Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Dog toys

Sophie has tons of toys of her own, including doggie stuffed animals but she is always stealing the baby's toys. She likes the bean bag animals and the things with rattles in them the best. My neighbor gave her a little stuffed Dog out of a happy meal and she loves that thing. Wonder if it smells like food?

So I guess next time I go shopping for toys I'll take her with me and let her pick some out.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM
banned user

Is she stealing the babies stuff toys cause i had that problem with mine he would have his stuffy but then he would go after my kids stuffies.. so now they put their stuffies up high.. just like their balls brut loves any balls from tennis to soccer balls so they have to put them high up.... good luck...
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM

My dog Desia used to love toys that smelled like people. We always got him those cheap little stuffed animals from the Goodwill and he LOVED them, maybe b/c they smelled like another persons house, I don't know. As soon as we started getting his toys there, he seemed to always know they were his and he left our stuff alone. Could your dog be jealous of the baby? My mom fosters young children and last year we had a baby (obviously taking up a lot of our time/attention) and my cat Candy went a little crazy..we would find her sleeping in the baby's crib or sitter chair, on the change table, one time (to my horror ) I was watching TV with the baby sleeping on the floor in her chair, looked over and there was Candy sleeping on top of her! She'd meow and stare at me when I'd play with the baby...once I realized what Candy's problem was, I started giving her quite a bit of extra attention and she stopped pretending to be a human baby.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM

I think maybe she likes them because they smell like the baby. She knows which toys are hers and she tries to keep them away from the baby, lol. But she helps herself to his stuff. She never used to play with her leash until the baby got it in the car one day and chewed on it. Now she keeps jumping up until she can reach it and pull it off the desk. Then she'll lay on the floor and chew it. Maybe she does want to be a baby. But sometimes I think she gets more attention than the baby!
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Could be jealousy

Like CrazyHippie said, this could definitely be a jealousy thing. I wouldn't let my dog take anything of my childs. I would say no, take the toy away from the dog and give the dog one of his own toys, just like you would if you caught him stealing one of your shoes. If he learns early that the baby's things are not his things, you will probably save yourself from hearing "MOMMM, the dog ate my (insert item here)" when the child gets older. If you think it has more to do with the smell, I would take a toy of the baby's to give to the dog but wouldn't allow him to take any others. Just my opinion.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM

My doggies like brand new toys and toys that belong to other dogs... Not much else. Spoiled spoiled.