Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Unhappy Stubborn Cat

Ok here's the story:

I just decided to adopt my first cat after moving into the big city(Toronto). After cat proofing my apartment and getting all the essential cat stuff i went and adopted a 2 year old male kitty. He supposedly came from a good home and spent very little time in the shelter. In addition he was fixed and all his shots were up to date. So I brought him home to my place and set the carrier down in the living room. Silly me, I should of put him in my bedroom and let that be his safe room. So in the middle of the night i heard some loud scurrying. I immediately woke up and started looking for him. I could not find him, until I noticed a small hole which lead up to a small area above the ceiling( i have no idea how he got up there). the area is very small vertically but very long horizontally. just enough for a cat to get in.

About 300 cm high and 3 meters long....i can barley stick my head in to see him with a flashlight....

I 'm pretty sure he can come down again there are some small platforms he can probably jump down to to come back to the living area.

He's been up there for about 5 days now. I put food and water close as a i can to him (in the living area) but he's not eating or drinking it.

I'm kinda worried he'll starve himself to death out of fear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my kitty is here <= entered here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My living area is down here

Thanks for your help. :sad:

Last edited by nnikol; January 29th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

A cat cannot live for long if it doesn't eat - it develops fatty liver disease. If you absolutely cannot get him down, is there a way to get food and water up where he is?

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Unhappy

I did put some dry food and water up there before i left today and my roommate says he's eaten some of it and drank some water so that's a relief. Of course he's probably doing his toilet stuff up there too I don't know what to do next. I'm afraid if i just leave food and water up there he'll stay up there forever
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG nnikol,I don't really know,but I would try with some really smelly food,a can of people-tuna would do,not many cats can resist that.
But don't leave it there,try to entice him down.
If that does not work,you might have to call the shelter and they can get him out with a catchpole,which would probably stress him terribly,but he HAS TO come down.
Please,if you get him down,somehow cover that entrance up. Good Luck
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Unhappy

I called my landlord and the previous foster home. I would be cutting a hole in the ceiling to physically remove him, I don't think my landlord willing to put a hole in the wall to get him out. And I that will probably frighten the heck out of him and will probably go in even deeper not the mention the danger of one of those sharp cutting tools poking him. And he's about ~8 feet (2.5 meters) in and according to the sites I've looked at there's no cat grasper that long that I've seen.

The foster home doesn't know him that well they only had him for a little while.

I tried putting some fancy feast on the platform before i left for work and i came back and it was all dried out on not even one bite eaten.

I really nervous, why wont my kitty come down

Last edited by nnikol; January 29th, 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
proud to be a cat slave

At least he's eaten something..

Chico had a good suggestion - using smelly food - you could also try a ribbon or something to get him down - with a soft, calming voice. Otherwise, you'll need to call a shelter to get him down - patch up the hole, and take him to the vet to see if he's okay.

Good luck let us know how it goes!

Old January 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM

eeep 5 days is a really long time for a cat. Can you call the shelter where you got him and see if they can help you get him down. If it was the humane society they have all sorts of ways of getting animals out of small spaces etc.. Or try your appartments super, maybe he can cut another hole in the ceiling to get him out, and then of course close them up for you.

Because he's in a new place and you are new to him his nerves have gotten the better of him and he just may not want to come down, I think your going to have to make another hole big enough so you can get to him out.

If you don't want your super to know is there someone you know who has carpentry skills that could cut a hole and then patch it for you.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM

sorry to repeat I was writing and posted at the same time others did.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Most shelters or Humane Societys have catchpoles that can be extended.
I would call the shelter you got the cat from,I am sure they will help,not wanting the cat to die up there,which he will.
Chances are he is already weak from not eating and drinking.
As for the super,either way he will not be happy,if the cat should die up there,a hole will still have to be made.Poor kitty:sad:
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Unhappy

The hole option is not possible there are to many places for him to go, I would have to make multiple holes, and I really don't think my landlord would want that and would have to be the last option(plus i don't want to get evicted and the kitty dies). My landlord is not a animal person and he could care less. I guess I could call the human society to see what they suggest.

I got the cat from a private home and they're not willing to help.

I'm gonna grab the most delicious tuna from grocery store to try and lure him out. I'm a nervous wreck i can't do work I just think about my poor kitty.

Are the things like cat pheromones that can lure cats out or am I dreaming in HiDef.

Thanks for your help guys! If anyone knows a master carpenter please tell me that can do the job quietly please tell me .

Last edited by nnikol; January 29th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Cat pheromone spray might help to calm him down,most pet-stores sell it.
I have plug-ins for my cats.
I can imagine how you feel,it must be terribly sad for you,please let us know how it goes.
Humane Society just HAS TO help,that's what they are supposed to do,your poor kitty is in trouble:sad:
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

You have to lessen his fear. Don't go near the hole except to leave food.
You don't have to creep around but no loud music or, especially, loud voices. Talk to him quietly when you are nearby, in a very soft but natural voice. Promise we won't call you crazy

Absolutely try the pheremones, they also come in a spray can (I have one called PetEase, made by Naturvet). Spray around the entrance to his 'den'.
Do you have a way to make it easier for him to come down? A four-legged ladder or a piece of tall furniture? I know he can make it on his own but a little encouragement might be needed.
Get some catnip and leave it around.

