Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 18th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Need Advice

I'm new!! I've been reading your posts for awhile and now I need some advice. I have a large furry dog named Austin his is mix of St. Bernard/Great Pyrennes and we run in the forest every morning and he loves mud puddles. He gets completely dirty so I leave him outside to dry off and off comes the dirt and he can come inside again. However,when it rains he hates it outside and wants to come in. Any suggestions on a good shelter for him? He is 140lbs of love.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

The best shelter is in your house! LOL!

I keep a couple of big fluffy towels in the front closet. Very handy for those rainy days.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Sorry but the best shelter is your home. I presently have 3 dogs here, one at 95lbs, one at 100lbs and one at 60lbs. They are all long haired. They all come inside and stay inside. They are in and out in inclement weather. I towel them off and let them dry out in a back room which we refer to as "the mud room". Once they are reasonably dry, they get brushed out and into the rest of the house they come. If their paws are really ucky, then I pail dip them and dry them off. My theory is that if you have that large a dog you had better be ready for a bit of clean up. Not helpful, but my opinion.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Can't you pen off an area in your home that he can stay in until the mud comes off ? (kitchen, bathroom or laundry room) where the floors are easy to clean ?

You have to post picture of this boy,(please) he sounds like a beuatiful mix

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Agility Addict

At my dog park, there' a very large newfie/st. bernard/Pyrenees mix - he's very active right now because he's young and gets FILTHY - jumps in all the mud puddles too! Anyway, she was getting annoyed at having to clean him after every walk so one rainy day she showed up with a human raincoat on him! It was funny but didn't work!! He was spotless where the raincoat covered him but his legs and back end were gross!

She's given up - now she has to hose him down and towel dry him everytime!!

It was quite amusing to see him trotting along with a rainjacket on though!

I would't keep him outside - it's not fair just because he's a mud-puppy!!

Melissa