Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Unhappy Found a cat! How do I rescue?

Hey everyone!

I found a cat in the parking lot I park my car everyday, downtown Toronto, on Bellevue (sp?) Ave, the 2nd street behind Toronto Western Hospital.

He is very friendly so I assume he has been around ppl before, he came over right away when I called. He even let me rub his belly! The sad part is he is blind in one eye (it's clouded over), and his paws are really dirty and his fur is really coarse .

By how dirty his paws are he appears to be homeless. Winter is coming and I hope I can try to find him a home or space at TCR or something!

I've never done this before so I'll need step by step instructions if you guys think I should find him a home. If this sounds like a case of an outdoor cat, I dunno what to do. Advice?
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm sure some TO folk will be around shortly to help guide you. I just wanted to say, thank you for trying to keep this guy safe .
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM

If we had the room and money I would take him in, but it's just not possible at the moment. I'm doing my placement at TWH right now, maybe if it was 6-7 weeks later and hired I would have taken him asap but it's not.

I'd like to bring a carrier with me on Friday and bring him to a place that has space but I don't know how quick the turn over times are with rescuing. I read the Stray Rescue Application but it seems like that may not help unless I foster the cat until someone wants to adopt him but it's just not doable .

It broke my heart to leave him tonight, he even sat in front of my car a few feet away wondering where we went. But he is aware enough to stay away from cars, cuz when I started my car he went across the lot. If I had a spare dog crate I could keep him in my bedroom away from my 2 resident cats who would prolly go nuts if they saw another cat come in. I dunno if I can risk it though. So here's hoping for a miracle!
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Do I contact animal services? Friday is almost here and I dunno if I should take a carrier or not cuz if I have to bring him home cuz no one else has room or can take him I will not have a bed to sleep in!
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Awesome Member

I would Google Toronto Rescues, call them and tell them the situation.

I wouldn't contact animal services, I've never been a fan of them. They usually take them to the pound.

Rescues are usually no kill, unlike most shelters and humane societies.
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks Akadma! I emailed Annex Cat Rescue. Fingers crossed they have room. I really don't want to contact animal services either because he would prolly be better off living outside instead of a death sentence.

I've got my eyes/ears open for anyone who can take the cat but no bites at the moment. Will update if I have any, meanwhile keep the advice coming please!

Took a pic of him with my BB, dunno why it's soo big, I will resize tomorrow:
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Awesome Member

Awe he's adorable! I don't think he'd have a hard time finding a home.
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadma View Post
I would Google Toronto Rescues, call them and tell them the situation.

I wouldn't contact animal services, I've never been a fan of them. They usually take them to the pound.

Rescues are usually no kill, unlike most shelters and humane societies.
Just want to add on to this comment... be careful with the word "rescues". IMO, it's best to ask anywhere you take a pet what their euthanasia policy is. I volunteer at a humane society here that is strictly no-kill, but some are. Each organization has a different policy. The title of the group doesn't necessarily mean they do or don't euthanize and just because a hs or shelter in one city doesn't euthanize doesn't mean that all of them are like that... always best to check. It's been in my experience that usually groups that are strictly all fosters out of their homes are no-kill, but again, best to check.

Unfortunately, most organizations that are funded through the government (i.e. City Animal Shelters) have an open door policy therefore they have no choice but to euthanize when they receive too many animals in and not enough are adopted out.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Thanks cassiek! Will ask if any have room!

I wish it was a few weeks later where I was hired, moved to a bigger house and I could help with a donation or fostering.

5 more weeks of volunteering at TWH though
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollface View Post
Thanks cassiek! Will ask if any have room!

I wish it was a few weeks later where I was hired, moved to a bigger house and I could help with a donation or fostering.

5 more weeks of volunteering at TWH though
Thanks again dollface for taking him in keep us posted!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Got a reply from North Toronto Cat Rescue:

Quote:
Hi Lindsay - First of all, thanks for caring - half the population turns a blind eye.....
But the sad truth is he is another dumped animal and will not likely make the winter from what you described. He was asking you or help which is why he came running - He has no where to go - However we have 175 of these in right now - all off the streets - and in total I have personally taken in over 1,000 over 18 years as I cannot just turn my back and not care.... but again, we are full as I believe are other rescue groups so it is now up to PEOPLE such as yourself to take action. If you call the SPCA, Animal Services, etc. they will destroy him as they always do with these dear souls....and as a human beng, please do not do that - Do you have a friend who can put him in their garage or a room in their house to save his life??? It is just so easy.... We can help with Vet bills, etc. but we receive no funding, trying to look after 175 animals twice a day and run the only NO-KILL, NO-release, NO-cage shelter there is - It is, in itself, extremely worrisome to try and keep the doors open....so I would ask you to help and take him off the street PLEASE - he really needs someone who cares!
If you need more info, please call me on my cell ###-###-####.
Donna
I was afraid of this .

When we pulled in the lot this morning, we could see white bowls on the ground, so after paying for a parking slip, I went to investigate and there is kibble in the bowls, better than nothing I guess. I meant to bring a can of food today but I forgot it .

