Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 24th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Has anyone tried CANISOURCE dehydrated raw food?

I just switched my 6 month old puppy from Orijen (she was refusing to eat it) to Canisource, which is a dehydrated raw food. I'm not thrilled with the ingredient list (although it is 70% meat) but she absolutely looooooooves it, so I'm going to stick with it for now. I am also topping it up with some extra protein and fat (veal, liver and egg white mixture), to bring it up to the fat/protein levels of most puppy foods.

Has anyone else tried Canisource or another dehydrated dog food? I tried NRG before, but she wouldn't touch it - plus, Canisource doesn't need to be rehydrated. I have also be looking into Honest Kitchen, because the ingredients look a little better, but it seems more expensive and its not made in Canada.

I only bought a small box of Canisource, so if anyone has any opinions or suggestions for other good dehydrated food, let me know.
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Doggie Wench

Is there a reason you want to feed dehydrated as opposed to fresh raw? I'm thinking that if you'll be adding meat and organs, all you have to do is add some bone and you have a balanced meal .
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM

I'm not willing to go fresh raw right now - I'm weary of the bacteria, the cost, and I also don't feel as though I really have enough knowledge to make sure she is being fed properly - maybe once she is an adult I will feel more adventurous, but as a puppy, I'd rather mix some cooked protein with her commercial food.
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM

I was given samples of Canisource at a petstore to try but never did. Knowing more about Dog food then I knew back then it would not be my first choice
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I've been using CaniSource for my Katie for several years now and she's doing amazing on it. I do agree that Raw is the best option - but for my personal situation, it's not feasible. CaniSource is a bit more cost effective than raw and I do believe she's getting the same results as she would on raw - greatly improved health, clean teeth, fresh breath, improved joint mobility (she's 12 years old), small poos, etc. Out of curiosity - you mention you're not thrilled with the ingredient list - what are you not happy with?

The things I know about CaniSource that made me choose it over every other dry food: all the ingredients are approved for human consumption (not "human grade" - there's no regulation on that term); uses 70% fresh beef - not over processed meals so there's all the original vitamins and minerals - not synthetic stuff; the ingredient list is very simple, they don't use any of the tricks that the other foods do like ingredient splitting. On top of all that, I love the fact that it's dehydrated - not extruded. It ensures that Katie's getting original nutrients and not garbage, man-made stuff. Plus I can't beat the fact that she loves it! She still goes crazy for it all these years later. The only downside of the food is that it is only available in beef. I wish they would come out with another protein source so that I can do rotational feeding with her. It's best to be able to give her a variety of foods as not one food has the perfect balance of all beneficial nutrients. So for now I incorporate variety by giving her some left overs like chicken and pork with fresh veggies and or fruit once in a while. But I would be all over another protein source for CaniSource! Just my 2cents!
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Canisource

Hello...I have been using Canisource for a few months as a supplement to my pups home-made diet. I think it is the next best thing to a home made diet but I don't feel confident that they are getting all the micro nutrients that they need. I also give them a supplement just to make sure they are getting the calcium they need.