Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Shoes for dogs??

Hey everyone, I know that hard surfaces aren't good for a dogs paws.

Now, this one guy I know might be getting a house in my neighborhood, if so, he plans to put a rottweiller there to serve as, well, a guard dog.

I didn't give him the idea, he's had a dog before, but I see this as perfect oppertunity to be with a dog.

Anyways, after eid (Islamic holiday, it's at the end of Ramadan. Were currently 17 days into it.) that we will know whether or not he's getting a house.

Anyhow, I plan on taking care of his dog as he will be alone. So I'll take him for walks/runs, clean him, play with him, all that good stuff.

But since it's all concrete here, I have no place to walk him on soft surfaces...

So my question is

Is there any kind of shoes for dogs?
For walking on concrete?

I know dogs ventilate through their mouth and paws... If I took sone kinda soft fabric and wrapped it around the paws (neatly) and wet it, would that suffice?

I'm honestly just pitching in the dark here, could use some (constructive) opinions or suggestions if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance,

Ibrahim
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; August 26th, 2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Abe if you google shoes for dogs you will find all kinds of stuff but here is one I can think of at the moment!

http://www.muttluks.com/

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Ibrahim, I think the dog would be ok walking on concrete. When I've seen dogs with shoes its usually to protect their paw pads against salt in the snow or extreme temps. I could be wrong though

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Onster, happy Ramadan/أمبارك عليتش الشهر !

Anyways, apparently a dogs paw will wear down or deteriorate (something like that), when subjected to Walking/running on hard surfaces for long periods of time.

My issue wouldn't be just the hard surface, it's the heat aswell, so I'd need a shoe that has good ventilation.

Thanks Cindy for the link, I was just pitching in the dark with the dog shoe idea, really happy they are real lol.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

are there no parks or anything you can go running with the dog on, to give it a break from the concrete? thing is the dog might not like to wear shoes

and thanks, kol sana wenta tayeb ramadan

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM

I could, but that's a good 20-30 minute drive. I Plan on doing it when I feel I have enough control over him/her.
Aaand, when I figure out a way to not dirty my sisters car with dirt or saliva lol, she'll kill me.
I was thinking of buying some covers and laying them where the dog would be, or I could buy a crate.

I'm currently looking at ways to make dog shoes.
Open to suggestions if anybodys got any.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Floppy Dog

My personal experience with dog "shoes" has not been very good. We've tried them several times on our dog and they either don't stay on or she litterally steps out of them. The only people I know of who have had any success have been mushers (sled dogs wear shoes to keep snow from bunching between their pads) and hunters who hunt in the Thompson Okanagan where we have cacti. Once the dogs get a cactus spine in their pads, they're ok with wearing the shoes.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to walk the dog in the early morning or late evening when the pavement has had a chance to cool. Also, if you want to go with the shoes idea, perhaps getting the dog used to them as soon as possible before you start taking him for a walk?

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here's place that sells shoes

http://www.handsnpaws.com/c=rAIwqAsK...Fasteners.html

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Flopy dog

I don't plan on making him/her wear them right off the bat, like you said, I'll try and ease into it.
My mom likes to sew, so I think I can create a good shoe that's got good ventilation. I mean, if people use duck tape, how bad could being more creative be?

Happy cats, buying isn't an option for me, because the shipping is a huge factor, and it's too expensive for it's quality (I think). You could make them at home if you find a comfortable and well ventilated model.

I'm just so intrigued with dogs wearing shoes lol.
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I found several websites for instructions on making your own dog shoes. I have never put shoes on my dog so cannot attest to any of these but you might want to give a look.

http://dogshoes.net/dog-shoe-tutorial.htm

http://domestikgoddess.com/sew-your-...ter-dog-boots/

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/diy/boots.htm

You know what I think I'd try first? I have seen little childrens' socks that have a non-slip base so they can function as little slippers. Rotties are not small dogs, they might fit. Maybe you could modify them with something to provide cushioning? And a piece of velcro to keep them on? Could you find any kind of child's sock?
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Yeah yeah those child socks with the grip on the bottom. I was thinking of getting some kind of grip like material to put on the bottom.

I thought about socks but, they might tear with maybe the first use. I thought of putting multiple
Socks, but i need to make sure its ventilated.
anyways, thanks longblades I'll be sure to bookmark each link.

I just hope he goes through with getting the rottie .