I'm gonna see if my sister still has that spare dog crate that some tenants left and see if I can persuade the bf to let us "shelter" him until someone has room for him
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Mickey, my angel

I know you do not have a large place and you already have your hands full with your two kitties, but I really hope you can take this deserving fellow in until something else can be done or someone else can foster him.

What they told you is absolutely correct. Judging from his friendly nature, he is either recently lost or abandoned (most likely the latter, unfortunately) and yes, he will have a terrible time out there and will not survive. Having him temporarily in a small room (bathroom, laundry room or whatever) is far better than risking leaving him out there for another day. I don't know what downtown Toronto is like but it is likely not the safest place for a friendly cat to be.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Catlover2

You said on your other thread under Cat Behaviour:
"Just a quick Q: Per my "Found a cat" thread @ http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72963: what would the repercussions be if I were to shelter the cat in a crate in my bedroom, doors closed? Forrest meows all day everyday, so I don't know if that would upset the new cat at all or if Gizzy would sense anything amiss?? Or does this have bad idea written all over it? I don't want another cat, I just don't want to see this cat suffer the cold winter. But at least someone is feeding him something...
So this is what it feels like to be between a rock and a hard place."

You said yourself "I just don't want another cat", so why are you considering it? Yes, it would upset Gizzy & Forest to have an unneutered cat in your apt. Even if they couldn't see him, they could smell him. Yes, it has "bad idea written all over it". I know it's hard to see a cat suffer by being homeless, but I strongly recommend that you find a relative, friend that would be willing to foster, or contact some resuce groups outside of Toronto. I wouldn't jeopardize what gains you've made in Gizzy & Forest's relationship by doing this...you've worked too hard to have achieved some level of harmony and tranquility in your home.
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Willing cat servant

Caring and helping often requires some sacrifice, easier said than done I know but if you want to save his life, maybe you should consider fostering him.
He's adorable, please he found you, there is no someone will take care yeah this encounters make us worry and our lives complicate a bit but it's worth it to save a creature's life. Just please, consider fostering and eventually he'll find his forever home <3
Like someone said he's a worthy fellow and he deserves a chance to live. Or find someone that you trust that could foster the kitty, a friend, family, use some persuasive charm.

I've been in your shoes in the past, as a student, then out of a job once (I mean in a difficult situation to foster animals) and all I could tell myself was this: I don't know how am I going to solve this but all I know is that I can't turn my back, leaving the creature to its fate is not an option. So I took them and some went to my parents, a puppy I found I contacted a group of students who helped animals to find a home and I kept my cutie for 3 months and he grew and pee, and poo and it was only an apartment, and I had 2 cats, and be patient and careful, and I had to walk him every day and clean every day but the situation solved and he got a good chance, so did the others. It just requires an extra effort and I never regret to have done that and I'd do it all over again any time <3

Last edited by Koteburo; October 8th, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I live in a 1000 sq ft apartment with Avon boxes everywhere, there is literally no room unless I crated him in our bedroom behind the tv wall unit and even then it would prolly be borderline cat abuse so maybe i can use my empty avon boxes to make him a house?
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Willing cat servant

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound bad or mean all I say is don't give up on finding a possible answer to help this little guy please
That nose it's too cute and pink to be left outside
My concern is about the winter. Maybe try friends and family, co-workers and other no-kill rescues
I wish I could help you and the kitty with this.
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Willing cat servant

Any updates on the kitty cat?
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound bad or mean all I say is don't give up on finding a possible answer to help this little guy please
That nose it's too cute and pink to be left outside
My concern is about the winter. Maybe try friends and family, co-workers and other no-kill rescues
I wish I could help you and the kitty with this.
Koteburo - Sometimes kitties do better outside if that is the life they are used to. My guys in the Catuary spend most of the time outside still in the winter. They go into their house at night and long enough during the day to get warmed up. The rest of the time they are outside. Most of them on the roof of the big house. If kitty has a winter shelter built for him and someone to feed him regularily he would do fine. As long as he stayed away from vehicles that is. Other than that the only other option would be a shelter. I know most rescues are more than overflowing right now because people can't be bothered to fix their cats.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Koteburo - Sometimes kitties do better outside if that is the life they are used to. My guys in the Catuary spend most of the time outside still in the winter. They go into their house at night and long enough during the day to get warmed up. The rest of the time they are outside. Most of them on the roof of the big house. If kitty has a winter shelter built for him and someone to feed him regularily he would do fine. As long as he stayed away from vehicles that is. Other than that the only other option would be a shelter. I know most rescues are more than overflowing right now because people can't be bothered to fix their cats.
You're right.
Actually my parents "Catuary" (I love the Catuary word <3) they spend all day in the garden and terrace. The house is in Mexico although in winter it does get cold, it's not like in here of course. Lately my mom has been calling most of them to sleep inside. But the ones with bad habits like spraying (even after neutered) sleep in the terrace, it has a roof and furniture. She also makes cute boxes with pillows inside and an entrance hole for the winter (even decorated).

You know, I found some ease in your words about this kitty cat. I was kind of worried and that pink nose captivated me XD haha
But you're right, if he has a shelter to sleep and be safe from cold and feed daily he'll do all right. But if he's friendly enough to live with someone I hope eventually he can get adopted to a home <3