudreuil which will be ready for next summer .

Met a wonderful woman in Norway on the internet who is also a dog lover and she moved in with me on Oct.5th so Dani has some company during the day. Sarah my girlfriend loves Dani and is a great companion to Dani while I am at work.

Dani who if you remeber me had chronic diarea in the beggining has been fine now since we switcher her tot eh high fibre diet at the peirrefond vet's reccomendation and she is not only a beautiful girl she is so intelligent.

She not only understands the spoken words walk,park,car, egg she even reacts to us when we spell p-a-r-k, w-a-l-k and c-a-r .

She turned out to be a loyal dog caring and even has a small side of jealousy in her. The funnies has to be if Sarah and I are cuddling watching tv on the couch Dani will go to the back of the couch jump up and with her paw pat at us till we pay her some attention.

here is a few updated pics of Dani but Inverness she turned out to be the best companion I ever had and I have ahad quite a few dogs over the years.

We will be looking to adopt a 4 legged companion for Dani next year when we move into our own house.

All the best,
lewis
Attached Images

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Yey! Lewis is back! People asked about you just a few days ago. You musta felt the vibes.

Dani's looking so good. Her fur is so healthy now. I'm glad things are working out.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Helicopter Champion

Looking at the head alone, she looks like many of the toller's that I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
the thing that makes me hesitate is that this is a rare breed
I'm not sure I would consider the toller to be a rare breed, although they may be more popular in some areas than others.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Yeah, and the bad breeders make more money when the breed is "rare".
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Boss-lady!

Dani looks wonderful, lewis. Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your upheavals but I'm glad you're happy and well.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Yey! Lewis is back! People asked about you just a few days ago. You musta felt the vibes.

Dani's looking so good. Her fur is so healthy now. I'm glad things are working out.
Prin,
missed you all BUT now life is back on track and going great...
Love Dani and sarah insists she needs a companion so I can't wait till the summer to find someone for her. Might NOT wait if the right rescue comes along.

All the ebst,
And look forward to catching up to everyones mesasges.
Lewis
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM

If you end up in the threadjack thread, there are summaries (started a hundred or so pages in) so you don't have to read the whole thing.