He won't come down while you're there. You'll just have to hope that wherever he is in the apartment when you come back, you can get to the hole first. Have something on hand to plug it. I think he will eat if left alone. I wouldn't worry about starvation just yet. Nevertheless, tempt him with cream and smelly food.

So he's basically in a 3-metre tunnel? Can he go any further?
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I agree - you should call the humane society ASAP - the kitty needs to get down or he will die up there, and unfortunately, as chico2 mentioned, you'll STILL need to get him down.. :sad:

Old January 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Ok update....

I called the Humane Society and they were very helpful, they said not to panic he's in no real danger. They recommended some cat pheromones and something called rescue remedy that can calm cats down. I'm going to leave work now and pick them up. anyone know where i can find this rescue remedy in the Markham/Scarborough area.

Would catnip be a good idea i don't want him to hurt himself up there?

I not sure if he can go further in, but he's pretty far in to begin with.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescue Remedy is available at Loblaws here, but health food stores always have it. It is one of the Bach Flower Remedies. You can add some to his food if it is something smelly and meaty, otherwise put a dropperful in his water.
Leave some catnip in a saucer somewhere in the room, maybe even in another room, to entice him and draw him away from the hole once he gets down.
For the pheremone spray, you have to go to a specialty pet store. I know Petsmart has it.
Good luck. Stay calm, tell him in your most soothing voice that he's being a complete ass, a great life awaits him.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

nnikol,

I feel so bad for you and your newly adopted cat! What a dilemma! Any luck yet? He must be so scared.

Think he is too scared to jump back down on whatever he used to get up there? Without tearing another hole in the ceiling, can you make a ramp of some kind? Like a kitty tree, that he can see and feel more comfortable jumping onto?

Anything to tempt him, as others said....if you can get some tuna in a can - very fragrant - and put it on the top of the ramp or ladder or whatever would reach just below the hole. Maybe a tall bookcase or entertainment center just below the hole. I would suggest not putting the food up in the hole if you can construct something below - in your living area.

One of my cats, Stanley, loves to climb the ladder into the attic if we go up, but he is very timid about coming down the same way.

If I think of any other ideas, I will post them - in the meantime, keep us posted and good luck.

Diane
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Thought of another idea, do you have an area rug, say 8 x 12 feet. If so, roll it up tight, like it would be in the store. Prop that at the opening of the hole.

Maybe he will come down it??

Diane
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I forgot this, make sure you have something to cover that hole when you get him down. Cardboard....anything.

Diane
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

When Imoved my cat Tuffy hid between my ceiling that the upstairs floor ( I was in a basement apatment) She stayed up there for 2 weeks, I went there daily to feed and water her. I finally borrowed a humane trap, put tuna in it, and she was caught in the middle of the night when the house was dark ad quiet.

You may want to try a humane trap and have the place empty and quiet, he may some out to explore.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Unhappy

well i've done pretty much verything you guys have told me to do minus cutting a hole into the wall. The exit of that hole is a kitty's heaven albacore tuna, catnip, purina temptations even cat pheramons i'll i can do now is play the waiting game.

Oh and i dropped some rescue remedy in his food and water.

And if all those things do not work i'll have to put a sedative in his food and then take him out.

man i'm so anxious, they told me to calm down cats can sense my discomfort

thanks guys

P.s how big isthe humane trap, because if its bigger than 300cm high then i'm outta luck.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM

i wonder if these guys can help http://www.aaawildlife.com/ or do they only do wildlife?
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:23 AM
~Cat Servent~

I hope he comes out soon... have you tried contacting the fire department? My next choice would be someone in wildlife removal, they may charge but have plenty of experience getting animals out of places they shouldn't be and may have tools for the job.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:34 AM

here's some pictures

[/img]
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

He's so close! I'm guessing he can't get any further. Keep talking, keep feeding, he'll come.
Has he used the litter box?
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM

nope he did not use it yet he hasn't come down so i don't even think he knows its there.
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM
proud to be a cat slave

That he'll come out soon!
I think the wildlife rescue would help you out - but they might want to cut another hole - you'd have to check with them.

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM

they have a control pole thats long enough to get him, however its gonna be real tough and he's gonna hate me for a long time...its a LAST resort and there's no humane trap that can fit up there as i can barley fit my head inside

SIGH
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well I say let them get him out... it'll be maybe an hour or so that he's panicky, but then you can get him in a safer room, have food and water and litter and maybe a small box for him to hide in, and he can then start adjusting to his new home.... safely! I say look at it like a bandaid... better to rip it off fast. Get him out asap, the longer he is in there the harder it'll be to get him out and the more that will become his safe spot and he'll keep retreating there every chance he gets. Cats are very resilliant animals, he is just scared and unsure. Once you get him out, he'll see he has somewhere nice to live and settle in.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I agree - a little bit of stress for him (and you!!) right away is better than having him up there for god knows how long..

If they can get him out and lock him up in your room you can cover up the hole and then work on gaining his trust - with the rescue remedy etc., that you've already purchased, it might not take long.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Old January 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM

tried coaxing him out but he just wont budge, i put the food on the outside counter lets hope he comes out for it.