Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 17th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

What to do?

I have posted a few times here about Spencer and his separation anxiety when we leave for work. We were keeping him in the bathroom with 2 baby gates on the door (he could jump over one), and last week he learned how to get the gates off the wall. He did it two days in a row. On Friday, he had the gate off before we could even get out the front door.

What we have been doing (for the last 3 days) is just leaving him loose in the house. I make sure that all of the doors are closed to the bedrooms and bathrooms and block him from getting into the basement so he is safe.

Spencer is only 6 months old, and can not go all day without going to the bathroom. This is why we don't want to crate him while we are away. We put puppy pads down in the kitchen for him by the door but he doesn't seem to use them. We are new in the neighbourhood and don't have anyone to go let him out during the day.

I am afraid that Spencer is going to get confused that he can pee in the house all day but not at night when we are home.

What do you suggest?

BTW, the separation anxiety is much better now that he isn't locked up. He doesn't even bark or cry when we leave.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Re the puppy pads, suggest you try and different brand - and put newspapers on top. My dog wouldn't use them w/o the newspapers and others have told me same. Also re the scent that attracts your dog to the puppy pad - some nust do not appeal - others appeal to the point that puppy thinks they are a snack - so need to find one that works for you. I know there are many people who feel there is never a need for a dog to eliminate in the house - and to those people I suggest they hold it for same length of time - sometimes a grown dog can hold it all day and other times not. Suggest you have a place where you put down newspapers etc. where your Beagle will know that he is allowed to go - and leave them down day and night. If she starts to chew the papers because it is fun - this might happen - then try and teach her that chewing papers means going into the crate - or something else that she does not like. My vet, groomer and the lady who boards our dog as needed all agree that a dog needs a place to go. I have also had a Beagle as did many other people of my acquaintance at the time - and all followed this approach.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:44 PM

About the bathroom thing, it seems like he wouldn't use the bathroom if he was kept in his crate (dogs don't want to go where they sleep).

Quote:
BTW, the separation anxiety is much better now that he isn't locked up. He doesn't even bark or cry when we leave.
Was he ever crate trained? Maybe that's why he was barking and crying when left....he's not used to it. Have you tried putting him in his crate with a bone or something to chew on and then leave?

Just suggestions.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Spencer has his crate that he used to sleep in at night (he is now in bed with us) and he still uses it in the car and likes it. The general rule is that a dog can hold it for their age plus one in hours. That would mean that he could hold it for 7 hours and we are gone for 10. I don’t want to force him to go in his crate because then I am training him that it is ok to do that and he will continue to do it.

He has used the puppy pads before whe he was in the bathroom. I don't want to use news paper because I have been told that it is a big no no. Too confusing for the dog because if you accidentally leave a paper on the couch or something, the dog with think that it is ok to pee there.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Some thoughts...

It will definitely make it harder to get him house trained. My hubby & I once tried to train a pup to go on a newspaper while we were at work. Started with having her locked in the bathroom with the newspaper, then as she got more run of the house, we moved the newspaper closer and closer to the door in the hopes that she would go to the door when she wanted out. She wasn't fully house trained until she was about 2 years or so old. Even after she was old enough to stay outside during the day, she would pee and poop in the house. It was like she waited to do her thing until she got into the house. Have you looked into the dog litterbox idea? I know that I saw another thread that was talking about that. I would suggest a dog door, but I don't know what your housing situation is, or if you would feel comfortable with one. Some people worry that if you have a dog door, someone will break in. We've got a huge door (about 15 inches wide by 23 inches tall) so that our Newf will still be able to get through it when she's full grown. As my son says, someone would have to be an idiot to go into someone's house if they had a dog door that big - he says "Big dog door = Big Dog! Duh!"