Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 14th, 2007, 09:13 PM

mammary lump

We've found a lump near one of the mammary glands in my 8 yr old, late-spayed female dog. Quite hard, not huge, .... I've read about 50 % of these are found to be benign, 50 % malignant.

If anyone has already been through this, I'm really wondering what to expect with vet procedures, expenses, choices, etc. Any anecdotes would be appreciated.
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

First step is usually a fine needle aspiration to remove fluid and cells which is them sent out to be examined, not much different then having a vaccine except taking fluid out instead of putting in. Cost vary I sure depending where you are, I am waiting on the results of Maya's lumps cost was $160.00.

If cancer is found you will probably referred to an onocologist, who will then give you your options and odds probably a lung x-ray will be done too.
I can't tell you anything really beyond that since I have not had to deal with Mammary cancer.

Goodluck
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown